Best way to move data centers: Nameservers?

Hi, all. Here's my situation:

I currently share a server with a small group, but will be moving most of my accounts off onto a dedicated server in another datacenter.

Right now I have and registered with the old server. These are the name servers that my clients use with their domains.

On the new server I have complete control over everything. The new server is running WHM and Cpanel.

How should I set up name servers on the new server so that all I need to do is update the IP addresses of the nameservers with my registrar, and wait for propagation to occur? I can't assign IP addresses to and on the new server, because they already have IP addresses assigned to them - WHM errors out with the message:

"Sorry, the nameserver already has the ip x.x.x.x assigned to it."

My assumption is that I need to create nameservers on the new server before I can start adding domains, but I don't want to change the IP address of my nameservers with my registrar now because I don't want my clients' sites to start resolving to the new server until I'm completely ready.

Any advice is really appreciated!

why dont you use dns1 and dns2 and just change the nameservers of your domains when you fully moved.

later on modify the ns1/ns2 to dns1/dns2 Ips and you'll be done
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

3. Newsletters

Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!