Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Web Hosting Talk - Advertiseing?

Hi,

I am considering advertising on web hosting talk which is around $250 for 10,000 which is a huge amount for a small business like mine.

I am going to have a professional banner produced and all in all it will cost me around $300.

I was interested in the CTR I would get and more then that I was wondering on feedback by other hosting companies who have advertised.

To make this profitable I would need around 30-40 signups and would anyone have any suggestions at all?

Thanks,
    Lewis

You aren't going to get a 30% conversion rate off of a banner. There are many other more affordable ways to advertise than banners, do some searches.

hmm, would you be able to suggest anything?

And even if I don't hit my 30-40 signups do you have an rough figures I could work with?

Thanks

We're currently finishing up our campaign with WHT... our click through rate is about 0.53% for top banner and 0.18% for bottom. Sales conversation rate.... eh you do the math.

We're probably doing something wrong... who knows.

Good luck to ya.
    www.milescape.com
    Boundless Web Hosting Solutions

I don't think anyone should purchase WHT advertising with the goal of making their money back in conversions or seeing an immediate return. WHT banners are more for building Brand awareness.

Also, you're going to have to spend a heck of a lot more than $250 because 10 000 impressions will go mighty fast.

WHT advertising is just to get your name out, not really for hosting matters or to get you r money back.

Ok, maby we should take a step back.

We run a relativly small hosting company which has been around for almost a year now. We have built up a group of customers who all have been happy with our sevice and are intending to move up to getting our own dedicated server.

What do you think would be the best for of advertiseing to gain clients and where would i go about doing this?

As Reality Hosting wisely suggested, advertising here should be strictly for branding purposes. You will definitely not recoup your costs in the form of new signups. And yes, 10M impressions get used up in the blink of an eye.

Word of mouth is a very powerful way of promoting your business. One approach might be to give your current customers an incentive for referring new signups. Your calculations in your original post suggest you're willing to pay around $10 per new signup. Based on the prices I see on your site, you could easily give a customer a few months of free hosting for every referral.

That's just one way to get new business. There are Adwords, banners, etc. The nice thing about the referral program is that you only pay when you get a new signup.

Good luck.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Yeah, I like that idea... The difficulty is the man power to organise it. Adwords have been useful but very unprofitable. costing far more then advertising on WHT but for no new signups at all.

Thanks for giving me another option, I will talk to my colleagues about this.

Is there any other ideas which anyone has found successful?

I doubt you get an ideal return on investment, I would look into starting some type of Google AdWords campaign. like others have said advertising on WHT is for mainly branding purposes.

Keep us updated on your choice of advertising methods and what kind of results you got. if I can be of any help to you feel free to contact me.

Good Luck,
    Derrick
    ResellerEdge.com - High Quality Reseller/ Multiple Domain Hosting.

I was planning to advertise on WHT for $250. Thanks to all of you who have given advice on the same. It has really helped me not to waste money.

Tina.

Many people ignore the banners here, too. That is why CTRs can be kind of low.
    Jim Reardon - jim/amusive.com

I ignore banners but tend to remember the names on them so its good to get known but not for signups

Yeah, ok well I am working on other advertising solutions at the moment. But thanks for your help guys, it really has saved me a few bob!

Most grateful,
    Lewis

I would like to offer a little insight from the other side of the advertising bench. WHT has ~100 advertisers currently, ~80 of which are continuous, repeat customers. I would find it hard to believe that they would all be advertising on WHT for just branding purposes. Some of the people that have offered advice and insight in this thread haven't ever advertised on WHT (at least since we took over last year).

Re: Web Hosting Talk - Advertiseing?

Originally posted by Invixus

To make this profitable I would need around 30-40 signups and would anyone have any suggestions at all?

