Advice on Reselling

Hi, I am just wanting some advice on peoples experiences when reselling hosting.

I have found the host i want to use and thought up a name, found the money, make a ver basic (almost none existant) business plan.

Then thought to myself, wait i dont know a thing about this so i thought i better get some advice, should i find a partner to 1. Invest in the business and 2. most importantly help me.

thanks in advnace for all replies.

Jason L

This type of a question seems to be getting asked more and more frequently, and the common response is why are you getting into hosting if you don't know anything about it? Would you open a car shop if you didn't know anything about cars?

If you really want to do this from a profit perspective, then hire a team to manage and operate the business for you, made up of people that do know what they are doing. That's probably going to up your cost a lot however which will most likely lower your profit. You should really think hard about this before proceeding.
    Matt Walters
    http://mattwalters.net/ - Weblog

As Matt said. You need to work out whether you will make profit and whether you have any experience in the webhosting industry

Its is good to have experience in the hosting industry.
    But there is no way to get that unless you actually take the plunge and do it.
    You should do a lot of research about hosting before you start your own business in the hosting industry.
    Too many people start a business but dont do the research and check that it involves.

You said you already have a business plan, thats a great start that will really help you.
    A lot of people dont do a business plan, I did one when I started and I think it really helps.
    I am now also redoing my business plan as Im changing the focus of my hosting services to cater more for resellers.

Having someone to help you as a partner is a great asset, make sure they know what they are doing though.

You will also have to make sure the host you go with will be able to help you along as you are just starting out.

Hope that helps
    John
    John Diver
    CanaryHotspot.com - Canary Island forum and information
    InternationalChatForum.com - International Travel Chat Forum and information

The first thing I would recommend is having other RESELLERS evaluate your business plan. That way they can critique what you are already planning and give you feedback on what works and what doesn't. Also, make sure you have a substantial amount of expertise in internet marketing because the hardest part about the business is the customer service and client acquisition.

Maybe it's better to start small and take small steps, one at a time. Unless you have to start your hosting business right now for whatever reason, maybe you'd be better off growing into it gradually and move into doing it full time when you've gathered enough experience. I see a lot of people on the same path as myself: first you have your own site and get some experience while having it hosted on a shared server. Then I moved on to a reseller account and started hosting sites for friends, family and a few non-profit organizations for free. Now I have a couple of paying customers, but I always tell them that this is not my main area and I'm just a reseller for another company. Not having to run my own server saves me a lot of headache and whenever I have a problem I can always ask my host, so all in all I believe I can provide decent service for the money I'm asking since the important things are looked after not by me but by someone a lot more competent than me. And who knows, I could decide later to devote a bit more of my time to it.

Jason,
    A business plan is the first step. Congrats. If you live in the US, go to the closest office of the SBA and talk to them. You get free business advice and help.

Also - brush up your skills in regards to customer service and how to run a business. Web Hosting experience is also necessary. Start hosting friends and family and learn from these things.

Everyone had to start at one point. Nobody was born as a web host. It just might require a little more time if you're not already involved into this industry somehow.

Good Luck.
    Web Hosting Resource Kit - Web Hosting Reviews & Hosting Tutorials

This type of a question seems to be getting asked more and more frequently, and the common response is why are you getting into hosting if you don't know anything about it? Would you open a car shop if you didn't know anything about cars?
    I suspect it's because selling web hosting is so easy and inexpensive to do. You can purchase reseller accounts for $20/month, buy a domain name for $5, signup for a third-party credit card account for $50, and you're away! It's everyone's dream to own and operate their own business. The harsh reality is that it's extremely difficult.

I agree completely
    Matt Walters
    http://mattwalters.net/ - Weblog