Question Account backups via Cron Jobs - package the account

Has anyone ran across a way for a client to setup a cron to run a backup and have it FTP somewhere? or run and generate a backup within their account?

Again this is directed to running a cron so they do not have to login to their cpanel.

I was basically looking for something like what

/scripts/pkgacct username

does. It makes a full backup of the accounts (including sql) so the client could upload and run a cron to execute it.

Anyone know the answer to this?? - I am interested in it too.

Thanks
    Daniel

It's simple to run a cron job to back up individual accounts. You can do automatic FTP backups by piping the username and password information to the ftp command, but a simpler method would be to used rsync to perform the backups. You can set up individual cron jobs for each user, and have rsync synchronize the data.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Thanks - If I did do it the /pkgacct way, is the username and password you are referring to the one for the FTP account ???

The reason I am interested in the pkgacct / restorepkg method, is because I have done it manually before, and needed to restore from a backup - and had no problems doing it this way.

Thanks again,
    Daniel

Originally posted by djblamire
    Thanks - If I did do it the /pkgacct way, is the username and password you are referring to the one for the FTP account ???

The reason I am interested in the pkgacct / restorepkg method, is because I have done it manually before, and needed to restore from a backup - and had no problems doing it this way.

Thanks again,
    Daniel
    Anyone know if this can be set up in Cpanel for each individual to use on their own account ?? - IE, A predefined cron job ??

Thanks
    Daniel

Remember normal users don't have permission to the pkgacct scripts.
    Cinu
    SupportPRO.com -Transparent Technical Support for Webhosts
    Let the PROs handle your support

Originally posted by cinu
    Remember normal users don't have permission to the pkgacct scripts.
    Cinu
    I didn't realise that.

Would it be possible to duplicate that script, but only allow it to pkgacct their account (and give them permissions to do so) ??

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

Yes it is possible to copy the script or give users permission to access the script. But normally the script will pack the user account in the form cpmove-username.tar.gz and will place it in /home or /home2 where the users dont have permission to write. You need to edit this so that the resullt of pkgacct should be placed in the users home directory.

Thanks
    Cinu

Originally posted by cinu
    Yes it is possible to copy the script or give users permission to access the script. But normally the script will pack the user account in the form cpmove-username.tar.gz and will place it in /home or /home2 where the users dont have permission to write. You need to edit this so that the resullt of pkgacct should be placed in the users home directory.

Thanks
    Cinu
    Any idea how this would be done ?? - Would the script have permissions to move it from /home to their own directory ???

How would I give a user permission to this script?

Thanks for your help

Daniel

Hello,

Again there may be lot of problems running this script in user permission even if you copy the script to users home directory and chmod it to user execute permission . The script will try pack mysqldump and you will get a "permission denied". I don't know shell scripting in detail; but only the very basic.
    Anyway I don't recommend you this method. Instead the user can use the backup option in cpanel whenever they wish to do so.....

Thanks
    Cinu