Thread: ev1 nightmares

ev1 nightmares

Up until very recently I've had nothing but good things to say about ev1 (formerly RackShack). I wish I could say the same now.

Last week monday I noticed my email client was unable to connect to my server, sure enough, the box was down. I was just about to submit a ticket when I noticed my server came back up. `who -rb` show'ed that it was a forced reboot... someone at the datacenter hit my power button.

I continued to investigate until I got fed up with looking and submitted a ticket to check in to why my server was cycled. At about 12:00 am EST the next morning I saw ev1 log on to my box and preform the following:

---------------------
    echo Ev1-NameHidden investigating
    history | reboot #Taking my box down AGAIN!!
    ls
    history
    pico -w /root/.bash_history # EDITING bash history!?!?!
    ----------------------

So after sending them a ticket to investigate why my box went down earlier that day, they logged on, entered a command incorrectly, thus taking my box down again (`history | grep reboot`would have been correct). After the box came back up they log in and EDIT the history file.

Not only that, but I emailed back and forth with a manager over at ev1, it turns out the problem was:

------------------------
    Dear Valued Customer,
    Upon investigation we discovered that XXX.XXX.XXX.XX1 and XXX.XXX.XXX.XX2 have been switched on the racks. Approximately 6:45am CST XXX.XXX.XXX.2 ordered a reboot. The switch caused your server to be rebooted by mistake. We would like perimssion to bring your system offline and switched back to their proper places. Thank you
    ------------------------

So the initial reboot was their mistake as well. Three strikes ev1, you're out.
      0 Not allowed!

Eeeek...they edited the history to cover up a mistake?

Thats very bad.
      0 Not allowed!

they edited the history??

Oh my.......
    ·· Repeat after me... ProSupport is the best... Prosupport is... ··
    ProSupport Host Support System - OUT NOW! Grab a copy yourself and see what the hype is about!
    VertiHost Inc. - We run a quality business. Do you?
      0 Not allowed!

I have our Datacenter Manager reviewing this thread and will post a reply shortly, the technician who performed it has a poor habbit of using pico as a file viewer, it was not an attempt to cover up the mistake. Had they been editing to cover up their mistake, why would the lines in question still be there?
      0 Not allowed!

I am currently reviewing the account to figure out what exactly happened. I will be posting here with my findings.
      0 Not allowed!

I'd like to note that my server went down this morning at roughly 7:55am EST. The server was rebooted again without my consent around 9:45am EST.

Ticket opened at 6:12:48 EV1 time (Central?) No replies in ticket yet. Not even a word that someone is working on this.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by ev1-curtis
    I am currently reviewing the account to figure out what exactly happened. I will be posting here with my findings.
    Thank you Curtis, I'd appreciate anything you can do to get this resolved.

Edit: Coming to WHT regarding this issue wasn't my first attempt at resolving this problem. I had been email back and forth with a member of your staff (available upon request) and he was unable to tell me what went wrong, or what was gonig to be done about the problem. I don't want to give EV1 a bad name, they've always done very well for me, better then my past experiences. The past actions recently have been very unprofessional.
    Last edited by metallikop; 03-27-2004 at 01:29 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

pico -w /root/.bash_history

well he might used this to read the history to see if you have asked for reboot as some use this pico insted of cat.

but yes i agree with you that sounds and looks so bad so nither you or EV1 can prove any thing here, even though your point will be stronger why they should use that command with a client box who have a problem like this.
    http://boostdomain.com
    Affordable unlimited domain reseller plans
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers
      0 Not allowed!

The commands used above just don't sound like a "REAL" UNIX/Linux admin. Pico over vi? Easy commands missed history | reboot instead of history | grep reboot, etc. I know more then enough to deduce that this was not a hardware problem, or at least nothing obvious.

Not sure, these just seem like amature errors... not someone I'd want 'troubleshooting' my server.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by metallikop
    The commands used above just don't sound like a "REAL" UNIX/Linux admin. Pico over vi? Easy commands missed history | reboot instead of history | grep reboot, etc. I know more then enough to deduce that this was not a hardware problem, or at least nothing obvious.

Not sure, these just seem like amature errors... not someone I'd want 'troubleshooting' my server.
    I completely agree on the confusion regarding whether or not he edited the file, and as someone said above, there is no way to prove otherwise, which is why in general we instruct our technicians to never use this to view a file, and he will be counselled regarding this as well.

The technician in question is a member of our front line level 1 technical team and we will ensure he is properly instructed before performing future troubleshooting. The history | reboot execution was a slip of hand that I've probably performed on my own before ( Not the exact command, but it's certainly not the first time in history someone left out a word on accident, and he will be instructed to exercise more caution in the future ). Curtis is still looking into the root cause that spun off these other issues and will advise shortly.
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for the update WebDev.
      0 Not allowed!

I have investigated the issue. The server is correctly labeled, but it appears that your server is still located in the wrong spot. We will investigate why the clearly labeled server was rebooted when no request was made for that IP. As you mentioned in the post above, we requested your permission to take the server offline and fix the problem 4 days ago. We did not receive your permission to do this, thus the problem again occurred today. Please email at time when we can correct this problem. In the meantime I am putting a note on the system stating to not touch the server with out calling me first.

Curtis Stuart

<<<Signature to be setup in your profile.
    Yes, email address listed below your name also considered as signature.>>>
    Last edited by choon; 03-27-2004 at 02:48 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Email sent.

Why is it that I had to go through WHT in order to get anything accomplished?
      0 Not allowed!

Email sent.

Why is it that I had to go through WHT in order to get anything accomplished?

We have several contacts listed on our website including members of management who would've resolved this issue if they had been contacted.

http://www.ev1servers.net/english/support/index.asp

This lists the contact of our Technical Support Manager and Customer Service Manager. Also my email address: patms@ev1.net has been listed in several previous threads, including one from last night, everyone listed above checks emails before forums.

**EDIT** I do see you emailed Joe at 6am this morning, unfortunately he was not even awake before you made this post, nor was I, so email still would've garnered the same response.
    Last edited by WebDev; 03-27-2004 at 02:50 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for the help, and I hope we can avoid any future problems and continue business as usual. For the record, Ev1 has been a rock solid host, no complaints, save this past week. Now how about a discount on a Dual Xeon and we'll call it even?
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for the help, and I hope we can avoid any future problems and continue business as usual. For the record, Ev1 has been a rock solid host, no complaints, save this past week. Now how about a discount on a Dual Xeon and we'll call it even?
    haha....never hurts to try i guess.
      0 Not allowed!

We were using EV1 for our cheaper brand. We are just taking the last server out of EV1 today after some very worrying issues over the past two months. I will post the full story next week.....
    Formerly: Managing Director, Hostroute.com Ltd & Marketing Director, Ultraspeed UK Ltd
    View my Professional Profile: www.gordonhudson.com
      0 Not allowed!

Problem resolved, and email contact has been established between the two. Thread closed.
    Paradox Web Hosting - codyw@paradox-group.com
    - Shared and Dedicated Hosting Solutions: www.paradoxwebhosting.com
    - Auto Sales Manager 2004 now available!: www.autosalesmanager.com
      0 Not allowed!