Thread: shared or vds

shared or vds

i was running a nuke site with xforum. i got about 70 user online one time, 2000visitor and 100k pageview/day until my shared acc suspended because excessive system resource usage, that my host told me. is there any resource issue for shared hosting if google spider my site (i have 6000 php mysql driven pages)

my problem is should i stay with shared or i must switch to vds? i use 30gb bw each month
    For VDS, i found great comment for vpscolo and servint here. for shared i found hostgator, p4host and hostrocket. anyone has suggestion? my budget is about 20$-30$.

Prob someone will sponsor pr5 site? with link on all page for exchange

Thanks

Good luck.

Prob someone will sponsor pr5 site?
    You have a busy site that needs serious resources. It must be webmaster related or something, so that the audience will actually be interested to click on a hosting banner...

I would move to VPS if I was you, you dont want another shared host suspending your site again soon, or even when it grows more.
    You will lose members and people wont be happy that it happened twice.
    A VPS does cost more though but if your site if going to be growing, it will need more resources and shared hosts will stop taking you if you are using too much.
    If you put ads on the site that should cover your hosting costs
    Even text links if its pr5 and you have so many pages/visitors

Good luck whatever you do
    John
    John Diver
    CanaryHotspot.com - Canary Island forum and information
    InternationalChatForum.com - International Travel Chat Forum and information

A reseller account with 40-50 GB traffic allowance might be another option if you do not want to go VDS all the way.
    Web Hosting Resource Kit - Web Hosting Reviews & Hosting Tutorials

But it might still be using too many resources for the site if he was kicked off a shared server for using too many resources.
    If you let the host know first if you are going with a reseller account it should be ok.
    Just make sure they wont kick you off in a month or two and they have the resources to cope with your site
    John Diver

John makes a good point. If you don't have the money to pay for hosting try finance it by selling ad space. Google Adsense can be a good option too.

I would look at something like moving to a more efficient Nuke program like cpgnuke, I ported over to iti, it is about 4-6 faster than nukephp ( if you are using postnuke I do not know what to tell you, since I do not use it), you can also cut down on some unused queries on nuke and phpbb forum ( I am assuming that is what you are using since it is ported for nuke & postnuke)

You might also want to try something like jpcache, cache your home page for like 5-10-15 minutes, or other pages where the content does not change every minute of so depending on what you have going on, if you go VPS you can also use a php accelerator like mmcache to drop you load down.

Maybe even prune out old stories and or old postson the forum. On PHPbb you limit the number of sessions google can take up

I would also make sure you are using caching on your queries also, in the my.conf (but you will not be able to know in shared hosting).

You really need to jump into the $40-$50 ish price range for VPS.

I highly recommend VPSColo, they are great. I am with them currently, I like to be able to add memory or cpu resources to my plan.

I would go for a VPS solution.
    P4HOST.COM -- Specialize in quality Web Hosting solutions.
    Affordable -- Prices are very comparative
    Reliable -- Very low load average guaranteed. 60 day money back. Fast Support --Support Forum -- Providing hosting since 2003

actually i kicked from reseller host.

which one is better for my host? vpscolo or servinf? (for 50$ budget)

thanks in advance
    Last edited by dindon; 03-27-2004 at 12:40 AM.

vpscolo is very good.
    Great support, stable servers and good networks (Choice available)
    I would say vpscolo would be great for you
    John Diver

Adsense and a VDS sounds like a good idea. Cover your costs with adsense and VDS will prevent you from using too many resources

best of luck!
    Kevin Ohashi - Founder of ReviewSignal.com - Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Check out our WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks (Updated: Sep 2016), the most comprehensive look at WP performance

how about dedicatednow or linode? any good?

i have ordered from vpscolo, take 7 hours to get respond from rus and he refuse to accept indonesian's order because too many fraud from here.

any vps suggestion???
    Last edited by dindon; 03-28-2004 at 10:13 AM.

ixue: Try ServInt, rimuhosting.com, or Dinix (not sure if they're accepting orders).
    Have you Floble'd today?

Get VPS. Nuke is very resource hungry script and all shared hosts will eventually ask you to move your site somewhere else because you'll be taking all server resources.

finally, i got vps from vpscolo. very helpfull support from them.

Great
    Im sure you will be happy with them
    Good luck!
    John
    John Diver