Bandwidth Consumption. Seems too much.

I built and host an eCommerce site using osCommerce and as of today 3/30/04 it has used up 12,819 meg (12GB) of WB and I'm trying to find out if this number sounds a bit much. Especially since the amount of orders coming through don't add up to the amount of supposed hits.

Does this sound like normal osC usage?
    Is there any way I can find out where all this BW is being used?
    Does the amount of BW equal the amount of hits? (ie 12,000 MB = 12,000 Hits)

My client is only allowed 3Gb of BW a month and I have had to upgrade on two occasions so the site wouldn't get shut down. I was going to charge him a $1 a month for for each additional 1GB of bandwidth but now he wants to upgrade his account to be allowed to use 30GB a month and I am going to charge $500 for the whole hosting package including the BW, but before I tell him I need to know if this is normal. I'm not sure if it was something I did wrong when I built the site.

BTW. Is $500 too much per year on a site using 30GB of BW?

Thanks in advance.
    Pro D'ZYNES Profesional Print and Web Solutions

Greetings:

Hits generally count as one per object on a given page being downloaded including the page itself. Hits can be a very misleading number.

Often times statistic programs like Urchin (just one example) can provide somewhat accurate statistics for bandwidth utilization.

From our experience in hosting (since 1996), ecommerce, database drive, and the like sites do tend to generate a lot more badnwdith.

And orders compared to bandwdith is only an indirect correlation. Visitors can be viewing every page and still not ordering anything.

If the customer is on a dedicated IP, you can probably count traffic off the IP via IPtables or looking at ifconfig stats.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Originally posted by dynamicnet
    If the customer is on a dedicated IP, you can probably count traffic off the IP via IPtables or looking at ifconfig stats.
    First, thanks for your help.

Second, yes he is on a dedicated ip. Can you elaborate on this? I'm not sure what that is or how to do it.

Thanks.

Greeting:

1. If you log into the server, su to root, and run "ifconfig" you should see something like:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr hdmaskgoeshere
    inet addr:A.B.C.D Bcast:A.B.C.D Mask:maskgoeshere
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:155455254 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:154967311 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
    RX bytes:1567963122 (1495.3 Mb) TX bytes:3295780759 (3143.1 Mb)
    Interrupt:30

That's one indicator. Though I would have to check when the receive and transmit indicators get reset (reboot et all).

2. See the following:

http://lists.netfilter.org/pipermail...ly/036017.html

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/archiv...d/20062-1.html

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/archiv...d/17430-1.html

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Re: Bandwidth Consumption. Seems too much.

Originally posted by ProSam
    I built and host an eCommerce site using osCommerce and as of today 3/30/04 it has used up 12,819 meg (12GB) of WB and I'm trying to find out if this number sounds a bit much. Especially since the amount of orders coming through don't add up to the amount of supposed hits.

Does this sound like normal osC usage?
    Is there any way I can find out where all this BW is being used?
    Does the amount of BW equal the amount of hits? (ie 12,000 MB = 12,000 Hits)

My client is only allowed 3Gb of BW a month and I have had to upgrade on two occasions so the site wouldn't get shut down. I was going to charge him a $1 a month for for each additional 1GB of bandwidth but now he wants to upgrade his account to be allowed to use 30GB a month and I am going to charge $500 for the whole hosting package including the BW, but before I tell him I need to know if this is normal. I'm not sure if it was something I did wrong when I built the site.

BTW. Is $500 too much per year on a site using 30GB of BW?

Thanks in advance.
    12 GB bandwidth is not much bandwidth at all... our cheapest package comes with 10GB and our largest with 100GB!

$500 is around $41 per month... urm roughly £23 for us Brits.

I might be happy to pay £23 annually or at least half annually for 30GB

osCommerce is a nice system. However our biggest user also uses that same cart (biggest for both transfer and mySQL action).

The usage however is pretty 'even' - no real spikes. The website drags out over 60 gig a month, even though it's pretty well optimized.... he just gets a ton of traffic.

Regarding payment, our biggest plan offers 20 gig a month. This guy is paying in full for the extra transfer and is happy to do so due to the stability of the network he's hosted on - rest assured it's not one of those $100 a month boxes from *insert name here*.

Basically, big sites need big attention from the host. Most customers will be happy to pay for a job well done (ie. keeping them online and running smoothly).

Contrary to popular (WHT) belief people are still more than happy to spend their dollars on a service they can 'set and forget' and know their host is doing the work for them.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

So it seems like it's fine. Cool.
    And the $500 a year isn't too much from what I see.

Thanks for your responses guys.

Just out of interest how many Actual visits is the site getting? 12GB does seem a lot for an ecommerce store, I just looked of some of our stats and one of our busier clients who gets about 39,000 visitors a month (3.5 Million hits) does 11GB a month.

3.8GB of JPG
    2.8GB of GIF
    2.6GB of SWF
    2.2GB of MOV (V.Tours)

Rest is ASP, HTM and CSS files.

if your visits are in the low numbers it would suggest you might need to optimise somethings.

We optimised the graphics on the site mentioned above this Month - I just checked last months stats and it used 15GB of traffic and we only optimised the images on the homepage as they were very large. - you might be able to save some cash this way.

If this is a CPanel account, the bandwidth innaccurate/overage glitch is a known issue. As far as I know, Cpanel has yet to address or fix it.

Basically, Cpanel will randomly report some accounts as having used far more bandwidth than they really have.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

It is a cpanel account.

I optimized all the images and will see how it affects the site during this month. this was probably the issue some of the image on the site where huge.

Thanks for all your help guys.