Thanks,
    Lewis
    If my cost to acquire a customer was only $6.25, I spend $100K a month on advertising for the next 5 years, and then retire a very rich man. In reality, expect to spend between $50 and $150 to acquire a customer, depending on how well optimized your campaign is.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

I would like to offer a little insight from the other side of the advertising bench. WHT has ~100 advertisers currently, ~80 of which are continuous, repeat customers. I would find it hard to believe that they would all be advertising on WHT for just branding purposes. Some of the people that have offered advice and insight in this thread haven't ever advertised on WHT (at least since we took over last year).
    What is the average CTR for the 80 continuous advertisers?
    What is the averall average CTR between all campaigns?
    John Diver
    CanaryHotspot.com - Canary Island forum and information
    InternationalChatForum.com - International Travel Chat Forum and information

yeah, I would be interested to know this. because I haven't yet ruled out advertising with WHT but until it fits into my budget I have.

John. I don't have an efficient way of pulling up the stats to your first questions but I can for the totals for WHT. In the last 30 days

Report Summary Covering 3/1/2004 -- 3/30/2004

Clicks Impressions Click Rate

20303 9987604 0.20%

Hope that helps!

To clarify, that includes all our own network banners as well; including the archive banners.

So for $250 I could get 10 click through... I might get 1 customer...
    I do see the previous peoples point of view that the customers wont count so much when you advertise on WHT as it costs too much but the impressions would give your business a name.

To me, it's all about finding where your demographic surfs. If he/she visits WHT, then this place may be a goldmine for you.

- Rick

Originally posted by Invixus
    Yeah, I like that idea... The difficulty is the man power to organise it. Adwords have been useful but very unprofitable. costing far more then advertising on WHT but for no new signups at all.

Thanks for giving me another option, I will talk to my colleagues about this.

Is there any other ideas which anyone has found successful?

It's not just if they surf there or not, it's if they surf and react to the ad.

Our own network banners, unfortunately, drag the overall CTR down for all advertisers. I would be surprised, on an evenly-distributed campaign in top banners, if you saw CTR's less than 0.6%ish with decent creative.

How I see it is this how many actual hosts are here at WHT? Maybe say 25% of the members(not sure the real #s of course), now who are the most active members(just by looking at the who is online it is most of the hosts). This tells me who is going to see my banner if I advertsie, people that are in the same business as I am.

If I was selling a product related to web hosting I would be fine with advertising here, but sorry I do not see the reasoning in spending any money here as a host other than for slight branding purposes.

My intent is not to bash iNET or steer people from spending their money here(as you can see I bought the premium membership). In my honest opinion money could be spent with better results else where.

I am open to debate this though

Derrick
    ResellerEdge.com - High Quality Reseller/ Multiple Domain Hosting.

Ouch, $25 CPM on banners, that's pricing from like 1997... I can get anyone here advertising on a good sized network of sites for $0.25 CPM, for banners or skys. CTR might be a little lower, but the price is a LOT lower.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

You can't get even slightly targeted traffic for $.25 though, so it's a huge, huge difference.

Originally posted by JKLIVIN
    Some of the people that have offered advice and insight in this thread haven't ever advertised on WHT (at least since we took over last year).
    Not sure if you included me in that reference, but I have advertised here in the past. Admittedly before iNet's acquisition, but not much before that.

Nobody is trying to make any derrogatory statements about the value of advertising here. We're just offering our honest opinions. Personally, I eventually decided that I was not prepared to advertise over a long term for branding purposes. Clearly, with an average of <1% CTR, I don't think anyone is advertising hoping to immediately recover their investment. I realize the <1% is a generalization, but I'd be willing to bet you dollars to donuts that there would be but a scant few who would measurably exceed it.

It's simple math, really. Apply your expected conversion rate to the resulting CTR to determine your anticipated signups. If that meets your expectations, go for it. If not, look for alternate ways to advertise.

Clearly this community is made up more of hosts than people looking for hosting. Qualifier: If you're selling reseller accounts, you've got a shot. If you're selling $4.95 per month end user accounts, you're wasting your money.

But that's just MHO.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Also, IMHO, low CTR to me means less people even noticing the ad... meaning less impact on your branding attempts as well.

