Hybrid View

1and1 Setup time?

After ordering a dedicated server from 1and1.com, what is the time to wait for your server to be ready? Is it instant like EV1 or not?

The search option of this board can sometimes (sporadically) be helpful indeed (click :-)

It took about 3-4 hours after I ordered it. The make an automated call to the phone number you listed to verify it then they setup the server.

Are you on a root or managed account? They wrote 50x ftp accounts on the server features page. Does that means we can only open 50 accounts on our server?

Click. For the root server there is no limit obviously, besides if you want to use Plesk (100 domains license).

Thanks. Actually I have seen that faq page.

But i don't know what they mean by "50x ftp access" on http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/Ser...b?__frame=_top

Easy enough... you can set up up to 50 FTP accounts with a 1&1 managed server.

Meaning I can only host up to 50 websites on the managed server? Since each website need a FTP account at least.

No. You can obviously use one FTP account to manage more than one domain. Each domain can be assigned to a sub directory of your choice via the control panel, let's say you set domain1.com and domain2.com to the directories /blah/domain1.com and /blah/domain2.com. Set up an FTP account for /blah and there you go. That's only necessary if you want to resell of course. Otherwhise one FTP account will suffice for managing an arbitrary number of domains. Apart from that you'll also have SSH access (one account).