Time to leave redhat 7.2 :( Which Distro

OK, So over the last weeks, i've come to realize that managing updates over a dozen redhat 7.2 linux boxes is becoming very time consuming - I've considered creating a centralized system to issue updates to our servers, but between different hardware, software versions and having to manually read security lists (which I dont mind) and then issue the updates it's a job I'd rather not have to deal with for now.

So my question is this:
    We run our own control panel SimpleCP, which I wrote. Its based on redhat 7.X. I'm very good with redhat 7.X and I'd like a distro which is server ready and has pretty much the same environment as RedHat 7.X - the little changes I can learn quickly.

Another big thing would be the ease of changing to the new OS with as little downtime as possible.

I've considered Fedora but I'd rather be on the stable edge than the latest developments which is what Fedora is.

Aside from RedHat/Fedora I'm not too familiar with the particular distros so any advice/links would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Avi Brender
    Reliable Web Hosting by Elite Hosts, Inc
    CPANEL Reseller Hosting - Fantastico - Rvskins - ClientExec

have you considered redhat 9 or redhat enterprise?

Scrap redhat, unless its RHE,

Debian (in its own ways advanced)
    Suse (even better if you get the server version)

BSD - heh, we all know the story

Well there is an EOL on RH 9 and I'd rather not upgrade every few months - also I'd rather not pay for RHE

How do Suse, Debian, Slackware and BSD compare?

IF memory serves me, BSD is not based on the linux kernel while Suse, Debian and Slackware are?

Are debian/slackware/suse server-grade? The name SLACKware doesn't instill confidence?

From what I understand, FreeBSD is server-grade - but has some SMP issues.

Are there other distros that I'm missing? Whats the main stream running now besides RedHat?

Thanks.

PS - Sorry about all this, but when changing the OS of a dozen servers, I'd rather not make a mistake!
    Avi Brender

You know what I did? I did a "yum update" to go straight from RH7.2 to Fedora Core 1! I still have the log file floating around somewhere (it was very cool)... And it worked, mostly. I just had to reboot and do some cleanup afterwards.

I, myself, am pushing Fedora Core 1 on our servers. I am very happy with it, and it's held up against plenty of testing, and I have found it to be stable.

BSD is another OS in itself, and the pre-5.x branches have had issues with SMP, but support is slowly but surely progressing.

I would very much recommend against using Slackware for anything.

Fedora is the spin-off of RedHat's "free" versions, but it is a community-developed operating system, as far as the userland utilities go.

I've said this before on just about every post that I've made - success will not be something you will find if you do not completely understand the enviornment on which you host. The frontend/WHM looks the same regardless of which OS it's on, but problems will arise if you do not know how to properly fix/repair/install/troubleshoot your actual platform. You may not be in the position to be doing this - perhaps you hire a staff to do this for you, in which case, they should be tech-savvy enough to recommend a distribution that will cater to your needs.

Best of luck to you, but please make an informed decision. I'd hate to see anyone go down because they encountered a problem in which they did not fully understand.

Regards
    :: [email protected]
    :: www.hakkrdan.org
    ::
    :: jack of all trades

Thanks Dan. I've considered the fedora core, but as I heard they plan to do a release every 6 months and I'd rather not have to update all my machines ever 6 months.
    Avi Brender

MaB -

What they also have planned is an easy way of upgrading and updating. It's not like you were to re-install the whole thing. It's a progressive upgrade as time goes on. I think you're a bit mislead by it's development path.

Regardless of all that, please keep in mind what I had said about knowing how your unferlying OS works.

Regards
    :: [email protected]
    :: www.hakkrdan.org
    ::
    :: jack of all trades

Thanks. I am very aware of how the RedHat os works, I wrote and use my own control panel so I know it in depth. That is why I hesitated to switch until now.

How is the fedora core working? Stable? Fast?

Does Fedora keep the same file structure?

What libraries - do they use the 7.X or 8.X (right) or 9.X in terms of the glibc etc...

I custom compile apache and php and other software to work with our control panel - unless its compatible with 7.X ill have to recompile - not a huge deal though.
    Avi Brender

I installed yum on a atest redhat 7.2 box and it looks like it updated some rpms like tcpdump (which had a security issue) etc... however it didn't look like it installed a new base os or anything.... is yum/fedor going to keep providing updates for redhat 7.X ?
    Avi Brender

I think i'm mixingup fedora and fedora core.

Are they run by the same people or projects with the same name?

My understanding is Fedora core is a new base os while Fedora Legacy is just updates for redhat 7.X? Does anyone know how long they will support redhat 7.2 for?

Does anyone have anything to say about fedora legacy?

Thanks
    Avi Brender

To use yum to upgrade to Fedora, you have to point it at the right repository. Note that this procedure is NOT for the faint of heart.

The steps to do this are:

(1) Review every package you have using "rpm --query --all" and delete whatever you can. I'm assuming you're upgrading a server and don't need all the workstation stuff, so get rid of it.

(2) Load the Fedora RPMS on your hard drive. I found that this is necessary because the network goes up and down during the upgrade (although it mostly stays up).

(3) Edit /etc/yum.conf to something like this:

[main]
    cachedir=/var/cache/yum
    debuglevel=2
    logfile=/var/log/yum.log
    pkgpolicy=newest

[base]
    name=Fedora Core 1
    baseurl=file:///home/rk/yarrow/Fedora

;[addons]
    ;name=Hand-built
    ;baseurl=file:///home/rk/addons

Try running "yum update". Try to resolve whatever dependency errors you have. I ended out having to hand-build awstats, m_sensors, pine, and squirrelmail in order to resolve dependencies.

Rince, repeat, and redo. Keep going through the dependencies until you get it right. Then, agree to do the yum update.

Wait a few hours. My output was here for comparison:

http://divdb.com/yum.out

Finally, reboot. Things won't work very well after the upgrade until you are up on the new kernel.

Good luck if you try it!

And to answer your other question, the Fedora Project puts out releases, named Fedora Core 1 and Fedora Core 2. The yum updater is just grabbing redhat 7.2 updates unless you reconfigure it.

I have found Fedora WONDERFUL. I only have one mysql process due to the enhanced threading of the kernel. Performance has been very good. Our custom site runs with around 200 concurrent users on 1GB RAM with MySQL-Max and Apache. Loads stay under 2.00 usually on our Athlon 1600+.

Dont go with fedora unless u want the same problems your having now.

This is how it works

Once Fedora Core 2 is released, updates to Fedora Core 1 will be discontinued 3 months after the release of Core 2.

they are trying to push out a new core every 3 - 6 months.

so your gunna have the same problems with fedora that your having with redhat 7.2

so dont go there (in my opinion)

i use slackware

Maybe not the best name for a distro, but on the whole its a nice distro

Debian is the way to go, sorry.

cPanel currently supports Debian (Beta), but Debian is in my opinion, one of the best, if not the best, Linux Distribution

Again, we are not looking for CPANEL support, we run our own cp - so cpanel support means nothing
    Avi Brender