owners require some papers that they own the domain?!

since 7 years in business this is the first time one of my customers asked me for official letter from the "internet domain owner provider" maybe icann or something that he is the official owner of the domain so incase the domain is stolen or the company hosting his domain is out of business he can prove it and take his domain back no matter what.

whats the best thing todo in such situation?!
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Well, he honestly doesn't "own" it, just leases. I'd just print out the whois, making sure it shows him as registrant (at least).

leases from who? the registry ? verisign-grs?
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

I doubt you'll find anyone anywhere that'll provide you with an official document declaring "ownership", or even lease.

Good luck with that one....
    It's time to kick back, pop in a From Autumn to Ashes CD, and relax.....

He can keep invoices/emails etc but since NetSol stopped sending paper invoices a few years back, no sane registrar does that.

Actually these guys (http://www.netregistry.com.au) give you an ownership document in PDF bearing the auDA logo too.

Nice touch I think.

I hope to find such a registrar some day, owndership documents would be a great extra safety against domain hijacking. If someone knows a service where you get ownership docs with your domain, please tell me.
    I also think ICANN should send these documents to everyone requesting it.

Alternetdomains.com is the only registrar I know that uses paperworks, and I think it's great they do. Much safer than it is with the other registrars !

im sure nominet have sent me certificates before too

A printout of whois
    Jim Reardon - jim/amusive.com

I theory I guess you would need the history of the domain name
    back to when it was first created, with all payment documents
    from every buyer/seller in that period. (some domains change
    hands so much that this would be impossible but with some
    domains, that had only one or two owners, this should be doable)
    blockchain.co.hu is for sale

Bashar - did your customer tell you what he needs the documentation for?

Registrants need to provide proof of domain name "ownership" (deliberately put in quotes since one doesn't own domains!) for secure sever certificates for their web sites.

Some certificate providers are happy to just check the Whois. If they are not, or if there is no "open" Whois for the TLD concerned, then they will ask for written confirmation from the Registry that "Domain X is registered to personal/company Y whose postal address is Z"

Nominet stopped sending certificates last year.
    Having the certificate was never proof of ownership.
    You prove ownership by providing documentation proving you are the person or organisation listed in the registrant field.
    Formerly: Managing Director, Hostroute.com Ltd & Marketing Director, Ultraspeed UK Ltd
    View my Professional Profile: www.gordonhudson.com

Actually having just pulled one from the files , the certificate from Nominet *is* proof of ownership for 2 years, akin to share certificate, and carries the right of transfer/termination .

But they dont do them anymore, neither do almost any other registry.

A print of the whois showing registrant, get it laminated and signed, dated and lodged with a legal representative if they're seriously woriied is about the best you could do.

I'd just tell them to do a whois and file the results.
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Ask Nominet.
    They will deny that it proves anything.
    You could drop it int he street and someone could pick it up.
    They would not own your domain name.
    Formerly: Managing Director, Hostroute.com Ltd & Marketing Director, Ultraspeed UK Ltd

it explicity states on the t&c's attached that it forms part of the contract between the registrant and nominet.

with the "right" to transfer by competeing the form on the rear, it's about as close to "deeds" on a domain I've ever seen.

if i find the deeds to your house (forgetting yr in scotland which may have diff rules to here) then i can sell your house, and to all legal intents i own your house (subject to any charge over the property from mtg compnaies etc) - the holding of the paper overrides the land-registry information

afaiui and this was confirmed by our QC many years ago, the nominet certificate *despite* what they may say works the same way - they hol dthe DB, but whomever holds the paper ...

your share certificates *prove* you ownthe shares etc.

s'all moot now anyway - they havent issued them for a long while and so those few that are still valid wont be for much longer ...
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Sorry, it never worked that way.
    They formed part of the contract but they were not proof of ownership.