Lightbulb Can any one recommend companies that provide good servers with low bandwidth?

Im looking at wanting a personal server just to host my personal sites and projects im working on and maybe host a few friends. Trying to managed my own server and have some fun.

Im wanting a linux server with a P4 2Ghz or atleast a P3 with 1Ghz. Ram like 512.

With nice pings of course but bandwidth.. I just need atleast 30gigs.. proberly wont ever go above 50gb.

Cpanel also.

Any one know by any chance if any GOOD KNOWN companies offer this kind of service for like under $100 a month?

Try www.nocster.com, they do servers for about $60 per month with 100GB bandwidth
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    AgilityHosting.net - UK & European cPanel Web Hosting

I wouldn't recommend nocster. I've had nothing but trouble with them. I've moved to www.globaldc.com they're very good but most importantly cheap. They have excellent support. Do not mind helping. Give services for free which other companies will charge you $100 a time for. All in all a very good deal.

Their site is down??

Prior to the downtime that Nocster had the other week, they were always very good for me, and I have no seen any outage announcements since. Also, their support is excellent compared to many other server companies.

Originally posted by BeerHandle
    Their site is down??
    yep, down here too in the UK. I seen a thread yesterday about GlobalDC which basically stated that they have clients on 1.5mbit connections even though they sell them as 3mbit. 1.5Mbit is hardly anything, you should expect at least 10Mbit burstable nowadays for speed

I just talked to support on globaldc and the site wasn't down but they are upgrading the httpd the site should be back very soon. By the way gives you an idea of the speed of the support.

By there site... It already gives me a image I dont like. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Hello, I own Global Datacenter, and would like to clear a few things up.

#1, site was not down, restarting http so some ip blocks would take effect.
    #2, I am not selling servers saying their 3 megabit and only putting them on a 1.5 megabit connection. I said they were LOAD BALANCED, thus means a single person cannot use more then 1.5megabit, however, total is still 3 Megabits.
    #3, Connection utilization is about 10-15 average% at peak hours.

Thanks,
    Global Datacenter
    Global Datacenter
    Low Cost; Reliable Network; Unmetered Data Transfer
    3Mbit Unmetered, or 10Mbit Unmetered; Direct Admin Control Panel
    www.GlobalDC.com

Re: Can any one recommend companies that provide good servers with low bandwidth?

Originally posted by BeerHandle
    Im looking at wanting a personal server just to host my personal sites and projects im working on and maybe host a few friends. Trying to managed my own server and have some fun.
    You sound a lot like the situation I was in; I ended up getting a virtual private server. I've got the minimum plan at Dinix (VPS 100), for $35/month, which works out excellently. I get 6 GB of disk space (technically 7, but a little under 1 GB is used for the OS) and 75 GB of transfer. In practice, I have a minimum allotment of 128 MB RAM and 128 MHz CPU, but in practice, it feels like the whole Dual Xeon box (with 4 GB RAM) is ours. The only time it's mattered is when we tried to host a bunch of people in CounterStrike; after about 10 players it started to get really laggy.

If you're just looking for hosting and the ability to mess around as root, a VPS is exactly what you want. You get full root, but you don't have the costs of a dedicated server.

Originally posted by iHostBox
    I wouldn't recommend nocster. I've had nothing but trouble with them. I've moved to www.globaldc.com they're very good but most importantly cheap. They have excellent support. Do not mind helping. Give services for free which other companies will charge you $100 a time for. All in all a very good deal.
    Not to knock them or anything, but the maximum speed that you'll be able to tranfer things (backups, etc...) would be 1.5Mbps. At Nocster or most other hosts, that speed would be closer to 10-60Mbps. A DDOS or even a simple DOS attack could easily cripple their network.

- Matt

#1, We do have network firewalls,
    #2, If attack was from single ip, it would still leave half our bandwidth unaffected.
    #3, We have spoken to Cogent in extent on this, they stated they would be willling to block attacks at CO level for us

Thanks,
    Global Datacenter

[EDIT] And for backups of servers on our network, we offer low cost backup solution, so their backups would transfer at port speed of the server, not 1.5 megabits.
    Global Datacenter
    Low Cost; Reliable Network; Unmetered Data Transfer
    3Mbit Unmetered, or 10Mbit Unmetered; Direct Admin Control Panel
    www.GlobalDC.com