XML with Apache on Linux

I'm trying to get my installation of Apache (on Linux) to be able to handle XML. Basically, what package(s) do I need, and what is the best way to configure it/them so that Apache will recognize it/them and handle XML documents?

I'm not very advanced with Linux yet, so the more "dumbed down" you can make things, the better.

Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated.

Also, if anyone could offer suggestions as to why Apache is acting a bit....odd as of today, that would be greatly appreciated as well.

Last night, I compiled in Apache 2.0.49. Now, when I try to access my website, it wants to download a file instead of serving the index file. If I were to access my site with the address http: // (ignore the space, I just put it there so that I can make this post as I "can't post links to other sites until I have 5 posts"), it wants to send me a file named 1.2.3[1] and the same pattern applies for any address (x.x.x[1]).

I checked my extendedstatus, and it's still running Apache 2.0.47, and not .49. I shut Apache down while I was compiling in .49, then when I was done with ./configure, make, make install'ing .49, I started Apache back up and just went to bed. Went to check on my site when I woke up, and that's what I found.

OK, looks like I've got the answer to my question about XML answered (need to recompile PHP with some different flags, which is fine, I needed to update PHP anyways...).

If anyone could offer some suggestions as to why Apache is downloading a file instead of serving the index file that'd be WONDERFUL.