Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Oohh - this is very cool. Got the laptop doing the dual monitor thing with the old desktops monitor, and the franken-puter that I put together is safely in a closet without a head. Had to swap through a buncha parts to get a 'working' computer, as it kept freezing otherwise. I unfortunately had to drop the old mobo/cpu, so PVR is outta reach with this setup. It's ok, I'll just add raid to the storage server and get a separate computer for the muscle work of encoding the video for the entertainment center.

Gonna download suse next, and mandrake too on your reccomendations. After much reading, I'm pretty hopeful that I can get one of these distros working with the new laptops devices for dual booting goodness.

Centrino drivers just came out, though it's an early release I figure I'll give it a go:
    http://ipw2100.sourceforge.net/

fedora is nice for personal systems - good multimedia support. fedora.redhat.com

Running Fedora 1.91 right now with kernel 2.6.4.

I run Debian Woody on an IBM Thinkpad T30 and also on my machine at work, and must say im happy with it.

I have also tried slackware and redhat, but overall debian wins for my desktop machines. (slack wins on my servers).

Debian is capable of running samba (like all linux distro's), but comes into its own for updatibility.

Give it another go, dont be put off by one small bad experience.

Jason

My choice is RedHat 9.0
    BannersMall.com - Banner Design
    Custom Twitter Backgrounds and Facebook Fan Pages - CraftSocialMedia.com

My preference is for Suse Pro 8.2 or 9.1(soon to be released with 2.6 kernel), I have tried "all" the others adn Suse far surpasses them, ON THE DESKTOP.

For servers and small rigs, on linux, I go debian, and bsd I go fbsd 4.9, maybe 5.x series here soon.

I have to agree with whoever mention OS X - even though it won't run on your Celeron, it is the perfect OS to do what you are looking for, and if you get the opportuniy on other hardware, take it. Best alternative in this case will be RedHat 9.0 - also will be the easiest of the options mentioned here to find resources and forum support for.
    Christian Dawson Exectuive Director and Co-Founder, i2Coalition
    The i2Coalition is comprised of small to medium cloud providers, data centers, registrars, registries and other foundational Internet enterprises. Join today!
    Follow us on Twitter @i2coalition or checkout our forum!

Suse 9.0....can't wait to get my computer outta storage and boot it up again. I've used RedHat/SuSe/FreeBSD and I love SuSe for desktop.

I use redhat 9 on all my servers, home and client. I find its very stable and fairly easy to operate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12