Question Any other design sites like DesignOutpost?

Are there any other sites around that work on the same principal as DesignOutpost.com?

I am quite impressed with concept of setting a price and having designers competing to win the job. Some of the work being produced is outstanding!

I am looking around for somewhere that I can outsource a number of jobs that I am starting to get - web-site/template design, logo design, banner design and flash & multimedia work.

I am familiar with elance.com, guru.com etc where you can put your jobs out for bidding, however, interested to know if there are any other good sites along the lines of DesignOutpost.

Appreciate any recommendations.

Thankyou.

Why don't you just outsource the work to indeed designoutpost.com ?

I am looking around for somewhere that I can outsource a number of jobs that I am starting to get - web-site/template design, logo design, banner design and flash & multimedia work.

Hello. Don't know if I can help or not, but what would be the main purpose of the sites you are looking to develop?

---> Information?

---> Forums, blogs, chat?

---> Business $$$

Let me know here or via PM

Cheers

Design Outpost solicits designers to submit work on spec, which devalues the graphic design industry as a whole. It advertises that designers provide services and goods that they may not ever get paid for (and most who submit their work for their "contest", don't). Why should this matter to you? Once this practice becomes mainstream in one industry, others will follow. Also, you get what you pay for, and the tiny stipend they offer designers is pitiful. Sounds good to you? It shouldn't. There are risks attached with hiring desperate designers, and anyone who would submit work on spec, all for an $80 per logo "prize" is lacking in experience. This could end up making you, not them, suffer. Even if they provide a design that you feel looks pretty good. Too many risks to cover here. Still, there are some very affordable (almost too affordable) alternatives you can turn to with a clear conscience and some stability attached.

Pick a designer first, and have them create your products second. If budget is a concern, there are other bid board sites for graphic design projects that don't require designers to submit work on spec, but does let them publically compete for your project, as outlined by you. You can see samples of their work, which is all you really need to see to hire the right designer for you, and compare the quality with their proposed fees. That way, you can still get a good price, and see the qualifictions and design samples of your persepctive designers, without requiring any of the competitors to work for free. Also, when you do get down to designing your product, you can have more control over the imput and back and forth of the product edits. Just do a google search for "freelance graphic designers needed" and several freelance bid boards will come up. A few hints: don't necessarily go with the lowest bid if you can afford it. Compare bid prices with the quality of their work, and the experience they bring to the table.

If you want to focus on higher-end talent, go to the industry guild magazine, Communication Arts at commarts.com and review the portfolios. Email the designers who fit the bill, and tell them what you ar looking for. If price is a big issue, say so, and don't be afraid to tell them what you can pay up front. You might be surprised that you can afford a higher-end designer without settling for questionable ways in which to do it. Good luck!

I teach graphic design at the college level, and am a high end graphic designer. (My work isn't posted on any of the sites mentioned, in case you were wondering.)

I teach graphic design at the college level, and am a high end graphic designer. (My work isn't posted on any of the sites mentioned, in case you were wondering.)
    You have got to be kidding...right?

You are a high end web designer that cannot afford to host your company website on a server that isn't a free isp space?

http://users.erols.com/dcdoyle/about...vicesmain.html

Also..you state on this website..
    proud to cater to an impressive number of Fortune 500's and other well recognized leaders of industry
    wouldn't you have your own domain name and not host your web development companies website on a free erols internet domain? That is so incredibly unprofessional.

That way, you can still get a good price, and see the qualifictions and design samples of your persepctive designers, without requiring any of the competitors to work for free.
    DO participants do not require designers to work for free. I caution you to examine your statements prior to writing them. This statement is not correct for all users at DO. If you knew more about the inner workings of the site and the people that run it you would know more information and not make blanket statements.

For Instance, I recently paid every designer for entering my contest, regardless of whether they won or not.

OPEN MOUTH INSERT FOOT

Additionally if you send emails and post messages, you should not state false and misleading information about those people that use or operate DO. It is one thing to have a position, it is another to LIE when attempting to act on your position. Postings on the web will eventually make it to the search engines and everyone will be able to see your lies.

Hey there

I agree the poster has made claims about Design Outpost that are simply wrong. We do not need to make the discussion *personal* against her.

Actually the portfolio looks good. And given the way the web works I do know one can work for fortune 500 companies before you have a site set up. I was consulting for Unysis and Pensare with a website that did not work for a time. I was way too busy back then to develop my own website. So I'd give this person the benefit of the doubt here

Best
    Dr Renee Levant Oracleweb & Learn Community!
    http://www.oraclewebhost.org

dcdoyle;
    your comments about Design out post is totally wrong, i work in the multimedia sector myself, and studies mobile telecommunications, and was never told that contests are bad, who said that contests are bad?

1-i join the contests to have fun, and i dont mind losing, this is almost on every grafix and animation site i joined. Flashkit, CGtalk, ....all have contest sections.

2-I'm sure you never read contest rules in design out post, or did you look into a logo contest, contest holder (always) pay before a contest is held.

