New laptop dilema

OK I'm looking to get myself a lovely new, shiny, laptop but don't know which of two to get.

1) A nice new 12" iBook (running Virtual PC for Windows XP stuff and AirPort Wi-Fi) or;

2) A Compaq 14" PC with Win XP Home with Wi-Fi

I like my mac but also have lots of PC software too. The 12" is lovely, small and light but it's just not a PC.

I'm not sure... help

What's the current condition of your desktop? If you can suffer with the desktop 6-9 more months, get teh iBook and in 9 months, get a new dell for ~600.

You'll never regret getting an iBook wih *shivers* OS X.

i would go for the compaq

Desktop's about 2 years old but still loads of disk space, processor and memory is fine too.

I love OS X but I'm not sure if I'm ready to take the plunge to using it as a main OS on the laptop (I use it as a secondary desktop quite often).

Flip a coin.

Think about it; I am sure your personal opinion would let you choose. I would personally go for the Compaq.

I would go for the compaq also, even tho mac is good they make overpriced hardware.

Re: New laptop dilema

Originally posted by Rich2k
    OK I'm looking to get myself a lovely new, shiny, laptop but don't know which of two to get.

1) A nice new 12" iBook (running Virtual PC for Windows XP stuff and AirPort Wi-Fi) or;

2) A Compaq 14" PC with Win XP Home with Wi-Fi

I like my mac but also have lots of PC software too. The 12" is lovely, small and light but it's just not a PC.

I'm not sure... help
    iBook/PowerBook DEFINITELY.

Definitely get the iBook. There is no comparison. Compaq laptops are generally very low quality (they break easily and have a high failure rate, as well as poor customer service)

I switched to this powerbook (although I used OS X as a secondary OS for over a year beforehand) and it was definitely the right thing (apart from one online game I miss so much)

What software do you currently own that is windows only? There's a lot of free mac software out there.

And Tee, apple hardware isn't overpriced. They have one of the lowest profit margins in the industry. Dell makes 2x the profit on each machine sold. Apple machines generally cost 75% of the retail cost to manufacture. Then apple pump around 15-8% into R&D (whereas for Dell this is 0.5%) and 5-8% into customer service/support.
    Gone.

Go Mac! I owned a iBook g3, an HP Laptop, and a Sony Laptop, There was absolutly noway I would ever buy any thing other than an iBook now, I'm on my way to getting a loaded 12" G4 iBook.

Don't mean to invade your thread Rich - but could someone who knows a lot about the subject perhaps outline the major factors between the iBook and the Powerbook?
    * Best Web Hosting - Submit your host to our directory and become one of our top 10 web hosts.

Get a Apple. If you get the apple do yourselfe a favour and get the apple care protection plan too.

Beginning of this year some lady cut me off in the car and after slamming on the breaks my laptop bag came flying down the passanger side of my car and dislocated the screen a bit (laptop bag did not help). I sent it back to apple and they repaired it no question asked. It took them 3 days to repair. (Overnight shipping = 2 days, repair = 1 day). That's what I call kickass service.

iBook has half the cache on the CPU than the powerbook.

Powerbook can do extended desktop (instead of just mirroring)... in fact it is possible to use an openfirmware hack on the GPU to enable extended desktop on some iBooks, but it voids the warranty.

Powerbook supports lid-closed mode (can run with lid closed... duh!)

The powerbook display is brighter (the iBook's display is about the same as the powerbook on about 10 brightness bars)

The powerbook 'feels' more professional and sturdy (although the iBook is very solidly built too)

The powerbook is more expensive =D
    Gone.

I was told if I wasn't going to be doing any video editing, then the iBook would work great.

That seem about right?
    * Best Web Hosting - Submit your host to our directory and become one of our top 10 web hosts.

Honestly if i had no choice to go with another company i would choose the iBook because i generally do not like Compaq in general. their desktops and systems in general are not so great.

now IBM's or Dell Laptop's are what i would go with if i had the choice.

Thanks
    - James

Toshiba have a laptop at a similar price, but I didn't like the look of it oh and some unknown company was dirt cheap but I don't like buying that sort of kit.

I do like OSX. I have photoshop and dreamweaver on a PC (although I do have photoshop CS for a mac too but not dreamweaver, plus sound editing software, WS FTP pro, etc) the last two I shouldn't have any problems running through virtual PC though, dreamweaver might struggle though as it uses quite a bit of ram.

I would definately go iBook rather than powerbook for one reason alone, the huge price difference! I'm not paying that price for a 12" powerbook!

I'm not looking for a top of the range laptop as it won't be my primary computer so I can't really justify paying lots more money for one.

Both!!!
    Jim Reardon - jim/amusive.com