Smoking Dell Poweredge

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14995

Ouch, hope this never happens to anyone

Ouch. I saw a PC do that once. It wasnt a beefy one like a Poweredge. I think it was about 10 years ago and was a 486 and the memory fried and burned the mobo.
    -- Matthew

It happened to me but it wasnt quite a Dell:

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~shemesh/2003_5.jpg

Dell has notified some customers of this. As a matter of fact, Dell contacted me yesterday about replacing a potentially faulty motherboard in a PE 1650. They say that the worst that could happen is, and I quote, "puff of smoke" although I'm sure that a fire could start depending on where the "puff" comes from (power supply, motherboard itself, etc).

We one of these PE 1650 do this. It definitely is a known issue and Dell automatically came out to replace our other 2 before it happened to them.

Also... we had a 4 hour replacement contract (maybe it was 24 hour at max), but it took Dell a good 5 days to get us a new server. They did not want to replace the motherboard but instead provide a whole new server. Dell at first said 2 - 3 weeks, but we do volume with Dell and called up the account manager (rather than the tech handling the replacement) and he was able to speed it up some. Definitely was not within 4 to 24 hours though.

There is a small percentage of servers that this can happen to. We have a quite a few 1650s and have not seen it happen yet.
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"

i hope ev1servers doesn't spoke at the new DC
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

ev1 does not use PE1650
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

ATI's in general have this problem. I wouldn't blame in on Dell (aside from the support contract issue)

I receive a call this week from Dell saying they will need to come replace the motherboard in our PE1650. Unfortunately they said although they are calling us now to let us know, they don't have any mobo's left in stock! We have to wait up to 90 days for them to call us.

I dont mind if my PE1650 goes in flames cuz we use it as mailserver and DNS... and we backup everything somewhere else...but it's the PE2650 and the other hardware we have above that I am worried about !!!

I can't wait for Dell to come change this.
    Pierre Grandmaison
    Offering 24/7 Toll Free Telephone Support
    Zenutech Web Hosting
    http://www.zenutech.com

You might mind when it goes up into flames and sets off the fire system =)

That is exactly why I said I don't mind the PE1650 going up in flames, but what I do mind is that I have several servers on top of the PE1650 which I do mind a lot.

I'm not sure what kind of fire system would activate...but Im sure it wouldnt fill the place with sand..I think it would send a message to the NOC for them to send techs in to double check...and then perhaps take appropriate actions.

Maybe my post wasn't clear ? Perhaps someone read too quickly
    Pierre Grandmaison
    Zenutech Web Hosting

uh oh, i have one 1650
    Nick Twaddell
    WebSpace Solutions - Custom E-Solutions
    Fast, Reliable, Affordable Web Hosting

I did not read too quickly. You make it sound like it doesn't matter if your server goes up in flames as you use it for mail server and dns. I really couldn't care less if you care, but if I was hosted there next to you and your server damaged my equipment I would be pissed. I understand you are waiting for Dell to fix it and want them to, I am just arguing with your point about you not caring if it catches fire.

As far as I can tell only the chip on the mobo burns out...not the entire server.

If the server dies and nothing else, I can have something else going in less than 30 mins to replace the damaged equipement.

I doubt the server literally goes up in flames
    Pierre Grandmaison
    Zenutech Web Hosting

Not really surprising.

1. Dell is junk. You should see the crap chips they throw into their
    motherboards. I still can't decide what's worse, LSI's "PERC" card, or broadcom's gigabit adapter.

2. Dell is junk, refer to bullet point #1.