What if Registrar Close down

I balked at using cheap domain registrars as I am worried that if they close down, my domains goes down with them. Been using Opensrs for the last 3 years. Just a question what if a domain registrar close down, what happen to the domains? There are offers I cant resist : ) need to double check on this issue

Your domains are safe. They just don't "go away" or expire. They move to the parent account from what I understand. Never personally experienced this event with a domain name.

Re: What if Registrar Close down

Originally posted by boonchuan
    There are offers I cant resist : )
    Never take on pricing alone. There are actually reliable registrars or resellers that offer good prices. Frankly, I would be worrying about the quality of service and support more than their being out of business.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Originally posted by acts837
    Your domains are safe. They just don't "go away" or expire. They move to the parent account from what I understand. Never personally experienced this event with a domain name.
    dodgy resellers have been know to sell on to interested parties other peoples domains
    going bust is not the only worry
    not all registrars want to have anything to do with domains regsitered "under" them evenin the event of the resllers going bust

your comments *may* be true of enom and opensrs, but don't apply to all tlds, all registries, all regisrars and all places

you cant guarantee "safety" but you can minimise risks
    - dont take offers too good to be true - they often are
    - directly regsister through and ICANN registrar or carefully selected *verifibale* reseller of theirs
    - take a print of the whois showing the registration details
    - make sure you're renewals are doen wll in advnace or think about 10 year reg's etc.
    - check them regularly to make sure you still own them
    etc .

select the right registration agent at the start, which *probably* means look at something other than the price - the T&C's for instance
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

resellers goes to upper level or the registrar

but registrar going out of biz then another registrar mostly acquire them or icann takes over.

but there is insurance paid so its kind hard togo out of biz if you're doing domains only.
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

resellers goes to upper level or the registrar
    *no* this might be your understanding from decent registrars like enom, but certainly is not the case with all of them, and definately is nopt *mandated* by ICANN.

We are helping some clients with exactly this sort of problem from a t!tusup.com registration agent, and two ofthe parent registrar(s) [there are 3 registration companies involved] couldn't care, wont intervene, and has already allowed a number of domains to go into redempotion and/to expire.

in fact of the 3 only Joker even allows the domain to be renewed by someone other than the a/c holder (although getting the domain back is going to be tougher than renewing it)
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Originally posted by othellotech
    dodgy resellers have been know to sell on to interested parties other peoples domains going bust is not the only worry
    not all registrars want to have anything to do with domains regsitered "under" them evenin the event of the resllers going bust

I would recommend that people take a close look at who they conduct business with also.

Rob, How would you classify dodgy?

walks on all fours wears a leads ? oh, thats doggy ...

err, things like...
    * prices below cost
    * no actual contact name and address listed
    * that general "its a scam" feeling you can get
    * way too many complaints on newgroups and forums
    * whois doens't match the company about details
    * uses the same 49$ sh!tty template as the others (j/k )
    * excessive getout clauses/transfer requiremenst
    (dont have a problem charging a fee, or sending a fax but do have a problem with signed/notarised letters in blood on antique papyrus send by carrier pidgeon)
    etc.

OK, your dog matches mine.

In my case I have used whois.cart, drams, RR, and PDQ. To be honest I like PDQ the best because it gives the customer the most control.