FrontPage problem - please help

I have a new customer using FrontPage to publish his site. He is using FP 97. Apparently, when he clicks

FILE > OPEN FRONTPAGE WEB > and enters www.hisdomain.com, it's supposed to give him a list of the webs in that domain (main web and a child web). Then when he selects one of the webs, he would be prompted for an ID and password. Instead, after entering his domain, it gives the following error:

SERVER ERROR: CLIENT CLOSED CONNECTION

He has another domain hosted at another host and he does not get the error. But with me, he does.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to solve the problem?

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Greetings Vito:

Several things to check (do #2 then #1 then #3 -- sorry for the ordering):

1. FrontPage publishes via HTTP which is extremely suseptible to line noise.

Ask the client for a trace (presuming the other issues fail); any "*" or numbers higher to 300 will lead to problems.

2. Open the Web site live in FrontPage, and recalculate hyperlinks (must use FrontPage client).

You can also do this with the FrontPage server administrator on the server end; I don't have the commands memorized. Check the resource kit for the commands to use on the server.

Recalculating hyperlinks generally fixes many errors in FrontPage.

3. If all else fails, try removing the extensions, manually ensuring the deletion of _vti_* directories within the client's home directory, and then re-installing the extensions.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Thank you, dynamicnet. Before I try those, let me tell you what was just suggested to me.

"With a recent CPanel update, Frontpage '97 was no longer supported. The version of Frontpage released by Microsoft had no backwards compatable support for '97, trying to get people to upgrade to 2k/XP"

Is that a possibility?

Vito
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Greetings:

We don't use Cpanel, so I can only share from my experience.

We have clients using FrontPage 97 through FrontPage 2003 using the latest FrontPage 2002 extensions.

I did find http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;232526

I could not find a similar document stating that 2002 was backward compatible; but it should be so.

We had two users today call in with the problem you describe; but I was able to open their Web's, recalculate, etc.

Hmmm... we did install the latest FrontPage 2002 extension patch on Thursday... I wonder if that patch is what Cpanel refers to concerning getting to a point of not being backward compatible.

I should hear from the one customer within 24 hours as to whether the recalc I did for them fixed the problem; if not, I can ask if they are using FrontPage 97 (we have a few that still use that version).

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Thank you. Please let me know what your customer says.

Vito

Greetings Vito:

The one user is using Microsoft FrontPage 98; I'm checking on the other one this morning... but I'm inclined to believe they are using 97 or 98.

So it could be that whomever told you about cpanel is right in general in terms of the latest extensions update.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Geetings Vito:

The other customer is also running FrontPage 98.

Thank you.

Well, looks like I'm going to have to give my customer 2 options. Either he updates his FP version or I refund his order.

Thanks for your help, dynamicnet.

Vito

Hi Vito:

I just found http://www.rtr.com/fp2002disc/_disc2/000009ca.htm

It looks like the info you got about the latest patch not supporting clients earlier than 2000 to be correct.

Thank you.

P.S. If it helps, we are telling our clients that after six years (Microsoft FrontPage 98 is at least 6 years old), what do you expect?
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

I agree. But another site he has hosted at Pair works fine with his FP version, so I guess he won't really appreciate my point.

Vito

Greetings Vito:

Except how long will Pair continue running the older version of Microsoft FrontPage extensions?

Eventually Pair will upgrade.

Over the past several years, if we did upgrades which we knew were either recommended or relatively common place in the industry, and such upgrades caused problems to older client software...

.... we had some clients who complained stating we should have kept things status quo.

In those cases, we said they could look elsewhere, but with the industry doing it at large, eventually whomever they find will also upgrade.

Thank you.

Heh, looks like you helped me convert him. He has now upgraded his version of FP and was able to successfully publish his site to the server.

Vito