Windows 2000 Server Migration

I am thinking of migrating my domains from my old server to a new one. Anyone out here know what is the correct procedure? Really dun want to migrate domain by domain but cant figure out what else to do esp on Windows 2000 server. Different servers and chipsets

One way to go about this is to copy over the latest full backup from the old server to the new server and restore it. Next, if your client details and domains are maintained in a database (if you have been using a control panel, this would be there), write an ASP or VBScript to recreate IIS sites/FTP sites while reading the data from the database. All this time, the script would be replacing the old IP address with the new one's from the new server. Next you can copy the registry key for DNS and import the same on the new server, copy over the DNS zone files from the old one to the new one. Do a find and replace (third-party programs available) which would replace the old IP address from the .dns files with the new one and restart the DNS services. Update the NS1 & NS2 for your domains and clients to point to the new server's IP. Stop FTP services on the old server, do a diffrential backup, restore on new server.<p>

The above is just an overview of how you can proceed. I'm sure you will have to do more planning, especially with the timing and updates of NS1 and NS2 to prevent downtimes. Hope this helps you to get started.

Thanks I tried something similar but mine is just changing of hardware not IPs etc so much easier. One question I encounter a prob, the TCP/IP setting keeps getting DHCP even thought I keyd in the correct IPs etc ipconfig /all also shows what I key in is in affect, but the TCP/IP property is stil DHCP??

Is the DHCP service installed? If so, you can uninstall that. Also, check the TCP/IP properties to see if it lists "Obtain an IP address automatically".

Problem is DHCP disabled, and TCP IP set to the manual IP, but whenever I close it and open the TCP/IP again, the "Obtain an IP address automatically" and DHCP will show itself. Even though ipconfig says otherwise