Pool.com: Is this normal?

There's a domain that expired a couple of months ago that I wanted to pick up. It's nothing spectacular but still a pretty good domain name so I decided to try Pool.com. I'd never used them before but I've read about them and understand how they work.

I signed up for an account and put my request in for the domain name with no problems. That was a couple of days ago. Today I get an e-mail saying that "the auction has started." That's fine I think, I like the domain and I'm willing to pay a couple hundred bucks for it if need be. I go to the Pool.com website and the domain has been bid up over $20,000!!! Is that for real? Like I said the domain is pretty good but nothing sensational. It doesn't make sense to me that someone would pay $20,000 for that domain.

b___hosting.com by any chance?

There is a possibility to play their own offers for trying to force up prices.
    But nobody couldn't know it except themselves.

Originally posted by Manu
    b___hosting.com by any chance?
    so you bid $20,000 for b___hosting.com
    just joking!!

Re: Pool.com: Is this normal?

Originally posted by IH
    ......and the domain has been bid up over $20,000!!! Is that for real?
    I won't be surprise if it does!!
    anyway the bid order details will be disclosed once the auction is over!!

good luck!!

I didn't think domains could have the _ character in them.
    Jim Reardon - jim/amusive.com

There is a possibility to play their own offers for trying to force up prices.
    That's why I don't feel comfortable with online auctions and keep away from them.
    There's so little chance to check if they're 100% genuine, although I'm not saying that they aren't, it's just that even that little doubt makes me feel like I should do without the lot up for sale.

Just my opinion...

Aren't you forced to buy it if you win?

I have used Pool.com and NameWinner.com and it's hard to tell if a domain name is bid up or not. I have paid from 10.00 all the way up to $1,500 for a domain. It all about who is hunting the domain name at the same time, also Pool.com puts the better ones on there index page for everyone to see. So that will get the bidding up.

I just paid $1,284 for MrMuscle.com, but I think this is a great domain name. I paid only 375.00 for WhatsOnline.com and I think that I stold that one, as I think it's worth lots of money. So I think it all about how many people are looking at that auction at the same time, and the domain name maybe not the best one but there is to many looking at it so the bidding go's up.

MOD EDIT: Please use Edit Profile link to place your signature
    Last edited by Bashar; 03-30-2004 at 02:28 PM.

Anywhere you can go see top domains and what they got auctioned off for? It's pretty interesting