3- here is 1 example portfolio of designer that work on design out post , you figure out what makes us join DO:
    - http://69.193.62.97/portfolio/LOGOS/INDEX.html
    Most designers at DO are talented and creative, there are certain limitation on joining the design team, so you see, it's not open for everyone to join the team.

i highly recommend designoutpost.com .
    Poised.com - Marketing with Passion
    Tamer o'kail - Creative Director

hello all here,

Ive been a fan of the site for a long time, and enjoyed reading the posts and watching the activity here. This post has caused me to "awaken" and make my first post.

dcdoyle is a teacher I have had from Maryland Institute College of Arts. And from experience (and as you can all see in the post) she rarely has an idea of what she is talking about. Like most teachers you will find, especially in the design field, they think they are the cat's meow, because they have 20 students a semester following every word they say. Most of her students realize once they get out in the real world, is that she never had a clue what she was talking about, and one month in the field teches you more than she taught in 4 semesters. Her latest attempts at these "threats" seem like she has gone over the edge.

I work now for a well established design firm. We perform "specs" as she puts it - ALL THE TIME. What better way to land a possible client than to show them your hard work and dedication through spec work. We have picked up some valuable customers this way.

She writes in her post here that $80 for a design, shows the designers lack of experience?? Hows that? Ive only been to design outpost a few times, and from what I can tell, they have some pretty top notch designers there. They produce quality work, even if it means only 80 bucks. As a true designer, half of why I wake up in the morning is cause of my passion and desire to design. God forbid it ever came to it and I was getting 2 dollars an hour for what I do now, theres a pretty good chance I'd still be doing it. Ive got the design "itch" and it makes me feel good knowing I can provide a client with my talents.

Design isnt about how much you have to pay for a piece of work. I have never seen a contract saying, since we charge "x" dollars, we guarantee work of this standard. There are solid designs out there being made for 50 bucks and crappy ones being made for 1000 bucks.

My last question, and what I think sums up Colleens credibility is her statement, "... and am a high end graphic designer". What exactly is that Prof. Doering? Does that mean you only overcharge a client? Does that mean you think you are so good, that the small businesses can't rely on you to give them quality time and designs? Who decided you were a "high end designer".

Pretty damn funny if you ask me.

To the designers who design at design out post, and to potential clients. The end result desired is, a happy customer, with quality work. If you are happy, and the designers are happy, that tells it all. Heck, read any freelance design book nowadays - a key to getting a foot on the ground is PRO_BONO work, aka work for free. Is that wrong too?

Case of an old school wanna be designer being afraid of technology.

You all completely missed the point of what Doyle was saying. I happen to agree with much of what s/he said. Doyle wasn't making a rip against DesignOutpost in particular - s/he was talking about the negative economic effects that a site of its type has on the industry. And s/he was dead-on about the dangers of hiring a desparate designer.

Moreover, Doyle plainly said s/he teaches graphic design at a college, which could easily explain why their isn't a "professional" website selling him/her. Once you have been in the industry a while, the need for an online resume of sorts begins to diminish anyway, as more and more of your work becomes repeat clients or word-of-mouth.

I'm not saying Doyle is completely honest about his/her claims or that DesignOutpost shouldn't exist - but please people, quit acting like s/he personally insulted you. Graphic designers as a whole are a hugely underpaid class, and the point that DO is helping that trend, as well as getting users into risky situations, seems perfectly valid to me.

Originally posted by MICAstudent
    hello all here,

Ive been a fan of the site for a long time, and enjoyed reading the posts and watching the activity here. This post has caused me to "awaken" and make my first post.

dcdoyle is a teacher I have had from Maryland Institute College of Arts. And from experience (and as you can all see in the post) she rarely has an idea of what she is talking about. Like most teachers you will find, especially in the design field, they think they are the cat's meow, because they have 20 students a semester following every word they say. Most of her students realize once they get out in the real world, is that she never had a clue what she was talking about, and one month in the field teches you more than she taught in 4 semesters. Her latest attempts at these "threats" seem like she has gone over the edge.

I work now for a well established design firm. We perform "specs" as she puts it - ALL THE TIME. What better way to land a possible client than to show them your hard work and dedication through spec work. We have picked up some valuable customers this way.

She writes in her post here that $80 for a design, shows the designers lack of experience?? Hows that? Ive only been to design outpost a few times, and from what I can tell, they have some pretty top notch designers there. They produce quality work, even if it means only 80 bucks. As a true designer, half of why I wake up in the morning is cause of my passion and desire to design. God forbid it ever came to it and I was getting 2 dollars an hour for what I do now, theres a pretty good chance I'd still be doing it. Ive got the design "itch" and it makes me feel good knowing I can provide a client with my talents.

Design isnt about how much you have to pay for a piece of work. I have never seen a contract saying, since we charge "x" dollars, we guarantee work of this standard. There are solid designs out there being made for 50 bucks and crappy ones being made for 1000 bucks.

My last question, and what I think sums up Colleens credibility is her statement, "... and am a high end graphic designer". What exactly is that Prof. Doering? Does that mean you only overcharge a client? Does that mean you think you are so good, that the small businesses can't rely on you to give them quality time and designs? Who decided you were a "high end designer".

Pretty damn funny if you ask me.

