Phone support... worth it?

Hi,

I'm looking into purchaseing a second line for telephone support, but before I do this I would like to know if it is even worth it or is it useless?

It depends on whether you and/or your staff would be available to answer the phone 24/7. If people know help is just a phone call away, they won't hesitate to call at 3 a.m.

You also have to consider the cost of having someone man that phone line constantly. This is why most smaller companies don't offer phone support - the costs are just too prohibitive.
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

Have you tried, Live Support.
    At least this way you can gauge the customer demand. If it is high then offer phone support, if it low and non demanding stick with the online live support.

Offering phone (likely toll free) support for your clients is a tough decision to make. On the one hand, it gives your clients a feeling of security knowing that the can actually speak with a human being when having issues with their account, plus it gives you the edge over companies without phone support. On the other hand, it becomes quite costly due to staff time involved, rates, and monthly fees. This forces you to either adjust your rates accordingly, or absorb the cost yourself and lower your profit margins.

I would say that nowadays it is very hard to find an edge in webhosting, and although many hosts do offer phone support, not everyone does. If you can support it, it will give you a much needed edge over a large part of your competition. Hope this helps

Phone support is a tremendous support tool. You can take a multiple email exchange that takes way too much time for a resolution and resolve the issue in minutes on the phone. It's not a replacement for a Ticket system, but it can certainly enhance your existing support methods and make them much more efficient.

We have it but aren't available 24/7. We have settings that redirect the client to our voice-mail when we don't want to take it.

7:00AM -> 11:00 PM => We take it
    Weekends => Voice-mail

That is the way we works and it works fine.
    Charles Beliveau | NymixWeb.com
    Proven success since 2001!

I'd go for telephone support, like Ultime said above, the system can redirect to voice mail and much more. Your clients can leave messages and you can get back to them whenever. To tell you the truth, I wouldn't trust a hosting company that didn't have their contact information on their website. Not necessarily a phone number, but at least an address.
    Michael MacKinnon

Yeah, If I set up phone support, do they happen to make phones with *really* loud ringers?

Might be able to put a phone near my bed so if someone calls it will wake me up, therefor i can offer 24/7 support on weekdays

-Carl

Talking

Might be able to put a phone near my bed so if someone calls it will wake me up, therefor i can offer 24/7 support on weekdays
    Haha I thought about that in the beginning of my company. I couldnt do it because of how out of it I am if someone wakes me up. I dont answer the phone when I am asleep no matter what time it is! Plus its kinda hard to disguise that fact that you just woke up. The customer would be able to tell. Just some thoughts. It is technically possible though!

90% of our support is via phone and we are really considering adding more lines and covering 24/7 phone support
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

I have emergency phone support that is only to be used in the event of total downtime where email isn't possible....they can then leave a message and we get back to them via an alternate email system that stays up during downtime.

i actually tried to do the whole gimme a call on my tech support phone thing for a while. but staff is so small that people we're calling and no one was picking up the phone. needless to say we werent ready for a support of that medium yet. we now just provide support through email, IRC, Aim, msn, icq and yahoo. and live support through the main website... so my recommedation is. if you think you are ready for that kind of committment. then go for it. its an exxcellent medium for support. but with everything thats good there comes a bad.

Originally posted by gghosting
    Yes and No

Yes-Better support feature for customers.

No-Will you be open 24/7? Do you have people there 24/7?
    yes 8hrs/shift/day would do the job

thats how most companies does it.
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Greetings:

While only a small subset of our clients call our toll free telephone support number, those that do, appreciate they can call.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile