name servers: internal or external?

Hey guys,

I just signed up for liquidweb's DS1 package, and will be splitting it among clients, while using whois.cart with directi as the registrar. It has WHM/Cpanel set up.

Liquidweb gave me a few ips and suggested that I run my own DNS on the server so that I have full control and don't have to contact them to setup dns each time I create a new account. I went ahead that route, so I have ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com pointing at the same server, my new DS1. Looking at directi, it looks like I can brand my nameservers there, too. For instance, have ns1 - ns4.mydomain.com pointing to their hosted DNS for free. This is where I need your help.

I want automation when I create a new account, or at least as much as possible. If I change the nameservers to directi, can I set that up in WHM so whenever I create a new account it defaults to those name servers? Would it be smarter to host outside of my own box for redundancy and to reduce the server load or would it not make much of a difference? What is everyone's experience/recommendations?

Thanks in advance,
    Steve

>>Would it be smarter to host outside of my own box for redundancy and to reduce the server load or would it not make much of a difference?

I'm particularly interested in an answer to this question as well Just how much load does hosting DNS for your own domains add??

if you point it to directi nameservers and manage dns from there i think you have to use directi nameservers on the domain to be able to use their dns services.

otherwise if you use your nameservers pointed to their IPs i dont think directi will enable dns hosting services for that domain.

further more u can put directi's nameservers in your WHM and use their dns service, but you have to enter the dns data manually at directi's dns manager page i believe.
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi