What should I pay for 5bmps and 1/2 rack?

I'm new to colocation, and am outgrowing the T1 I have into my office. I live near the Nocster datacenter so I am thinking of just dropping my gear there. What am I looking at for a half rack, 5 mbps, 20 IP's? Any suggestions other than Nocster? I've read some bad things on these boards about their network.

from a decent host, I would say $1000-$1500.
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"

Agreed.
    DreamHost Web Hosting
    Shared and VPS hosting + dedicated servers and colocation.
    ... and we're green, too!
    Hosting your dreams since 1997.

Hello.

BurstNET are about to relunch there colocation services with updated prices, they are going to try to match dedicated sever offerings in bandwidth and price. I would advise that you wait around a little bit to see what they have to offer, you never know... If it takes of, other companys may follow

Regards,
    Thomas Currie
    Europhase UK Limited - XEN/OpenVZ UK/US Virtual Private Servers | R1Soft Backups for Web Hosts
    Custom R1Soft Backups | UK/US Web Hosting | UK/US Virtual Private Servers
    99.9% Uptime SLA | Non Overloaded Service | Guaranteed Ram / Resources
    Company: SC345142 VAT: GB-947754180 Tel: 0870 4710 895

200-600 for half a rack
    200-800 for the bandwidth

just depends on the quality your looking for....

Originally posted by Dilhole
    200-600 for half a rack
    200-800 for the bandwidth

just depends on the quality your looking for....

Those are fairy accurate numbers

Originally posted by ThomasC
    BurstNET are about to relunch there colocation services with updated prices, they are going to try to match dedicated sever offerings in bandwidth and price. I would advise that you wait around a little bit to see what they have to offer, you never know... If it takes of, other companys may follow
    Note that this post is not a flame, it is no more than a reference to past events published by BurstNET, NOCSTER, public comments made by BurstNET's CTO, and a previous WHT thread in which the BurstNET CEO participated. I am neither calling names, nor making accusations; meerly referencing some history of the company being discussed in this thread. However, if you read some of the quotations and links below, I suspect you might think the way I do, that perhaps there is a reason BurstNET has, by their own public statements, re-designed their network and/or re-launched their services several times in recent history.

Have you ever been to a run-down apartment complex, and had them tell you, "We're remodelling right now," or "we expect rennovations to be complete by...?" You may see one work crew painting a single building or replacing carpet in a few units, but generally, these run-down complexes stay run-down. Then why point out the presence of the routine maintenance folks as if it were a big rennovation? To give potential tennants the idea that the building they've been shown, while in poor shape now, will be as attractive as model units in a few short months.

Anyway, here are the historical links I'd like to reference. I do hope the BurstNet CEO will not "have me thrown out," for linking to this information, although I suspect that the WHT moderators are not biased in such a manner.

From the nocster web site...:
    4/28/2003: BurstNET™ hires former Netaxs™ & AboveNET™ employee as Senior Network Engineer. Alex Yuriev to redesign BurstNET™ network and position company for future growth.
    And on the burstnet news page, when it works...:
    4/22/2003, BurstNET™ orders CTSI™ GIG-E circuit to Philadelphia POP.
    Or, let's look at some remarks about Mr Yuriev, while working for BurstNET and prior to their lengthy outage caused evidently by a lack of redundant transport facilities...
    http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=35015
    "C&W has been uncompetitive in the U.S. market... The big joke was that they should have been called 'Clueless and Spineless' as they never had any cables or wires here -- it was always from MCI or someone else," Yuriev says.
    Or here's an old WHT thread with the CEO of BurstNET threatening to have someone "thrown out" of WHT because that person pointed out that 20th Century Fox is not a customer of BurstNET, yet BurstNET used the 20th Century Fox logo on their list of customers. http://www.webhostingtalk.com/archiv.../164709-1.html
    You have no idea what you are talking about. Stop trying to cause trouble, when you have no idea what the facts or details of our past or present client base are. Mind your own business tandem, before I get you thrown out of here for constant trolling of our company. I've about had enough of you.

We are hosting some of their content, or one of their sites. The fact that it is not their main website means nothing.

Also, it doesn't necessarily mean they are current clients, just that they have been at one time or another.

Webex, for example, is not a current client, but we have them listed because we hosted their big SuperBowl ad with Rupaul 2-3 years ago.
    Jeff at Innovative Network Concepts / 212-981-0607 x8579 / AIM: jeffsw6
    Expert IP network consultation and operation at affordable rates
    95th Percentile Explained Rate-Limiting on Cisco IOS switches

I appreciate everyone's input. I will definatly enter into this with caution if I choose Burst. It gives me a bit of bargaining power when I call the sale's guy too

You want "bargaining power" with burst's already low pricing?

Mrdredd: I suppose I don't need to haggle too much, but $100/month is $100/month.

Do you really need a full half-rack? and will you be using 5Mbps constantly or very near it?

Theres other things you can do to save some cash and it doesnt necessarily mean going with one of the cheapest providers out there (service reflects price after all, most of the time )

I am unsure if I'll use 5mbps, I am running on a 1.5 T1 right now. As for the half rack, I currently have 3 Dell Poweredge 400SC's , with some rails they slide into a rack. They take up about 4U each. I think the purchase of 3 new 1-2U servers would be more than the savings of a smaller plan. I am operating on a small budget (~$2000 setup with ~$500/month) and looking to grow slowly. The convenience of having the datacenter 30 minutes from my house/office is a big reason I'm looking at Burst.

