Need assistance in finding a Linux/PHP hosting company

With my recent troubles with my current provider, I'm looking for a new shared or dedicated hosting provider that abides by the criteria in the list below. Right now, cost doesn't matter--I would prefer to evaluate all the choices, then compare by price on a final review.

Criteria:
    • Provide for multiple domains in one account, expandable to more domains. (would include account-wide features like SpamAssassin and email filtering--that is, the settings for these apply to all domains) I'm not seeking a reseller account per se, but having that option at a future point would be nice.
    • Linux/Unix based.
    • CPanel -- it's a nice simple interface, what can I say?
    • FTP (duh), including anonymous FTP.
    • Not just web form support, but also an email address and phone number.
    • PHP 4.3.x (plus GD, FreeType, ImageMagick, Zlib, something that generates PDF)
    • MySQL 4.x (3.23 is acceptable, as long as there's a promise to upgrade soon)
    • Ability to run CRON jobs, including PHP-based ones.
    • Mail server available for scripts (I believe this is the norm).
    • Scripts are able to access external resources (also the norm)--e.g., pull RSS feeds from elsewhere.
    • Have a streaming media solution of some sort.
    • Virtually unlimited subdomains, databases and email accounts.
    • Generous storage capacity and allowable bandwidth, with easy ability to purchase more if needed.
    • A real commitment to uptime/stability, with infrequent, reasonable updates being made in off-hours.
    • Located in the USA.
    • A demonstrable good reputation, detailed by independent sources.

As extra credit, I'd like to see support for PostgreSQL.

Note: Questions re: my criteria are welcome, but I have to say they are rather solid and I can't imagine changing any (that much anyway).

Also, if there's any web resource that makes it easier for me to do this work myself, I'd be very interested in that. All my searches for providers before have been very ad-hoc... it would nice to mechanize the search a bit.

Thanks!
    Steve

Hi Steve,

I should probably start by say that many hosts would be able to fit a good many of your needs, depending on the full details of them.

However, I should mention that streaming media beyond Flash, does not lend itself very well to Unix/Linux based servers (although possible of course), and is more efficient on a Windows platform.
    Mark - Owner/Lead Designer
    avidInteractive
    Lead vocalist for Circle7: Circle7 on MTV

You might actually want to consider getting your own dedicated server and just having someone admin it for you. I would recommend EV1Servers as a candidate and possibly www.wemanageservers.com (might be .net), to manage your server. This would give you the flexibility that you need, and would allow you to structure your budget accordingly. Alternatively, there are folks that will provide you a comprehensive solution for you to where you just pay the bill and run the server as you need to (with allowances for compliance to company rules). They do tend to cost a little bit more, though.
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

I think that anonymous FTP would be kind of hard to find these days. Much like shell access, I have seen the number of providers that offer it dwindle.

I have not seen many hosts that offer PostgreSQL standard, but I bet that they would be more willing to offer that than anonymous FTP.

Hopefully you can find a host that offers what you are looking for! You might also want to check out the Host Quote feature if you have not already.

EDIT: TRN Douglas' idea of getting a dedicated server is probably your best bet, and EV1 would be a good place to start off.
    DreamHost Web Hosting
    Shared and VPS hosting + dedicated servers and colocation.
    ... and we're green, too!
    Hosting your dreams since 1997.

If you rent a Server on Managed (as the Hosting kids does) then with Cpanel you have all the features you want. About the Streaming, as far as I know Windows media Streaming needs a Windows server (for live shows), if you just want to upload a video file and open the link with Windows Media then if that's Streaming for you then all the world has it
    ^_^

Originally posted by ANMMark
    [However, I should mention that streaming media beyond Flash, does not lend itself very well to Unix/Linux based servers (although possible of course), and is more efficient on a Windows platform.
    Thank you for the head's up on this. I am new to streaming media. I have a client that would like to stream video clips of films they are producing. I've noticed some providers provide Real Media from Linux, but wasn't sure if that's good enough.

Originally posted by TRN Douglas You might actually want to consider getting your own dedicated server and just having someone admin it for you. I would recommend EV1Servers as a candidate and possibly www.wemanageservers.com (might be .net), to manage your server. This would give you the flexibility that you need, and would allow you to structure your budget accordingly. Alternatively, there are folks that will provide you a comprehensive solution for you to where you just pay the bill and run the server as you need to (with allowances for compliance to company rules). They do tend to cost a little bit more, though.
    Thank you for the suggestions. I'll check them out. I would prefer to control the server as much as possible, with the admin basically just ensuring the connection to the network and making software updates and occasional "health checkups" as requested.

well of course practically any media type can be uploaded, but when clicked on or opened will simply open with a local media player. That can of course be done on Linux
    avidInteractive

Originally posted by miakeru I think that anonymous FTP would be kind of hard to find these days. Much like shell access, I have seen the number of providers that offer it dwindle.
    Would it be easier to find with a dedicated account, do you think?

Hopefully you can find a host that offers what you are looking for! You might also want to check out the Host Quote feature if you have not already.
    Thank you for the lead! I hadn't noticed that.

EDIT: TRN Douglas' idea of getting a dedicated server is probably your best bet, and EV1 would be a good place to start off.
    Yes, that's most likely what I will do.

Originally posted by ANMMark
    well of course practically any media type can be uploaded, but when clicked on or opened will simply open with a local media player. That can of course be done on Linux
    I've already been doing that, but I would also like the capability of doing streaming, like what's done with Real.

correct. That's where you will encounter the issue.

You can definately stream from a unix/linux box. However, it wouldn't be as efficient as on a windows box, and depending on file type uses massive resources and bandwidth, which can bog down a Unix/Linux box.
    avidInteractive

correct. That's where you will encounter the issue.

You can definately stream from a unix/linux box. However, it wouldn't be as efficient as on a windows box, and depending on file type uses massive resources and bandwidth, which can bog down a Unix/Linux box.
    Thanks for the info. Do you know of any websites or other references which do a full review of the differences between streaming from Windows and from Linux? I'm just curious as to the full scope of the differences.

At any rate, I can be open to considering a provider that provides both Linux and Windows hosting, and use the Windows option just for video streaming.