Question Co-location Move Downtime

How much downtime would one expect when moving a server from one Data Center to another?

how long is it turned off ?
    does it run it's own domains dns ?
    will you have already setup the IP address etc before it's moved ?

we shifted out of 3 buildings and into our suite recently and managed 100% network availability and individual hardware piece downtimes of between 4mins and 3hours

3m24s : one server that only came up from 2nd floor to 3rd floor, cabling etc and power alreday run @ new location, scrws unbolted, kvm connected, su- , shutdow -f now.
    as soon as the lights went out ran it up 2 flights of stairs, slid on rails , plugged in and powered up, then ping tested from 2 external and 1 internal location

3h5m: blew up a switch - had to go back to the office, collect the spare, take the spare to new location, connect, configure, then move kit

average was 11m/server
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

The server would be moved to the other location which is only about 20 minutes away from where it is currently located. So less then 1 hour of power off time.

The server runs it's own domains DNS.

What do you mean about setting up IP addresses before moves?

Regards,

ok, the dns is your biggest concern ,, that and *presumably* unless you have an AS# and PI psace, you'll be getting new IP addresses ?

so site www.xyz.com is on your box, which is called ns1.abc.com
    so xyz.com domain whoi shows ns1.abc.com and ns2.abc.com as the authoritive namserevrs for the domain - i.e you are providing DNS for you clients.

so assuming no caching etc, after the move i want to visit www.xyz.com, my machine gets the namservers, then is informed ns1.abc.com, then has to go query that machine - so needs to know it's IP - so asks the nameservers for abc.com - which *probably* still resolves to the old IP's

so, drop the TTL on your DNS to say 30 minutes a few days before
    let the caches around the net xpire
    *before* you take the machine down, login to your domain and update the nameserver registration entries to the new IP's of your nameservers
    change the ip's on your NIC to the new IP's etc
    shut the box off
    by the time you get there that info will have started to be updated (propogated)
    within 48 hours hopefully less everything will be fine
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Thank you very much for the info... You clearly answered what I really needed to know before I start my move.

Thanks again,

Originally posted by Netroom
    Thank you very much for the info... You clearly answered what I really needed to know before I start my move.

Thanks again,
    This is looking like a dead thread, but being I just moved all my clients to a our new datacenter, I figured I would chime in.

The key to pulling this off is doing all the prep work before you move it. You set the TTL's low, have the machines new home ready on the other end, change and flush the name service before you halt the box, and then down it and do the deed.

If you have to move a name server and make changes via Netsol, your best bet is to put up a temp box, migrate to it, make the changes, and run in both locations until its propogated.