To the designers who design at design out post, and to potential clients. The end result desired is, a happy customer, with quality work. If you are happy, and the designers are happy, that tells it all. Heck, read any freelance design book nowadays - a key to getting a foot on the ground is PRO_BONO work, aka work for free. Is that wrong too?

Case of an old school wanna be designer being afraid of technology.
    This is one of the more immature posts I have read on WHT. You don't sound old enough to have graduated college.

However, if you're happy working in the graphic design field and being underpaid, then I will give you kudos for your dedication. However, I don't know designers with any measure of success in this industry who are churning out $50 designs. Not even desparate ones. I think your credibility is as questionable as Doyle's.

immature cause its honest?

I respect your thoughts, but you are completely off base.

How do you measure success, by the zeros in your bank account? Must be one of those high end designers too!

Success to me is knowing that I treat a 50 dollar client the same as I do a 1000 dollar repeat customer. Of course I agree we are underpaid, but should I squack about it trashing a site looking to do good for the small start up companies out there?

Whats immature is posting trashing emails about DO on this site and speaking to the class about DO like the are evil.

Hey if you are a start up company and are in need of graphic materials, go get something spit out at Kinko's or design your logo with clip art programs from Circuit City, us high end designers dont got time for your petty cash.

Originally posted by MICAstudent
    immature cause its honest?

I respect your thoughts, but you are completely off base.

How do you measure success, by the zeros in your bank account? Must be one of those high end designers too!

Success to me is knowing that I treat a 50 dollar client the same as I do a 1000 dollar repeat customer. Of course I agree we are underpaid, but should I squack about it trashing a site looking to do good for the small start up companies out there?

Whats immature is posting trashing emails about DO on this site and speaking to the class about DO like the are evil.

Hey if you are a start up company and are in need of graphic materials, go get something spit out at Kinko's or design your logo with clip art programs from Circuit City, us high end designers dont got time for your petty cash.
    I will reiterate once again that you missed the point. I'm not trashing Design Outpost. I was talking about economic factors, and that is all.

Moreover, I'm glad you treat $50 clients the same as $1000 clients. That is commendable; I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it (quite the contrary).

I won't do $50 projects because I don't have to do $50 projects. If I can be discriminating about what I choose, then you had better believe that I will. It isn't that I wouldn't treat a $50 customer fairly - it's that I wouldn't take the project in the first place. While you can't entirely measure success by how much money is in the bank, you'd be naive to say that it is irrelevent. If it's between the $50 project and the $1000 projects, which do you think I'm going to choose? It's not that I have a huge head or anything, but my work is worth more than $50.

We are not so different. I treat $1000 clients that same as $10,000 clients. The only difference I see is how selective we are, particularly when it's on the basis of price. Will I do free work? Yes, when I feel that there is truly some merit in it. Will I do $50 work? No. If you're going to hire me, and I'm not going to do it free, it's going to cost you.

Once again, the point isn't that Design Outpost is bad. The point is that clients come to designers (myself included) balking at the $95/hr we quote them on a twenty-five hour project. And more than once, the reason they've balked is because they believe they could get the entire project completed for $80 on Design Outpost. Now, is this a good thing for an industry that is already largely underpaid? I think the answer is obvious. The point isn't that Design Outpost is bad (I've seen some decent work there). It's just that it can justly be accused of (unintentionally) continuing a trend that is bad for graphics professionals. Call me a capitalist, if you will. I'm not ashamed of it.

I guess you missed my point too. I just find it wrong to come on here and to trash a site that seems to only be in it for the right reasons. I dont know the ins and outs of design out post, so maybe I am wrong, if so I apologize, but it just seems like they were getting a bad rap from doing something good.

I agree we would all like the big money clients, who wouldnt. Reality is, not a ton of us do, especially designers making it on their own. Seems to me that most designers at design out post work for the love of deisgning and the money is an extra.

Hey maybe I'm wrong, I dont want to speak for them.

I very sorry if I ruffled any feathers, it wasnt my intention.

I apologize.

Fair enough. I see where you're coming from now.

And yes, designing for the love of it is the ideal.

jpayne,
    you have some valid points....but you are not sending emails to people associated with DO and stating lies. She did that, and it can be proved. Additionally, many people won't take jobs for less than a certain fee but that fee is determined by you the business owner, and you have that right. To tell others not to do it, because of their principles, is wrong and that is what she is doing (IMO).

I don't really want to go deep into the discussion, this has been talked over and over again many times. Just want to mention that there are times when even pro designers would want to work for a chance to win the prize (there might be a number of reasons from pure fun to some quick cash) and my point is that why don't you guys let THEM decide whether or not take part in the contests?

::

To answer the original question..."Any other design sites like DesignOutpost? "

No, there aren't...
    Logo Design Vector Conversion Print
    eagleimagery.co.uk
    UK Business Labs Forum - The chemistry in B2B

why don't you guys let THEM decide whether or not take part in the contests
    MY POINT EXACTLY

Originally posted by EagleImagery
    ::

To answer the original question..."Any other design sites like DesignOutpost? "

No, there aren't...
    Ditto. DesignOutpost is the best.