sharing a dedicated server

hi all,
    firstly the idea is to get say 10-20 people who would like to start their own company up usign a dedicated server that cant afford one. I want 10-20 people who would pay $5 a month for a share in a dedicated server.

A website would be setup password protected for use by all the members to talk and help each other out

A second website would be setup with all the members having a spoit on for their hosting deals and links to their websites.

Help would be given to all members in setting up their website or business and advertising it.

The server would be invisible to the public so we would seem invisible as a group.

You could sell you share on to other people who need hosting in whatever quantity you want using whm to setup accoutns and give your customers the award winning cpanel.

The server would be managed with a 99.99 uptime

The server would be kept up to date with all security fixes and upgrades to keep it working at its best.

There would be a maximum of 100 shares on the server so thats an average of 5 shares per member.

You could sell reseller accounts and they would be activated by us for free within 48 hours of us receiving the request, normally within 24 hours though.

You can register domains with any company you want and our nameservers will be ananomous so you seem to be the host all the time.

Anyone interested please contact me:
    aim = volmasoft
    msn = [email protected]
    yahoo = nathanieljpfreeman

I would like to remind you all that this isn't a company that your buying off it is just two friends who want to get goign in the market and would be putting in their money as well to get a share.
    Cheers for reading.

This sounds my like an "offer" to me, and thus, wouldn't be allowed in this thread.
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz
    Connect: linkedin.com/in/brendandiaz

it isn't an offer

the post isn't an offer, i am simply trying to help out all the people who want to start a web hosting company to doing it. Im in the same position as i can't personally afford a dedicated server to make my life easy so i am helping not makign an offer.

Well, if all the 100 shareholders will have root access to the server, it is not an offer. If the server will be managed by two admins who will issue the "securities," then the whole announcements sounds more like IPO.
    :: :: :: :: :: ::
    :: VDSP.Net :: Directory of virtual and dedi serv providers by location and price

you got the idea all wrong

the idea is to give everyone including us two a share fo the server wiout having to pay full price, we all get a whm accoutn and can setup accounts through WHM. This allows small companys to get going like ours.

This idea is incorporated in the VDS/VPS technology. One should take the trouble of collecting the money and patching the server. On the other hand, with $5 share one will get 1Gb HD - if 160 G HD orderd.
    :: VDSP.Net :: Directory of virtual and dedi serv providers by location and price

the idea

the idea is to give 2 gigs of space and 25 gigs of bandwith depending on how many group members.

I tried to set that up once. Too much of a hassle. On the other hand, it might work if 3-4 resellers (one experienced with server management) want to share a dual Xeon with 2 GB DDRAM, rather than buying their own 1 GHz Celerons w/ 128 MB RAM...
    If the bigger hosts are fancy French restaurants, consider my service the friendly small-town diner.
    HostMidwest.com- you deserve honest, helpful, and reliable service!

any ideas

any ideas on how it can get going? if not any ways to get a cheap dedicated server??

Then you will have to order Dual 3.0 with 2G RAM, 2TB B/W, and Dual 200 G HD. This wil cost around $400. Not to mention the money you should pay to your nice assistant lady to keep the Aktionergesellschaft going.

But the idea is interesting. How are you going to collect the money?

Remember, the less you spend, the less service/uptime you get.

I would think about getting a Xeon (with hyperthreading) from either Managed.com, Nocster.com, or ServerMatrix.com.

If you're unfamiliar with server management, add about $30-$60/month on to either have it managed by the provider or by a third party.

Be sure to include to cost of a control panel such as WHM/CPanel or DirectAdmin. (usually $10-$30/month for an internal license)

Figure out who you can trust to give root access to. You might not want to let anyone (including yourself) besides the management company have it.

Such a setup might cost a little under $300/month. Split among 6 resellers, that's about $50.
    If the bigger hosts are fancy French restaurants, consider my service the friendly small-town diner.

o...k...

ok, is there any cheap ways of getting a dedicated server, i eman i have seen oneandone.com's managed server for $49.99 a month but i have found that i cant limit the amount of bandwith on each account nor can i setup seperate accoutns so any ideas?

Re: o...k...

Originally posted by volmasoft
    ok, is there any cheap ways of getting a dedicated server, i eman i have seen oneandone.com's managed server for $49.99 a month but i have found that i cant limit the amount of bandwith on each account nor can i setup seperate accoutns so any ideas?
    I would not go with 1&1. They have... lackluster service. It took one guy 10 days to get a reboot.

The cheapest I would go is maybe Server4You or Nocster.

volmasoft: This part of the FAQ is not referring to the unmanaged / root servers but to the managed servers.

affhosting: 1&1 provides a remote reboot switch, so I'm not quite sure what you mean...
    Last edited by aldee; 03-28-2004 at 05:29 PM.