Moving:reseller-> Own server

Hi i have been running a reseller account for 1 1/2 years and have about 48 customers.

I was planning to move to a self-owned-server and was woundering if there was any good tutorials how to set it up.

Main concept:
    Linux,php,imap,pop3,ftp,mysql and wap,easy used admin controller.

Any1 who could help me?

I am a experinced linux user since 4 years back, but i dont know how to make a hosting server from a server.......

Plaese help

I dont mean to burst your bubble....

But moving to your own self administrated server would be a serious mistake at this point from the sounds of it.

I spent a year or more hosting domains under red hat, and dealing with apache, sendmail, and all the rest of the server apps not to mention dealing with the OS itself (backups, upgrades, etc) is something you want to know BEFORE you try charging people money for it.

Any half decent book on linux administration will describe some of the ins and outs of sendmail, apache, etc....

Do some reading before risking all your customers.

and play with a test box First.

Are you going to use a control panel? Are you going to use the same one that your reseller account uses?

That would be the safest route to go, otherwise, you will no longer be providing your customers with a control panel, and you will have to all of a sudden bear the burden of total system administration (adding domains/ftp accounts via scripts/config files by hand)

I will provide the excat same control panel(cpanel) for the users and the server will be excatly the same configured and all domains transfered.

I have knowlegde how to make a safe linux system but not how to combine it all with cpanel.

That is my major problem, because i have never installed cpanel or whm by myself.

Of course im going to use the new server as a testbox for a couple of months, but i feel safer to know that i got it all under 100% of my own supervision.
    I was planning to make the system with tape backups and dvd twice a day, backsaved for 1 months ( i got a good deal on tapes )
    Last edited by sinistra; 03-26-2004 at 04:36 PM.

Originally posted by greatbeast

But moving to your own self administrated server would be a serious mistake at this point from the sounds of it.

I spent a year or more hosting domains under red hat, and dealing with apache, sendmail, and all the rest of the server apps not to mention dealing with the OS itself (backups, upgrades, etc) is something you want to know BEFORE you try charging people money for it.

Any half decent book on linux administration will describe some of the ins and outs of sendmail, apache, etc....

I disagree, reselling for over a year and a half, he's surely picked up some tricks of the trade. He'll be fine, especially if hes got CPanel/whm doing everything for him, and the datacenter support. Go for it.
    josh

but how should i set the server up is the big question i have.

how do i get the intrigation to cpanel and so on

Your best bet is to lease a server at a data center that provides an "out of the box" solution. That is, you'll receive the server with the OS installed with Cpanel/WHM. Then you just need to configure WHM how you like, hire someone to secure your server and then transfer your accounts across.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Originally posted by NexDog
    Your best bet is to lease a server at a data center that provides an "out of the box" solution. That is, you'll receive the server with the OS installed with Cpanel/WHM. Then you just need to configure WHM how you like, hire someone to secure your server and then transfer your accounts across.
    This is exactly what i have done, Yesterday i took the plunge to transfer my 60 accounts to my own dedicated server at managed.com

I ordered the server, got the details hired a guy to do security checks and install a few bits for me. And im sorted. hopefully!

I dont think its as hard as you think!, if you do get problems you can allways post on these forums, and hire someone!

Aslong as you have a good enough budget if things go pearshape for someone to sort out you will be fine

I brought a solution where WHM / Cpanel was allready setup imo thats the way to go. There are scripts within cpanel that will update your apache and stuff for you.

I dont know too much but i do know about easy apache installing modules etc. Not much else though!

What crocket said is exactly what I was getting at
    josh

Originally posted by greatbeast

I agree with this 100%. I started out three years ago, colocating, and it went fine. Eventually, I got to the point where I decided to bring in my own lines, build my own servers, and host internally. Everything went great, but it was just a huge hassel, and the profit margin was smaller than I had hoped, when I figured into account my time, and hardware deppreciation, as well as software costs. For the past few months, I've been buying my bandwidth elsewhere, and so far, I'm a lot less stressed, etc.
    http://www.hotwireweb.com
    http://www.proformpc.com

maybe you should get a managed server?

13. If i were you,

I'd install cPanel on you're Server!

Theres WHM aswell, which means: Webhost Managment.

*ww.cpanel.net

Hope it helps

David

Originally posted by HostProSpace
    If i were you,

I'd install cPanel on you're Server!

Theres WHM aswell, which means: Webhost Managment.

*ww.cpanel.net

Hope it helps

David
    I think he already realizes that to offer cPanel you actually need to install it

I had gone through this a while back, I wanted to move because the reseller was located in Germany and account support was terrible. TO be honest I went into the whole managing a server thing blindfolded as I knew the basics, but didnt go through the main things.

I strongly suggest you shop around, remember that you get what you pay for, and make sure that you make yourself familiar with SSH.

Look at http://angelnetworkz.net/hosting/ind...d=16&Itemid=35 for help with managing your server. They have good prices and I haven't heard anything negative about them.

It should allow you to get a feel for how things are done under some supervision.

Originally posted by NexDog
    I quite agree, that is your best bet...

My 2 cents

This is what I recommend:

Go for it and get a dedicated server. I did the same as you when I had about 80 clients - but if I had the money I would have got a dedicated server much sooner.

One important thing I've learned to date, make sure you have this base covered:

Server security - as you get more popular, known in the marketplace, you'll attract the bad clients more too, hackers and the like. You will seriously regret overlooking this later on if you don't properly and fully look into this now, because its best to do it all right at the start. Try looking at:
    http://forum.ev1servers.net/showthre...threadid=30333

Plus find out what "root kits" are if you don't already know and how hackers get into your server and how to find all your log files etc.

I'd say more but I'm short on time.