With 3 tower servers, that is still only 12U which is about 1/4 rack.
    Slow growth meaning you wouldnt need the 22U+ at first which you could drop and further lower your cost.

If you are sustaining your operations well on a 1.5mbps circuit, you shouldnt jump up to 5Mbps with no real reason to.

Think about getting a 2Mbps commit on 95% with a low per mbps overage cost, or even burstable and billed by amount of transfer (per gbps)

The amount you have set for setup fee is nice, however I feel the monthly price is a bit low... most places wont even charge you a setup fee (depending) to just rack your machines, and assign you 1/4 or 1/2 rack so maybe rework your math calculating no setup and higher monthly and see what you can come up with.

Also, depending on your provider - being 30 minutes, or 10 hours away isnt that big of a deal anymore, but that is a big "DEPENDING" on which provider you choose.
    With Burst, I would recommend being close, but there are providers you dont even have to worry about sending in replacement hardware.

Thank you again for your advice. I am sure someday I'll be ready to step up to the big datacenters with the stellar support. I will explore 1/4 rack and 2mbps with some other colo's before I decide.

The stellar support isnt out of your reach Cloudmind - You can get it with your budget... you just cant get it from the ones that advertise cheapness.

(You can get low prices and excellent support, you just have to "find" them)

Very true, just like everyhting else in life, you get what you pay for. Get a little less, pay a bit more and have the piece of mind. I'm sure I'll be sorry if I base my decision on price alone, especially after that 1st 3am customer "wakeup call".

If your growing you might as well get a 1/2 instead of a 1/4 instead of dealing with the hassel of upgrading to a larger rack later. Moving equipment sucks, downtime sucks.
    Nick Twaddell
    WebSpace Solutions - Custom E-Solutions
    Fast, Reliable, Affordable Web Hosting

Depends on the provider and depends on growth patterns and it also depends on your preferences.

You dont neccessarily have to have all your machines in one rack.

Originally posted by jsw6
    Have you ever been to a run-down apartment complex, and had them tell you, "We're remodelling right now," or "we expect rennovations to be complete by...?" You may see one work crew painting a single building or replacing carpet in a few units, but generally, these run-down complexes stay run-down. Then why point out the presence of the routine maintenance folks as if it were a big rennovation? To give potential tennants the idea that the building they've been shown, while in poor shape now, will be as attractive as model units in a few short months.
    Jeff - Alex did WONDERS for Burst's network infrastructure. Burst is getting in backup fiber from XO, and they've been planning it for longer than you think. They did drop their PPL link for some reason, but were looking to get an XO line in as soon as CTSI started acting up. I work for another company (besides BSDserver.com), who resells for Burst, and I've had conversations with their CEO about this in the past.

From the nocster web site...:
    4/28/2003: BurstNET™ hires former Netaxs™ & AboveNET™ employee as Senior Network Engineer. Alex Yuriev to redesign BurstNET™ network and position company for future growth.
    And on the burstnet news page, when it works...:
    4/22/2003, BurstNET™ orders CTSI™ GIG-E circuit to Philadelphia POP.
    Or, let's look at some remarks about Mr Yuriev, while working for BurstNET and prior to their lengthy outage caused evidently by a lack of redundant transport facilities...
    http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=35015
    "C&W has been uncompetitive in the U.S. market... The big joke was that they should have been called 'Clueless and Spineless' as they never had any cables or wires here -- it was always from MCI or someone else," Yuriev says.
    What does this have to do with anything? I don't see any connection between Alex's statements about C&W and BurstNET - They've never had transport, fiber, or bandwidth from C&W. Alex is speaking on his own in that article, and doesn't only work with Burst. Believe me when I say Alex knows what he's talking about - He knows the industry inside out.

Or here's an old WHT thread with the CEO of BurstNET threatening to have someone "thrown out" of WHT because that person pointed out that 20th Century Fox is not a customer of BurstNET, yet BurstNET used the 20th Century Fox logo on their list of customers. http://www.webhostingtalk.com/archiv.../164709-1.html
    Tandem had been flaming BurstNET for a while, and guess what... He was temporarily BANNED.

You stated that "I am neither calling names, nor making accusations; meerly referencing some history of the company being discussed in this thread. ", yet chose to be considerably "one-sided" in your references. Have you had personal experiences with Burst?

-Josh

It really hurts for me to say this, but coming from a reseller, BurstNET is a great company if you want decent support at really low prices. Their support people are really patient, and they know what they're doing.

However, BurstNET is NOT a good company if you're looking for network quality. To be honest, their network stinks. Expect packet loss and occaisional problems with the telco. You should also expect a new network problem to crop up a few weeks after another one gets resolved.

If you're new to running a server, then Nocster's a great place to start learning. However, if you want a decent network, go with NAC or another provider in N.E.
    If the bigger hosts are fancy French restaurants, consider my service the friendly small-town diner.
    HostMidwest.com- you deserve honest, helpful, and reliable service!