bandwidth question

Hello

I'm going to be putting up my own web site soon. I'm narrowing down the companies to host my site, but I'm new to this and I don't really know what to look for. How much bandwidth would I require for a music site with downloadable mp3s and a small message board? Anyone who has put their tracks up for download, do you ever run out at the end of the month?
    Is 35gb a month enough?

I'm currently looking at hasweb.com and hostmatrix.com

thank you

(I apologize if this is a double post, but I sent this a few minutes ago and it never showed up on the board, so I'm posting it again.)

It really depends on the popularity of the site. We host some production studio sites and typically they transfer less than 2GB/month and they do have serveral MP3s on their site.

It would probably be best to start with around 10GB of bandwidth and upgrade as the need comes along, that way you dont pay for what you dont use.

zxcv,

make sure you have proper licensing for those music mp3s or else you will have difficulty finding a host.

As for bandwidth requirement, you will need to have at least two variables to have a rough idea of traffic.

So for example if the average download for a visitor is 1 MB to your site than your bandwidth requirement will be roughly 1 MB x No of expected visitors.

With these two variables you would just be speculating.

Regards,
    Mediopia Technologies, Inc - Call Toll Free (24 x 7): 1-877-807-HOST
    Windows and Linux Reseller and Shared Web Hosting Plans
    SiteStudio, ASP, ASP.net, PHP, CGI, Coldfusion MX 6.1, Frontpage, MS SQL Server, MySQL, PgSQL ...
    http://www.mediopia.biz/

I've been hosting my own music production for about a year now. I found it useful to host the MP3s on a separate server to the rest of my site.

My main site had some very small preview samples, a small forum and some tutorials - I was fine with 5GB a month.

I hosted the MP3s on a separate server, that got up to nearly 1GB in a day if i announced a new remix/track I had produced. but trickled along on a few hundred MB a day at other times... so I used about 5GB-15GB a month on this host.

Obviously it depends on your traffic, my figures are based on about 150 unique visitors a day.
    dazmultimedia.com
    that's me, several medias then a dot and a com

Yeah about 10gb would be good to get

trying someone who will allow a quick upgrade after a week might help, it prolly looks like a growing proccess to me

here are some other questions to consider:
    are these of your band?
    then if so are you gonna tell your friends to check out your website...
    cause then people might start downloading more gradually month by month

good luck
    gilbert
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

The site will be music I've written and music of others I have worked with. I'll proabably announce a new track every once in a while on music forums.
    I like the idea of having a forum on my site. Are forums bandwidth hungry?

The two plans I'm looking at have 35 gb and 50 gb a month bandwidth, both with over a gig of server space for $100 a year.

These seem like great deals...too good to be true? I've looked at a lot of plans and both of these seem to offer a lot of value for the money.

35 gb and 50 gb a month bandwidth for 100$ a year might sound like a great deal, but I doubt that there are many quality hosts at those prices. You're taking a very big risk if you go with them IMHO.

Most people here say $1/Gb of transfer is a good rule of thumb, which is rather true, although there are a few exceptions.

I've looked at a lot of plans and both of these seem to offer a lot of value for the money.
    If they just promise and don't deliver there's no value for the money. I'd check on their reputation first and pay monthly in the begining at least.

Forums dont have to be bandwidth hungry, that will depend on your traffic.

If your site has a sense of community about it, and you get regular contributors to your forums then it can get you high bandwidth consumption (if you get to the stage where people site all day refreshing the pages!)

If you are going to host forums, make sure the host you go with offers a backup service, backing up a MySQL DB can be a pain to keep doing manually.
    dazmultimedia.com
    that's me, several medias then a dot and a com

Originally posted by zxcv
    The site will be music I've written and music of others I have worked with. I'll proabably announce a new track every once in a while on music forums.
    I like the idea of having a forum on my site. Are forums bandwidth hungry?

The two plans I'm looking at have 35 gb and 50 gb a month bandwidth, both with over a gig of server space for $100 a year.

These seem like great deals...too good to be true? I've looked at a lot of plans and both of these seem to offer a lot of value for the money.
    Howdy zxcv,

If you like to save your money I would recommend doing the following:
    1) Sign up with a host that has had good reviews on WHT and gives you around 10GB(as mentioned above).
    2) As your site becomes more popular inquire with your host about the possibility of upgrading to a higher bandwidth plan (shouldn't be a problem at all)
    3) *Important* Have a backup provider just in case you are generating a ton more traffic in a given month than you ever expected. You can simply put the mp3s on the backup provider and keep up low bandwidth pages on your main host. This will save you from having to pay high bandwidth overuse prices. Then be sure to upgrade your hosting plan the next month.

Note: I wouldn't recommend signing up for a hosting provider for a year. Month to month is the only way to go with hosting.
    A Collection of Web Hosts
    Small biographies on hosts, uptime reports and some reviews
    Feel free to add your review or add a host that isn't on the list.

Most hosts will upgrade with no trouble or maybe even negotiate a better deal on bandwidth. I would look for about 10GB to start then work with that.
    CybexHost.com - Shared and Reseller Hosting Solutions on cPanel/WHM Linux Servers
    ModernTweak.com - Discount ModernBill Licenses, Hosted Installations, and Professional Services
    :: Pay for your discount ModernBill license with PayPal
    :: admin[at]cybexhost.com :: AIM: CybexH