Thread: Basic Setup

Hybrid View

Basic Setup

Lets say for a moment I have purchased a reseller account and have made a template for my website, where do I go from there? Anything else I need to setup? I am guessing the reseller account won't provide me with everything I need to get started.
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

Hi there Yowen,

You have a long looooooong way to go.

Im just going to mention some things you should review and setup before even putting that website onto your account:

Billing software: You are going to need billing software, Most billing software includes a signup form, so thats one less worry. Billing software takes your prospective client through the methods of getting you your payment and also getting you the information to make and create the clients account.

Paypal/Merchant Account: your going to need an account to receive you payments, Paypal is a great starter account but i would not really rely on it and if you have a business plan i would set a point where you are going to change from Paypal or ADD another payment method, i would highly recommend a merchant account.

For example: 4Hosted.. We only accept Paypal at the moment but we have a set point in our business plan where we expect to do a changeover to worldpay being our Main Merchant account and collecting and verifying payments for us. So we have this clearly outlined, when and where in our business we hope to implement this great resource.

Helpdesk: Your going to need a Helpdesk.. Maybe not at the moment but you soon will if you hope to take on customers and have somewhere (Other than just an email address) to contact you, A helpdesk is software that will help you manage customers queries and keep them all in order so you can reply to them and close them when the customers problem has been all sorted out.

All these programs do cost money and we have all spent our hard-earned money on them to make sure prospective clients and future clients can benefit from using them to make our lives 10-20 times easier.

I hope this helps and best of luck my friend

yowen, while I don't want to try and discourage you....this should have really be thought of prior to buying the reseller account.

You need to have a solid business plan in place, before entering into a business, unless of course, you're not looking to stay in business long, or at least not do very well.

For example....

While you are sitting here asking us about these questions, there are literally hundreds of other folks doing the exact same thing, and getting into the exact same business, and are at the same stage that you are now. The difference that will make one succeed over the other is a strong business plan prior to jumping in.
    Mark - Owner/Lead Designer
    avidInteractive
    Lead vocalist for Circle7: Circle7 on MTV

You will need the following:

Logo

Merchant Account

Help Desks

Billing Software

Just to name a few.

Gook Luck
    Golden Globe Hosting | It's Time To Get Online.
    www.goldenglobehosting.com
    info@goldenglobehosting.com

depends on what control panel you go with.

With Hsphere you will not have to go looking for anything except the clients.

Regards,
    Mediopia Technologies, Inc - Call Toll Free (24 x 7): 1-877-807-HOST
    Windows and Linux Reseller and Shared Web Hosting Plans
    SiteStudio, ASP, ASP.net, PHP, CGI, Coldfusion MX 6.1, Frontpage, MS SQL Server, MySQL, PgSQL ...
    http://www.mediopia.biz/

Wow thanks for the replies, I'll check into it all.

Originally posted by ANMMark
    yowen, while I don't want to try and discourage you....this should have really be thought of prior to buying the reseller account.

You need to have a solid business plan in place, before entering into a business, unless of course, you're not looking to stay in business long, or at least not do very well.

For example....

While you are sitting here asking us about these questions, there are literally hundreds of other folks doing the exact same thing, and getting into the exact same business, and are at the same stage that you are now. The difference that will make one succeed over the other is a strong business plan prior to jumping in.
    Since Yowen's question appeared to by hypothetical ("Lets say for a moment I have purchased a reseller account ..."), I would suggest that's what he's doing now.
    ~ "Hello, my name is Tom, and I'm a web hosting addict..." ~
    A couple of my most recent addictions include:
    Blog About Nothing - No, really...
    Death Etc. - Bringing The Macabre To Life

What reseller hosts would you recommend?

For a web sit you can go to monstertemplates.com. When Is started as a reseller I got my site from them. As time went on I learnt how to put a few mail forms in there. The site still sux but I am working on it. As for getting clients google's ad words program seems to be pretty good (https://adwords.google.com/select/). However since there are many hosts out there I have noticed that the best way to get clients is by word of mouth. In the beginning I took a big loss. Over time I broke even. If you devote your time to it you will make it big. You go to try hard and not give up. Also customer service MUST be a top priority.

What reseller hosts would you recommend?
    That really depends on your requirements.

There are so many options out there. Do you want to be able to oversell for example?

Try the Host quote if you didn't already: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/request.php

hmmm. Didnt know that feature existed..