Thread: donain name

donain name

When I for apply new a new domain, you have to type in the name you want. Does the spacing of text matter? Example, name of my site or nameofmysite. Does google and other search engines distiguish a difference? Also will including capitiol letters make a difference? I want to make it easy for people to find the site, so want to make sure how it is first registered is correct, thanks

There can be no spaces in the domain. Capitals do not matter (aBcdeFghijk.com or abCdEfGhijk.com will still point to abcdefghijk.com).
    >> MyHost4Life <<
    Professional, Competitively Priced Hosting Services.
    Guaranteed 99.9% Uptime with 24/7 Live Support!
    http://myhost4life.com/

you can't just have spaces in a domain it either is together or you can have a - but no spaces. It isn't case sensitive either, so capitals don't mean anything in a domain name.

Hope this helps

Greg

Edit: I got beat to the post.

so whether some one types in my domain name or mydomainname, a search engine will bring up the site? I know this is a somewhat stupid question, but I want to know for sure, thanks

It would depend on the search engine. Usually it will not happen. This is because the search engine will think of it has separate words, instead of one.
    >> MyHost4Life <<
    Professional, Competitively Priced Hosting Services.
    Guaranteed 99.9% Uptime with 24/7 Live Support!
    http://myhost4life.com/

thanks for the speedy reply, great board!

depends on how your META tags or your site name is.

for example if you search for kuwait net i wont be at top but for kuwaitnet ill be top.

there is some ways to optimize your ranking at top places.
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Originally posted by Hixster
    so whether some one types in my domain name or mydomainname, a search engine will bring up the site? I know this is a somewhat stupid question, but I want to know for sure, thanks
    if they type in "mydomainname.com" then *probably* as longa as you arelisted in that engine

if they type in "mydomainname" or any other words, then it will *entirely* depend on your ranking on that as a search term - which gets you into the arcane and oft-disputed realms of SEO

just remember - most people are seraching for some *content* and even if you get listed, you've still got to catch their attention and make the sale. concentrate on provider the consumer what they want - afterall they're the ones that spend the money, not the googlebots ...
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules