Got an order, but haven't heard since...

I could well be being premature here, but thought I'd get some opinions!

A client purchased one of our packages at 19:23 GMT today, within five minutes I'd sent them a welcome email, asking them to specify a username and the domain they'd like to be hosted and thanking them for purchasing. I haven't heard anything back now and it's 01:05 GMT. Should I be worried?

Paypal accepted the credit card, their email address was a hotmail one (but I don't think that makes much difference I know I used a hotmail account to sign up for paypal)

Opinions please! Most clients get in contact straight away as they usually like their hosting to be ready ASAP!

Andrew
    NetHosted - UK based hosting solutions.

I would not worry too much. We get orders that are either false or people take ages to respond when we need to contact them etc...

Don't forget, people are not in front of their PC all the time checking their mail, chances are he/she has gone out or something and has made the order so its ready for tomorrow
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

I'm pleased to get some reassurance from other hosts, I guess that's my main reason for posting! It's just that all of our clients so far have responded so quickly to our welcome mail that I've got used to it - so having no response in six hours really sticks out!

Andrew

To be honest, a lot of people (depending on the time zone) submit orders for things just before they go to bed. That way when they wake up everything is just sitting there waiting for them to start fresh.

I would personally not be too worried, as I had an order that needed corrected yesterday and it took the 21 hours to reply back. (domain error) He is now setup, paid, and a happy new customer
    Nathan M.
    Stormwire.com
    A decade of professional hosting !

From the time I would not be too worried yet at this point, they have probably gone out as it's Friday night.

Only really sad people stay in on a Friday in front of a computer..... <looks around>

Originally posted by strongbow
    From the time I would not be too worried yet at this point, they have probably gone out as it's Friday night.

Only really sad people stay in on a Friday in front of a computer..... <looks around>

Andrew

Originally posted by strongbow

Ha Ha Ha ... Very funny !! And oh so true !!
    Nathan M.
    Stormwire.com
    A decade of professional hosting !

I had one person sign up, it ended up being a private school...they asked how they could pay without a credit card..and I said there were money order and check optiong. I didnt hear from them for about 3 weeks and tried contacting them multiple times. Then the check arrived and so I activated their accont. they never told me they sent a check.
    Dimensity Web Enterprises - ..::host.exception.dimension::..
    dimensity.net | dimensity.biz | dimensity.info | support[at]dimensity.net

We had a fellow enquire about a domain name and hosting .... answered all of his questions sent him to the proper ordering page .........he ordered the domain name ..........

we set up the account ...... waited a few days never heard from him about the hosting package ......... a week went by so I called his office with the number he left for contact ........ was told he was on vacation .... (seems it was the owner of this company that ordered)
    a week later I desided to touch base with them once more to see if they wanted the domain to point some where else ...... (figured they found a different place to host the site)

got in touch with the owner and he told us that they were building the site ....... thats been almost 2 weeks ago ..... guess I will give them a call on Monday and see how things are going?

gotta love those types of clients...........
    A new Beginning for WebMasters
    WebMasters Forum
    TotalWeb International Net Consulting
    Internet Consulting, Hosting and Business Solutions

Happened to me a few times that people signed up, entered their details but then didnt make payment.

Just happens sometimes
    John Diver
    CanaryHotspot.com - Canary Island forum and information
    InternationalChatForum.com - International Travel Chat Forum and information

Just got a reply now, account is set up - thanks for all the replies, like I said before, I was just going on past performance but everyone's different!

Andrew

one of our clients made reply after 5 days
    Pro-net-hosting.com - www.pro-net-hosting.com
    Pro hosting solutions since april 2003.

Originally posted by heavypredato
    one of our clients made reply after 5 days

Andrew

I have one person currently who is using my forum hosting service, made just for people who only need just that.

Anyway, I have two different sites on two different servers currently. At the time when I signed him up, since he was only going to require 10-15 MB, I just placed him on my other server, which houses my personal sites, not my comapny.

After I recieved my first payment from him after signing up (which took almost two days), all contact between us shut down. A week after his start date, I sent an e-mail to him asking whether or not he was happy with his site. It's been two weeks, no response.

Recently, his server supprisingly got hacked (yes, it was updated on security!) and all data was wiped. I personally had backups on my system of all sites on there, his included, so I figured he wouldn't be too terribly mad if it was a two day roll-back.

When I sent him the e-mail two days ago telling him what happened and asking how I was to proceed (I gave him a few server options), I still havn't recieved a response...

Obviously he is checking his e-mail, which sometimes ticks me off.
    Adam Reyher
    PylonHosting.com - We deliver quality hosting

I've found in the past that a lot of users will ignore a welcome e-mail for a while. You either get the type of person that has to have their hosting now, or the person that wants to sign up to have it when they need it. Those people generally tend to take their time responding to hosting related e-mails. I wouldn't worry about a delayed response, but I'd start contacting the person if it ever took over two weeks to receive a response.
    Michael MacKinnon

Originally posted by John D
    Happened to me a few times that people signed up, entered their details but then didnt make payment.

Just happens sometimes
    The amount of times i have done that for one thing or another!

Must be fustrating for the company...

Unfortunatly we dont keep a tag on customers from when they start the order process till the end.

I had a guy 79.00 for hosting about 6 months ago, and he still has not contacted us back. At the time I'm sure we must of sent emails (from various email accounts) for a couple of weeks straight.

We do a complete "audit" in which we match billed accounts with actual accounts on the servers every 3 months, to make sure all domains match an account.

I remember 3 months ago, finding this again, and sending an email. Now again we've come across it and sent another email.

The emails don't bounce, but we never get a response.

Give him/her a few more days. You can send a chargeback via paypal if they don't

I had a sign up a couple of weeks ago for a $5.95 account - and I always send the customer an email to ask them to confirm their order. Didn't hear anything, sent another mail, then another and still no reply.

After 2 weeks without reply I just cancelled the recurring payment.

I have had problems with people not contacting me at all.

Had one recently that paid via CC using 2checkout
    The account was a shared account around $7/month
    They made payment for the first month and I contacted them and setup their account.
    No reply for a few weeks and I sent an email a few times, even tried to phone the number given which I dont normally do (Since im in ireland and most people are in the US)
    Then another week later or so I got a chargeback which costs $25 each time plus their payment....

2co didnt help and still couldnt contact the person that setup the account

Just something else that can happen...
    John Diver

Then another week later or so I got a chargeback which costs $25 each time plus their payment....

2co didnt help and still couldnt contact the person that setup the account
    I got one of those this morning. Not nice.

I had a signup last night from Australia. Signed up but did not pay. I put off the setup of the site itself and gave the "client" 24 hours to pay up. He didn't so I pooched his signup.

Just a FYI....the domain the guy used was phuckhanhle.net. A domain name like that could almost tell you a lot about the person couldn't it?
    Glen Millar
    Tyger Hosting Services
    http://www.tygerhosting.com
    Affordable Direct Admin Linux Hosting Since 2003

I still can't explain this one...I had funds "magically" appear in our PayPal account. A customer signed up for hosting through a PayPal recurring transaction. However, we stopped using that particular hosting "package name" a long time ago.

To this day, I still can't figure out how the customer signed up with an old Paypal link that has been off of our site for over a year.

That sure was a wild one...

Rick

Originally posted by nate
    To be honest, a lot of people (depending on the time zone) submit orders for things just before they go to bed. That way when they wake up everything is just sitting there waiting for them to start fresh.

google cache?! the way back machine?!! you got me beat

Andrew

Originally posted by NetHosted
    google cache?! the way back machine?!! you got me beat

Andrew
    Hey I wonder if we can use the way back machine to buy products at last years prices hahaha-

Correct me if I am wrong, but this was the case about 10 months ago now. Paypal will accept a payment request from any url - I read somewhere that it was a security risk because it does not have an "allowed URL" you can save the websites payment form to your local machine - open it in Notepad, change the amount to something like 1.00 and then save the HTML file.

Open it locally and click the Pay Button - you then get transferred to Paypal and the amount is set to 1.00

Obviously when people get the order they will know it was bogus and not fulfil it but what about websites where you download your products?

I "tested" it a while back and it worked although I did not go all the way through the process cause that would be theft lol - I just wanted to see if it would work.

Thats one of the reasons why I dont use paypal - Does anyone know if this has changed?

From what ReadyRick has said it sounds like this is still possible?

You've got the option to encrypt everything now (your email and amount) I'm sure someone has cracked it but it's going to stop the amatuer thief!

Andrew

I've had a few "ghost" customers. It's quite common with my domian registrations. They order a domain. Then never use it. It just sits parked for a year and they don't renew it. I have only one ghost hosting customer. Ordered via paypal, emailed asking how long it would take to set up. I sent my standard Welcome email with their login/setup details and never heard form them again. When they paid the second month I sent another email plus a copy of the welcome email asking if they needed any assistance. Still nothing. The third months payment is due at the end of this week.

I can only assume the prevelance of these ghosts is that people start building a web site, order the domain name and the hosting, then find that they don't have time or skill to finish the design. So, like the unfinished DIY project (you know the shelf that are still in the box in the spare room that you bought 2 years ago for the kitchen but never got round to), they just languish. Each month they fully intend to finnish the job and ftp stuff up but in reallity they never get there.

