Is there is problem to use root account ?

Hi Guys

i have dedicated server with WHM .. i use my root to add acounts .. is there is any problem to use it ??

i mean security side ?

if yes how i can make account with all full access of root and with same packages as root added before ?

Nadder

Heh, you have no choice but to use root. There's always a risk when using root. There's teh 0.1% chance there's a keylogger on your comp, and someone can get your root password to DDOS from the box. But, its the same for passing any passwords around i guess.

Unless, of course, you setup a reseller account with root, that has 'unlimited' everything, and you just make accounts via that.

~Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

You are fine to use root. Just make sure to rotate your password every so often and make it hard to guess.

sudo is your daddy. Any box I admin, root is not allowed to login interactively via SSH. A standard user is created then when necessary, sudo is used to obtain root priveleges. This way you're not transmitting any root password information over the wire. Yes, ssh is encrypted but its not worth the risk in any case.

I have static IP .. can i make it not accept any IP's eccept my subment ??

Just use secure WHM (SSL), you'll be fine - https://server:2087/

- Matt

secure WHM (SSL),
    its not work on my server .. how i make it work ??

port 2087 is not work

Yes secure it better

it's not really a problem, but using setting up sudo/sudoers does help to make it all the more secure if you are using SSH.

However as far as WHM is concerned, you certainly can create a reseller account and add all the privileges that the root account has. That can help you from having to use the root account to login to WHM. (But you can actually restrict it and only allow some of the most commonly used functions to limit liability if that login is compromised.)
    Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts!
    http://www.sprintserve.net
    Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting |
    Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management |