Thread: KVM Over IP

KVM Over IP

Is any one using KVM over IP to remotely manage their servers?

I tried a demo on on one of the Minicom KVM over IP boxes. And it would seem to allow access to your server whether its on the BIOS screen, text screen or VGA desktop.

e.g. see the list here:
    http://www.42u.com/kvm-over-ip.htm

With the prices coming down it would seem to be a good way to let remote customers have more control over their servers with less reliance on onsite data center staff.
    RimuHosting.com - VPS Hosting and Dedicated Server Hosting since 2003
    Pingability.com - Peace of Mind Web Site Monitoring

Prices on multi-user KVMoverIP is still pretty high, the best value I've found is the Avocent range. Your not bound to hardware restricted users on them, you license DSView for x users and you can assign ports or server pools to specific accounts. The only downside is DSView only runs on windows, you can use the Web based tool on other OS's but it is not as responsive as the windows client.
    http://www.eBoundary.com - Let us help you expand your eBoundaries!
    Fast, Secure and reliable FreeBSD shared, reseller and dedicated hosting.
    FREE Peace of mind with every account!

Minicom seemed cheaper than advocent.

I'm not fussed so much about having multiple, simultaneous users. But it seems like one should be able to define which users can log in and access which servers. And there should be a way to 'boot off' a user who needs disconnecting. Do you know if the 'single user' versions offer this functionality?

The idea of being able to ship a server to the data center with a Linux install DVD and do the install from there; and being able to remotely diagnose server console errors is very alluring...

As far as i know, the only product with such features is the avocent range, purely because those features are implemented in the software administration tools.

The minicom and other KVM Over IP products allow up to 4 (maybe 8, I dont remember) users, I'm pretty sure you can assign a port to each user but I'd bet there is no functionality to boot them off (short of rebooting the kvm)

DigitalV6 has a product.
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"

The multi-user/multi-system capable KVM system is still very expensive. It's about 4-6K for a 16 system setup i believe. For most purpose, it's still too expensive.

Kaveman 16-Port KVM Over IP Switch Bundle $2300 (includes cabling) http://www.kvms.com/nav/item.asp?item=7946

Not a bad deal. $12/port/month would cover the cost of the hardware after a year.

So how does that work. It appears that it is not the true Kavement KVM over Ip solution? It is a Belkin KVM Switch with a product from Kaveman (DigitalV6) that makes it accessible online?

Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"

That's what I was thinking, although it was way too early this morning when I was posting that .

Thanks for the clarification.

Also, not trying to get away from the subject of KVM over IP, but I noticed that DigitalV6, the company that manufactures the Kaveman also sells a remote power manager (Power Control). Has anyone had experience with this product? Would I be better off going with an APC product for this? Or is this a decent product?

BIOS serial redirect is still far more cost effective than KVM over IP; though the KVM solution has it's use with Windows servers.

Minicom...soooo expensive!!! those one with 1x Port only!! soooo expensive! I probably need to run my mini web hosting for 2 years to get the money back for the 1x Port KVM over IP

If you are running Linux-based servers, you don・t really need KVM over IP solution. You could get yourself a serial console server (console server) or terminal concentrator. Hookup the console server to the Linux-based servers・ serial port with serial-console re-direct feature enabled, you could easily remote control the Linux-based without paying for expensive KVM over IP solution.

Originally posted by daylight150
    If you are running Linux-based servers, you don・t really need KVM over IP solution. You could get yourself a serial console server (console server) or terminal concentrator. Hookup the console server to the Linux-based servers・ serial port with serial-console re-direct feature enabled, you could easily remote control the Linux-based without paying for expensive KVM over IP solution.
    console server??

how? any URL to show me?

Originally posted by WCHost
    console server??

how? any URL to show me?
    i would be interested in learning how to do this
    thanks

Originally posted by daylight150
    That is fine for OS level work, but it's not an ideal solution if you need to mess with the bios, charge raid settings etc. I've worked with both solutions, I think KVMoIP is well worth the money.

Yep, and if Windows hosting is your thing...fat chance getting a console redirection to do much for you.

I haven't tried this with Server 2k3 yet, but you're supposed to be able to do some setup via a redirected console during an install. Anyone ever got that to work?

Well, u can cut down on the number of KVM switches you'll need... But It seems to me that these single port KVM product can control a whole array of budget-non-KVM-capable KVM switches as well now.