Bringing web hosting in-house

I own a small business and currently have my web site and email hosted through my ISP. I would like to bring those in-house and quit paying the monthly fees. I have a static IP address. Can someone please give me a step by step tutorial (or point me in the direction of one) on how to accomplish this? The box I plan on using for this is a Net Integration Mark 1. It is on a dedicated line with 1.5Mb download and 512kb upload. I think this should be enough bandwidth for my purposes, but I can always kick it up if it isn't. Thanks for any help...

CCaputo

It's kind of a bad idea... you can't really provide the same security and redundancy a real hosting provider would offer.
    Jim Reardon - jim/amusive.com

Depending on your level of comfort administrating a server - saving on that monthly fee might just present more headaches and in time more cost - especially if you realize you need to hire an experience system admin to assist you - for example - are you prepared to monitor your server regularly, take care of security patches/precautions/firewalls? These are just a few of the responsibilities that go into web site and email services.

Then again, if you are someone who has fun learning all of this, then best of luck. All the resources mentioned above are worth checking out.
    JC, www.webii.net
    Premium Hosting Services Since 1996
    Custom Development- www.webxess.net

no doubt your ISP over charges you too, it really doesn't cost much to purchase webhosting these days

Andrew
    NetHosted - UK based hosting solutions.

Thanks for all the input and please keep it coming!!

I realize that bringing the hosting duties in-house is a major responsibility and might turn out to be a pain in the ***, but the box I'm using right not is being way under-utilized. It is currently just being used as a fileserver and firewall. It is a complete stand-alone server. Check out the specs of the Mark 1at the net-itech.com website. I'd post a link to it but I'm not allowed yet.

I think that by using this this box to it's full potential I can seriously increase productivity as well as lower my costs. If the maintenance and administration get to be too much for me to handle, I can always farm it back out. Right?

What I really need is the procedure for getting my domain name hooked to my IP address. Setting up the box should be fairly simple then. (At least that's what they tell me...)

You need to set up DNS on your server and assign your IP to your nameservers.

Andrew
    NetHosted - UK based hosting solutions.

Or instead of setting up DNS on your server you could use http://www.zoneedit.com

I can set up DNS on my box. Will there be any charges involved with this? Who do I contact to do this? I'm not happy with my current registrar (Netrocket), can I change from them without getting charged an arm and a leg? Do I even need to have a registrar now? Can't I just renew my domain registration with Network Solutions when it comes due? As you can see I'm a total newbie when it comes to this... Thanks for bearing with me.

I will give you some free advice.

Look into leaving, or staying away from, Network Solutions.

They charge quite a bit of money (I think that they're one of the most expensive ones in the industry); and with all the other options out there these days, you don't have to spend your life online to find and be comfortable with another domain registrar.

I've never worked with Netrocket before, so I don't know if they have any cancellation / transfer charges...but they really shouldn't.

EDIT: Yes, you will still need to use the services of a domain registrar, even if you host your site on a box in your own office and set up your own DNS.
    Lesli Schauf, TLM Network
    Linux and Windows Hosting: Scribehost

Yes, you still need a registrar. Network SOlutions is one registrar, but they are horrid.

I suggest switching to a enom reseller. That way you will get free DNS service as well (they even offer dynamic DNS if you need that). Namecheap is one such reseller.

You only pay the transfer fee, which extends your registration 1 year, and typically is around $8

I would strongly suggest that you make sure the connection you plan to use for this venture allows such usage. Most ISP's do not allow it...

Greetings:

1. Watcher_TVI brings out an excellent point. Check with your provider that they will allow you to be your own host.

2. While being your own host may save you monthly $, it might be the same thing as your spending 8 hours per day traveling to the post office in another state to save $0.13 on stamps.

You are now your own security manager, your own server administrator, your own mail manager, etc.

You may have all of those skills; and if so, having your own Web host will increase those skills or at least keep them in shape.

However, if you are not skilled in securing servers, keeping your system up to date, the daily routine of security and server management, then you might end up spending far more money in terms of the value of your time than you are spending now.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

True. Although I think everyone can agree if you want to host a tiny site just to get the feel of linux and such, it's a good idea for a testbed. Beyond that, probably not.

Re: Bringing web hosting in-house

Originally posted by CCaputo
    I own a small business and currently have my web site and email hosted through my ISP. I would like to bring those in-house and quit paying the monthly fees. I have a static IP address. Can someone please give me a step by step tutorial (or point me in the direction of one) on how to accomplish this? The box I plan on using for this is a Net Integration Mark 1. It is on a dedicated line with 1.5Mb download and 512kb upload. I think this should be enough bandwidth for my purposes, but I can always kick it up if it isn't. Thanks for any help...

CCaputo

Just curious CCaputo, but how much is your ISP charging you monthly for hosting your site?
    I understand that you want to utilize an in house computer but you are taking a risk with the secruity of your site. It's fun to set up a server and figure out security tecniques but It's not really a good idea in the long run to do it with a site you need to have online.

From the sounds of your requirements, I would think you could get away with spending $8-$10/month for hosting, which really shouldn't break the budget.

Turns out that Netrocket has vanished off the face of the earth. But before they did they changed all the contact info on my domain so that all communications bounce. The registrar is now Melbourneit.com in Australia. I have yet to hear back from them.