Nameservers/DNS question:

What is the best way to do this:

I registered my domain name through namecheap.com, currently, I am using namecheaps nameserver registration for nameservers creation.

How do i have only 2 nameservers (ns1 and ns2) point to an unlimited amount of servers?

Thanks!
    Last edited by holiday; 03-29-2004 at 06:07 PM.

do you mean you want to point your domain to your server or something else?

I'm not clear what you are asking - are you looking to set up your OWN server running DNS for all of your domains, or are you looking to have namecheap's DNS send people to different servers to distribute your web load. Are you describind round-robin DNS or load balancing? Please give us some more to go on.
    Christian Dawson
    Chairman, i2Coalition
    http://www.i2coalition.com
    follow us on Twitter @i2coalition!

2 nameservers:

ns1.domain.com
    ns2.domain.com

everyone uses these nameservers, and they will point to unlimited number of webservers.

EXAMPLE:------------
    You have 20 servers. You tell your customers to modify the dns for thier domain to point to your servers by using ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com

Those two nameservers are given to all customers, and represent all servers.

You can't point ns1 & ns2 to an unlimited no of servers. It's like having www pointing to let's say 10 server... it's not like that... it should point to only one IP.... it imposible and not rational what you're asking....

maybe i should rephrase.

if you have 20 servers, how many nameservers do you have? 2 right.

How do you have 2 nameservers, but have multiple servers using them.
    Last edited by holiday; 03-29-2004 at 10:50 PM.

That's right... you can have a nameserver to server an unlimited number of domains (zones); every domain you want this nameserver to serve you must add his zone configuration into the nameserver...
    So the two nameservers ns1 & ns2 will point to only 2 IP's. A domain, for example "domain.com" will use this nameservers... and if someone want to visit that domain's page your nameservers will be asked what IP have "domain.com".
    So, as i said your nameservers IP's will be fixed (they will not change) and you can add as many domains (zones) you want.
    Last edited by noc32; 03-30-2004 at 03:26 AM.

So do i just copy the dns/zone info from server 1 to server 2,3,4,5...?

you mean servers or domains ??? with 2 DNS nameservers then only 1 SERVER that pointed IP will work with unlimtied domains
    example mydomains.com and mydomain.net have same 2 DNS look like ns1.xxxx.com and ns2.xxxx.com , you must add 2 DNS at each domain .

What you have to do is point ns1.yourdomain.com to 111.111.111.111 a.k.a server1.yourdomain.com.

Then you have ns2.yourdomain.com which points to 222.222.222.222 a.k.a server2.yourdomain.com

On these two servers, you must add identical zone files which direct the visitor to *any* server you want. It can be 1, 10, or 100 servers.
    | Priority support (Since July 2001) | 99.9%+ uptime (Alertra stats available) |
    | Dual Xeon servers at local data center | Premium PEER1 bandwidth |
    | Visit us today | www.webulex.com |