VCD Format help.

I want to turn my VHS's into VCD's and store the VHS's in the garage. I have a TV turner and wondering what format to use? I been recording in WMV for TV shows as it is small in file size, although it's not very good quality. Any way to get better quality onto a 700MB disk? I have a JVC DVD player that is quite new and should play all formats.

I have a Winfast TV200 XP deluxe. I've checked out www.dvdrhelp.com though I have no idea what to look for.
    Don't look for a way out.

Record In DivX Avi.
    Use ULead DVD Workshop (I believe it's called)
    --

DVD players won't play in DivX format.

Have you transferred the video to your computer yet Rdx?

If not you can download WinDVD recorder and follow this tutorial.

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/userguides/149935.php

If you do the capture properly you shouldn't need to edit the film afterwards.
    Now you can use your burning program, I recommend NERO and burn the file to CD using the make video cd option.

Nero came with my CD-RW burner so that won't be a problem. I would like to know what format to use to capture it. The software that came with my TV card lets me set up all the settings. Last time I tried mpeg it came out to be 100MB for 5-10 minutes of video, which would be fine if it could fit on a CD-R disk. Most of my movies are over 80min and 700MB unless in WMV format.

I have some video tools such as; TMPGEnc and VideoWav3 SE (Which came with the card).

I said capture in DivX, And then ULead DVD Workshop converts it to true VCD format. Quite nicely too.

DivX because of the small size.
    --

But the problem with converting to divx and then to VCD is you lose too much quality.

You can get near DVD quality if you do it directly to mpg.

RDX, try that program I mentioned. It will convert directly to VCD encoded mpg which you can then burn as a VCD using NERO.
    Your file will be approximately 10mb per minute of video with sound.

VCDs burn by length not by size. You can burn an 800mb file on a 700mb disk if the video in the file is only 80 minutes long.

All VCD's I've ever seen (admittedly not too many) have always been recorded as MPEG's so I'd go with Blue27's suggestion.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Like usual FireFox was a POS when submitting this so I have to write it from scratch again.

My TV card came with WinFast Wizzard which is a PVR and a FM turner, it's a great program if you learn what all the settings are.

The Capture profiles it gives me are:

MPEG-1 Normal/Good/Optimal Quality
    MPEG-2 Normal/Good/Optimal Quality
    VCD/SVCD/DVD
    Windows Media Video
    Uncompressed AVI
    Direct Burn VCD/SVCD/DVD

The Video Codecs they give me are:

MPEG-1 Codec
    MPEG-2 Codec
    Windows Media Video Compression
    DV Video Encoder
    Indeo video 5.10 Compression filter
    Indeo video 5.11 Compression filter
    MJPEG Compressor
    Cinepak Codec
    DivX 5.0.5 Codec
    Intel 4:2:0 Video V2.50
    Intel Indeo Video R3.2
    Intel Ideo Video 4.5
    Ligos Indeo Video 5.11
    Intel IYUV Codec
    MS MPEG-4 Video Codec V1
    MS MPEG-4 Video Codec V2
    MS RLE
    MS Video 1

It also asks me for the resolution, Bitrate, Video Quality and target data rate in KBPS.

The settings for VCD are MPEG-1, 352x240 NTSC resolution/Constant Bitrate/1000(Max) Video quality and 1150 target data rate (KBPS)

The SVCD is MPEG-2, 480x480 NTSC SV, Constant Bitrate, 600 Video Quality, 2400 data rate (KBPS)

There are so many settings i'm not sure which one to go with as it will take me the length of the video which I will probably do while away/asleep and set it on a timer then do a video edit. I want to do this only once so I would like to get it right the first time. It will be running through a 50ft coax cable then through the TV turner card so it won't be DVD quality but I would like it best I can get it.
    Last edited by RDX1; 03-29-2004 at 08:55 PM.

You should use MPEG-2 SVCD for best quality.

If the codec is installed on your computer it should go automatic.

I think for SVCD the frame rate should be 23fps.
    480x480 is fine since it's probably not wide screen format.

All the codecs are install with the program. I'll try it tonight after I get a new plug for it. I was moving and the COAX cord was tight, busted the COAX>RCA adapter and I need to buy a new one. Luckily the RCA plugs right into the card and can be replaced easily.

If you're burning VCD's, wouldn't you select VCD direct burn?
    --

I don't know which format would be best. This is a long process as you have to record them real time. I don't want to record it and have the file be too big, or the quality too low and have to do it all over again.

For the love of god, don't use nero to convert your videos!
    If you really wanna re-encode, use TmpegENC. They got a free copy that'll give you a 30 day trial of thier SVCD format thing, and no limit on vcd.

at the same bit rate, SVCD will always look better than VCD. VCD's format only allows for ~1200Kbit/sec for video & audio, so you loose a lot of quality. SVCD is the way to go if you can spare a 2nd CD or so. SVCD lets you put 45 minutes of video on a CD.

Also, remember that a (s)vcd can hold 800MB of data on a 700MB cd

~Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

Not all dvd players support SVCD
    Mine only supports VCD but no SVCD.
    --

I bought some DVD cases with dual clips (Holds two DVD's) I don't want to switch disks in the middle though. I did get a new part though since I broke mine. I got my COAX to RCA part for only $2. I think the quality is better now.

A lot of my VHS's are 90 minutes. I won't be able to use one disk with VHS quality? I don't need perfect DVD quality, just good enough quality as VHS.
    Last edited by RDX1; 03-30-2004 at 02:18 AM.

SVCD will do near DVD quality in some cases. If you want VHS quality, you can go with just VCD, though, you'll only get 80 minutes on (unless, of course, you get some 99min cd-r's).

going to SVCD will be a waste for you, since you'll just be wasting space.

~Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

I'm looking for a AUDIO/VIDEO to COAX converter but they are around $30, there are not small converters for around $5-$10?