Thread: Good Cell Phone

Good Cell Phone

With internet connectivity ability, i want to be able to hook my laptop into it and please suggest a phone avaible through verizion and not over $200, thanks.

my phone can do that....its an A920.......im not sure if its avaibable in the US......it cost $500 AUS...

I'm not really sure what Verizon offers... they don't have 3G equipment (GSM/GPRS) do they? If not, you're only going to be able to use a compatible phone as a modem, just like you would the internal modem you have on your PC to dial out to your ISP.

That means you'd use minutes just as if you were talking on it... not good.

With AT&T and T-Mobile, you can just hook up to your phone via IrDA or USB and connect via GPRS.

If you do get a 3G phone, a Sony Ericsson T610 is good.

If you do get a 3G phone, a Sony Ericsson T610 is good.
    The T610 phone and GPRS isn't 3G. 3G can support data delivery much faster than GPRS apparently although its uptake is slow and I've heard from a J2ME developers that by 2007 only 10% of people will have a 3G phone and using a 3G network.

If GPRS is available to you then the T610 is a good phone, it has Bluetooth/Infra-red and GPRS, and an e-mail client and basic html web browser on the phone.

you can just hook up to your phone via IrDA or USB and connect via GPRS.
    If you have a WiFi laptop or PDA (most iPaq, new Axims etc..) with WiFI, or a Centrino powered Laptop, then you don't need USB or IrDA, as long as your phone is within the Bluetooth scope.
    Last edited by MattF; 03-31-2004 at 05:58 AM.
    MattF - Since the start...

Well, if money and phone service wasnt an issue what would you reccomend?

I would recommend Sprint service. They have there new palm phones with the IR modem and quasi 3g service.

Sprints network is second to none. Unfortunately i switched to nextel a few months back and while the walky talky feature is nice the service range is horrible and my 350.00 phone is a JOKE. I'm regretting every minute of ot right now

Right now im looking at two things: A network card from TMobile or a Sony Ericsson T610 from TMobile, i most likely wont be using it as a phone much but it would be helpful, will i get any more range / power from a network card instead?

Related Posts from theWHIR.com