Just happens sometimes
    Happens alot... Stupid Vietnamese fraudsters.

They just sign up using the order form as usual then once they see 2Checkout they just give up.

They also made the mistake of linking to the main site through one of their "hacking" forums.

Asian and Russian Scammers

Scammers sometimes sign up just to see if the process is automated. I had one from Vietnam using the credit card of someone in the US.

They hope the system is fully automated and that they get access to an account for a few days before you figure it out. If you just charge the card and don't use AVS or anything, they can have access until the person gets the bill. That's when you get the chargeback.

It's also a great way to see if the card has been reported stolen without going into a store. They can just go to some Internet Cafe and try to use it. In the USA/Canada they usually try it in one of those credit card phones first before walking into a store that has cameras. The credit card companies have caight onto this. You may find that if you have never used your card before on a payphone, doing so may get you a phone call from Visa security, just to make sure you are the one who just did it. This is especially true if you try the phone and then charge $1500 at Best Buy an hour later. It makes those little flags go up in the security office.

I would say it's always worth a phone call to a new client. If the phone call costs you 25 cents and saves you a $25 chargeback then that's great. The customers usually really appreciate the call too. Calls anywhere in North America cost me 3 cents a minute. If I spend 10 minutes on the phone with the guy and he is a customer at $15 a month for 2 years then it's time well spent.

It seemed like a huge scam to me. Just imagine sitting at your desk some day and receiving a email from PayPal saying that someone has paid you.

My first reaction was, "Sweet!" But the more I looked into it, there was no reason for that person to pay me.

Finally, I realized it was someone who followed a subscription link from when our business first got started. My accountant would have flipped if I didn't follow thorugh. Can you imagine accepting payment for do particular reason?

Anyone wanna send me money? I'm a pro now at accepting money for no particular reason.

BTW...the customer signed up and has yet to say a word to any of our staff. I guess another satisifed customer..

Rick

Originally posted by delirium
    Hey I wonder if we can use the way back machine to buy products at last years prices hahaha-

Just had a woman purchase an $89.00/year plan from me. but she supplied me with the domain name but no extension. So I sent her an email this morning to her yahoo account. Still havent heard back.

to her yahoo account
    I'm always very sus of yahoo or hotmail email accounts for orders.

So I sent her an email this morning to her yahoo account. Still havent heard back.
    Not everyone sits at their computer all day
    Some people only check their email once a day at the most
    John Diver

Not everyone sits at their computer all day
    Some people only check their email once a day at the most
    Quite true, before I got into the hosting buisness, I checked mine a max of once every 2-3 days...

Now I find myself checking it every 30mins

Originally posted by HostTheNet
    Quite true, before I got into the hosting buisness, I checked mine a max of once every 2-3 days...

Now I find myself checking it every 30mins
    My email client checks every 5 mins for me I am sure I am addicted lol

Hehe yeah tell me about it, I have outlook express set to check every minute, get an email every few minutes too
    Haha I remember I used to check it everyday when I first got the internet (quite a while ago ) then I only checked once every few weeks for around a year because I didnt get many emails.

Thats changed a lot now though

Some people just dont have time to check thier email often, or might even just forget so just give them a bit of time
    John Diver

This order i got is over 48 hours old and was purchased for a full year using a yahoo email account. She entered her domain name in wrong so I can't set it up and now I am getting a bit suspecious.

We tend to get a fair number of ghost signups as well, although from the checks we do usually everything matches up, just never any reply from the client (especially if it was a cheque/money order payment). Then every once in a while we get a cheque in the mail for payment and have to go leafing through the old orders as 95% of people don't follow the instruction 'please enclose a copy of this invoice with your payment'.

One thing I am also going to note, not sure if anyone else does this, or what their opinions are, but if you have an unresponsive client, setting a read-reciept can always at least partially cure your curiosity if they actually bothered to read the messages.
    AC Host Canada Affordable Canadian Web Hosting Solutions
    Shared Hosting | Email Hosting | DNS Hosting | Custom Plans Available

Originally posted by achost_ca
    We tend to get a fair number of ghost signups as well, although from the checks we do usually everything matches up, just never any reply from the client (especially if it was a cheque/money order payment). Then every once in a while we get a cheque in the mail for payment and have to go leafing through the old orders as 95% of people don't follow the instruction 'please enclose a copy of this invoice with your payment'.

One thing I am also going to note, not sure if anyone else does this, or what their opinions are, but if you have an unresponsive client, setting a read-reciept can always at least partially cure your curiosity if they actually bothered to read the messages.
    I just sent 2 emails to my ghost signup with a read reciept and haven't heard anything back.