Originally posted by amusive.com
    You can't get even slightly targeted traffic for $.25 though, so it's a huge, huge difference.
    For the $0.25 CPM I can reach a lot more people in need of web hosts than I would here, considering basically everyone here IS a web host.

Yes, it's true the CTR and branding affect will likely be half as good, but the price is 100 times less...
    Last edited by KarlZimmer; 03-30-2004 at 11:25 PM.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

WHT is targeted though. Very targeted. It just might not be targeted exactly how people would think; perhaps it's great for targeting webhosts themselves?

Although on the other hand, you could probably get non-message board impressions, which are significantly, significantly better.

Originally posted by JKLIVIN
    I think the advice was more related to a small host spending $250 on only 10K impressions and expecting to get direct results from such a short campaign. The comment that he would be certainly dissapointed seems like sound advice (especially given that his conversion from AdWords has been poor), not a reflection on the value of WHT advertising for more serious campaigns.
    Andrew McMaster
    http://www.FindMyHosting.com
    Compare Prices, Consumer Reviews, Help, Guides and More.

I have absolutely nothing to back this up, but wouldn't a sticky on the shared hosting forum be a more effective advertising spot for a hsot on WHT? The people that go to that forum are looking for a good host, generally speaking, and you're right at the top.

Originally posted by Derrick
    How I see it is this how many actual hosts are here at WHT? Maybe say 25% of the members(not sure the real #s of course), now who are the most active members(just by looking at the who is online it is most of the hosts). This tells me who is going to see my banner if I advertsie, people that are in the same business as I am.

If I was selling a product related to web hosting I would be fine with advertising here, but sorry I do not see the reasoning in spending any money here as a host other than for slight branding purposes.

My intent is not to bash iNET or steer people from spending their money here(as you can see I bought the premium membership). In my honest opinion money could be spent with better results else where.

I am open to debate this though

Derrick
    Well there were 9987604 in march alone. The active members which are at most 800 couldn't have been all of them unless they are very active members, lots of people visit WHT for other reasons and could well be looking for a host. I wouldn't half be surprised if WHT comes up in half the hosting related searches you do on a search engine.

Re: Sticky

Originally posted by jsquared
    I have absolutely nothing to back this up, but wouldn't a sticky on the shared hosting forum be a more effective advertising spot for a hsot on WHT? The people that go to that forum are looking for a good host, generally speaking, and you're right at the top.
    Yeah, two more things about a sticky is that its cheaper and you pay for the time its up there rather then how many views it has. They can be very effective I am sure possibly with a higher conversion rate.

At the beginning I was however referring to the banner at the top which gets most views, because for me (before getting corrected several times in this topic) I believed that to be most profitable in the long term.

Originally posted by kris1351
    You aren't going to get a 30% conversion rate off of a banner. There are many other more affordable ways to advertise than banners, do some searches.
    30 signups is 0.3% which is *possible* depneding on the targetting

*however* I woudl suggest that WHT is not the place to advertise for hosting clients - most of the people here are hosts, so they're either selling, or looking to buy "bigger" things than just hosting (reseller accounts, dedicated servers, colo etc)
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

I have done a lot of research and have decided that if you are willing to spend $2500+ per month on WebHostingTalk, you'll likely be very well known within 6-9 months. If the price is right and the service and support is there, this could help to make you a very successful company in the long run.

This is just my opinion of course.

Originally posted by othellotech
    30 signups is 0.3% which is *possible* depneding on the targetting

*however* I woudl suggest that WHT is not the place to advertise for hosting clients - most of the people here are hosts, so they're either selling, or looking to buy "bigger" things than just hosting (reseller accounts, dedicated servers, colo etc)
    Nonono. Conversion rate is based on visitors, not impressions (typically and standardly, at least).

He's probably going to get a CTR of .3%. In that case, he'd need a conversion ratio of 100%.

He's probably going to get a CTR of .3%. In that case, he'd need a conversion ratio of 100%. [/B]
    I misread something, could've sworn he was getting 10,000 clicks ...
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Impressions, not clicks.

I don't think he specifies, but I'm pretty sure it's sold by impressions, not clicks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast