Lousy Host _ Please Help!!!

Before I started reselling, I built a complex osc site (colishcreations) and had it hosted by the guy that helped me with the osc.

The site was supposed to be hosted until September 2005. He has taken my client's site down, with no notice. When my client emailed him to find out what was going on this is what he said:

Since you guys are hosting with a third party hoster that we set you up with, it all relies on them. It seems they have had server failure and the site on their servers maybe lost. Hopefully you have a back up of the site and the best thing to do would be to move to another host.
    This is inexcusable since the contract that he sent me clearly states that he will host the site for one year. I don't really care about him hosting the site. I will host it myself. I have a backup copy of the site, but it isn't completely currenty. Furthermore, installing the backup copy will take some work. On the other hand my host, bluewho, can easily move it for me if I can give them access to the host's server. Since this guy is being such a jerk, I'm not sure how to gain access to the servers. Does anyone have any ideas?

Once again, the site is colishcreations - since this is my first post the system will not let me post the url, but I think that you can figure it out - colishcreations
    Last edited by yoitsme; 03-26-2004 at 04:08 PM.

erm, welcome

people are going to need just a little more information than that, what's the problem exactly?
    Hyperconfused (™)

Uhm which one?
    Gary Jones

BlueFur.com - Canada Web Hosting

Would be glad to help if I knew what I was guuna help ya with?

A new Beginning for WebMasters
    WebMasters Forum
    TotalWeb International Net Consulting
    Internet Consulting, Hosting and Business Solutions

haha, thanks for making us look crazy but editing your post from it's previous one-word of just "please"

I'm not sure what you're looking to get out of this, you are trying to work out how you can get access to the hosts server to move your site, but you've also said the host has told you the site was lost?

If he's telling you there's no site there, what are you hoping to get access to?
    Hyperconfused (™)

Are you looking for a new host, or are you just warning people of an old one?

Re: Lousy Host _ Please Help!!!

Originally posted by yoitsme
    Before I started reselling, I built a complex osc site (colishcreations) and had it hosted by the guy that helped me with the osc.

The site was supposed to be hosted until September 2005. He has taken my client's site down, with no notice. When my client emailed him to find out what was going on this is what he said:

This is inexcusable since the contract that he sent me clearly states that he will host the site for one year. I don't really care about him hosting the site. I will host it myself. I have a backup copy of the site, but it isn't completely currenty. Furthermore, installing the backup copy will take some work. On the other hand my host, bluewho, can easily move it for me if I can give them access to the host's server. Since this guy is being such a jerk, I'm not sure how to gain access to the servers. Does anyone have any ideas?

Once again, the site is colishcreations - since this is my first post the system will not let me post the url, but I think that you can figure it out - colishcreations
    your site was hosted by us, http://www.xione.net

please read the notice on our index page. unfortunately we have been targeted over the past couple of months, constant DOS attacks meaning our boxes kept on needing to be pulled. Alarm bells kept ringing about certain hacking attempts.

On saturday two of our servers were hacked, our main client server and our offsite backup server. The hackers removed the contents of both /home directories

Our servers were secure and were maintained by experienced technicians. This is our first break in for over 18 months of being in operation. But unfortunately the hackers have destroyed my company.

Regards

Leigh

This is not directed at Leigh or XioneNet Hosting... All this does is prove once again why the bloody heck people need to have their OWN backups and to not rely on a host for backups, even if the host DOES have a backup solution.

I'm actually going to have my TOS rewritten to hammer that point home...

To Leigh, you have my sympathies. My main server was compromised three times in 5 days and used to launch an outbound attack. Luckily MOST of my customer's sites were saved due to backups that I was doing. I hope this won't deter you from moving forward. Good luck!
    Doug Hazard - "retired" Web Hosting Master
    * Full Stack (Web/WP) Dev for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond (160+ sites)
    * Sports Photographer, Media Personality and CFB Historian
    * Tech Admin for several Sports Networks/Sites

Originally posted by TRN Douglas
    I'm actually going to have my TOS rewritten to hammer that point home...

from my site...

Most Important Rule Number One
    Always have a recent backup copy of your website on your computer or on disk! We do regular back ups of client sites but in no way guarantee that it will be available in the event of a severe server crisis! We tell you this because recently, we have seen several web hosting companies lose a lot of client sites and those clients did not have back ups, although it states in nearly every hosting companys terms to have a back up copy! You can do a full backup in your cpanel, under backups.

then down the page a bit, this time in red it says....

Back Ups (again)
    Clients are expected to keep copies of their website and files on their own computers/hard drives/disk. There will be a minimum fee of $100.00 (USD) for file recovery if you do not have LOCAL backup copies, that is, a copy of your website in a location other than on our servers. We can not guarantee that we will be able to retrieve your files.

(the $$$ is supposed to be an incentive for them to just do it)
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

I have a backup copy. But it takes alot of work to have to reinstall the backup, configure dbases, cgi forms, and all that.

On the other hand, if I could have access to the hosts servers I would be able to ask my host, bluewho (who is awesome) to do a host to host transfer.

Not to mention that it wasn't even my responsibility to have the backup. It was my client's reponsibility. I'm simply trying to help them out.

If you use CPanel and you took a cpanel backup than you don't need to manually configure so many things
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com