Thread: Donnie Darko

Donnie Darko

Can someone please explain donnie darko to me. It's a really cool movie.
    CEO Pixabit, Inc.

I've been itching to see it, but my local movie store lost it.

If you're into crazy-technical-hardcore, check out the band 'Ed Gein,' named after the serial killer. They have a Donnie Darko quote in every song.

Watch it again , i heard it helps
    I haven't seen it yet but friend told me they got if after the second view

I -JUST- rented this movie, and I can't wait to watch it. I heard it got great reviews.

A brilliant movie, I cant fully remember the plot. Anyone in the UK will know that the theme tune was Number 1 in chart over christmas
    MattF - Since the start..

It's all a dream.

Originally posted by subigo
    It's all a dream.
    Uh... no.

To really follow what happens you should go to the website, donniedarko.com. You pretty much have to see the film first, because you have to answer questions before you can get to all of the important content.

Most importantly, read the excerpts from "The Philosophy of Time Travel," the book that's central to the film. Once you understand which characters are The Living Receivers, The Manipulated Living, and The Manipulated Dead as well as understand what The Tangent Universe and an Artifact are, the events depicted make a lot more sense.

[spoilers]

[don't read if you don't want clues]

[warning]

Basically, the jet engine is an Artifact that signals the creation of a tangent universe. A tangent universe is unstable, and will collapse within a few weeks. This one is fated to collapse on October 31... the "end of the world" that Frank tells Donnie about.

Frank represents the Manipulated Dead. He manipulates Donnie, who is the Living Receiver, by setting an Ensurance Trap which leaves Donnie with no choice but to use his Fourth Dimensional Power to send the Artifact back in time into the Primary Universe before the Tangent Universe collapses.

Most of the events in the storyline are parts of the Ensurance Trap, culminating with Donnie killing Frank and also importantly including the fire Donnie sets on orders from Frank, which results in his mother being out of town with the dance team -- so that Donnie and his sister can have the party that sets up the ending.
    Last edited by JayC; 03-26-2004 at 05:07 PM.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

I forgot to mention -- and can't edit any more -- that the text of The Philosophy of Time Travel is also on the dvd as one of the extra features, and can easily be found on the web. But the donniedarko site is still worth a look if you like the film.

The site is worth visiting just for the music. The DD soundtrack is incredible.
    <!-- boo! -->

Excellent movie, one of my favorites! ScottD, agreed on the soundtrack.

WARNING!! SPOILER BELOW!!!!

JayC, my friends and I talked about this movie for a while. That's one way to look at it but one can also view the entire film (after the jet engine drops the first time) as Donnie is dead at that point. The rest of it is God's intervention to help Donnie make sense of life (so he can love, die happy etc.) So basically, the way I see it is most of the movie is his journey between death and the actual afterlife.

Great movies, part of my DVD collection.

Watch the directors commentary, that helps alot.

There is also a website for that movie too.
    Adnan.
    FusionRays.com
    Shared and Reseller Plans

Originally posted by recipher
    That's one way to look at it but one can also view the entire film (after the jet engine drops the first time) as Donnie is dead at that point. The rest of it is God's intervention to help Donnie make sense of life (so he can love, die happy etc.) So basically, the way I see it is most of the movie is his journey between death and the actual afterlife.
    Of course you can view any creative work in any number of ways. But an interpretation that leaves out time travel and the material in the "book" that was created as an adjunct to the film is clearly not the one that the filmmaker had in mind.

But that's what makes art interesting -- you don't even have to see it in the same way that the artist did.
    Originally posted by fusionrays
    There is also a website for that movie too.
    Uh... wish I'd mentioned that!

Thanks guys
    CEO Pixabit, Inc.

The site is great and all... but you guys are missing the big picture. I have an article right in front of me where Richard Kelly clearly suggests that in the end, it was a dream.

Not the same article... but:

""That half-conscious state when dreams feel completely real is fascinating to me. At the end of the film, you ask: is it a dream or isn't it? Is this a dream that we're living now? Those questions are really interesting because the unconscious hasn't really been explored yet. People think there's not much more to discover, but there is - there's this fourth dimension, or whatever it is.""

Great GREAT movie - but never was popular when it was out in theaters. Then again, it had horrible previews for it. "Darker, darker, darko"

And yeah, the site is great - pretty trippy