Thread: Update Commands

* Update Commands

Hi All,

I need to know what update commands must be do always on the server ?

And when must be do it ?

Regards
    Last edited by FreeFox; 03-29-2004 at 03:27 AM.

It's not as simple as that, it can depend on the distribution you are using, if you are using Red Hat 9, Fedora or EE then you can sign up for RHN, and use up2date, (Do man up2date), I cannot remeber the commands exactly, something like up2date -u. But I think you also need to get the updated SSL information.

But if your on a distribution such as Slackware (Example) you will have to search the web for ubdates, kernel.org, apache, bind, mail, iptables etc.

Do it as soon as a patch comes out - only if the patch is useful and will stop security holes.

The problem with manual updaters such as up2date is it's generic and can cause problems for entire system, so I would personal download the updates I need and install/update them my self, possible from source also.

Regards

DislexiK
    "You don’t learn to hack, you hack to learn"

What are you talking about? Downloading the updates is the rpms which is what up2date uses. Now to be frank, you are more likely to break things compiling from source if you aren't sure what you are doing than using up2date.

As for the original poster, in short, any software you use on the server have to be patch, especially when a known exploit becomes available. This goes far beyond the scope of just OS patches.
    ••• Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts! •••
    ••• http://www.sprintserve.net •••
    ••• Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting | •••
    ••• Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management | •••

You can also consider apt-get for linux, specially if you have an older distribution.

Like others said, we would need to know the OS

Just to add on to what hostito recommended, you can get apt for Fedora and Red Hat (6.2-9.0) at http://apt.freshrpms.net/. You can then automate updating your machine by running apt-get update and apt-get upgrade in a cron job.

You can also use program, which is similar to apt. I prefer to use yum instead of apt, because I find it more easy to use.

See how to install yum (look down for the choon's post)

In fact i need to know:

First things i need to know what daily/weekly/monthly commands (the standard system updates that a server).

And for more i need to know about update the system to the latest versions.

This is a little bit more information about my server:

For Web hosting
    Red Hat 7.3 Linux
    cPanel/WHM

What you need more?

Kind Regards

I second the suggestion of YUM, its a great program, totally beats using up2date.
    Chris Eastman
    SplitInfinity Networks, Inc.
    Web Hosting, Dedicated Servers, and Colocation!
    Instant signup available for cpanel shared and reseller accounts!