Thread: SuperbServers

SuperbServers

Hello all, Just wondering if anyone has any complaints about Superb Servers. I can't find anybody bad mouthing them, searching through many, many threads with the exception of a dos problem they had a while back (during which they apparently gave refunds for downtime).

Now, Their SLA states that they GUARANTEE WITH REFUNDS:

- 100% Uptime
    - 0% Packetloss
    - LESS THAN 3ms ping to any of their backbone providers.

Any infractions on their part and they will credit 1 day of service. I don't know about you guys, but even at expensive centers like internap, nac, etc.. I've seen the odd 4ms+ ping to a backbone, or 1% packetloss for a few split seconds. It would be easy as pie to have nagios, zabbix, or something like that to send me an email with proof/date/time of any infractions such as these and get half of my month free every month (or more!) heh.

UNLESS, they live up to these promises, which would make them incredible -- I mean, they have over 100 DIRECT peers, PLUS 3 internet exchanges (NYIIX included!). Am I missing something? They aren't even too expensive.

I'm going to be getting a couple of boxes and giving it a shot, I know that much. If they live up to these promises, I'll be as happy as a pig in !@#$.

Opinions?

They are expensive, but their network is top notch, so is their support, but they are very expensive in support terms. I spent about 5k on support jsut getting the cluster to a working state, but I was learning then (A while ago).

Wow, what kind of pricing are we talking about for support? I mean, on a dedicated server - what about reboots, etc? Free? I didn't even think to check in to this sort of thing.

As a test, I would be getting 1-2 low-end dedicated servers to host a single high-traffic website.

They have 3 tickets FREE a month I think or something. You have to pay when you go over it. Try mailing them for more info.

Well as they say, you get what you pay for

I would think, if you are experienced @ administration of your own server, all issues that don't result from your mistakes are handled, for free. For example, I had like 3 OS re-installs due to unknown issues, and I felt that 2 of the times, I was charged the re-install fee without a solid basis suggesting that it was caused by me. So they offered me a free OS re-install + 1 full hour of support in return. So I would definatly say they are considerate and good, I ran IRC hosting from them, back in the day, and they allowed me to do so, as my box was marked "used for IRC" , I had 3-4 DDoS attacks in a period of 5-6 months, and every time, the server's latency would only slightly lag, they filtered everything rather than removing the server. I have heard they had a 100,000 source flood when I was with them, and for their size, it was pretty huge, their latency went from 30 ms to a max of 80 during the flood, all sites were up!

Definatly a good choice if you have the $$ for the setup fees / monthly fees.

If you do decide to go with them, be sure to request that none of your IPs be in their 66.235.184. IP block -- those IPs have been blacklisted by Road Runner for security reasons since February 23.

I have server with them about a year and I can tell that their network is good and support is ok

thanks a lot guys!

Their network is good but the support is average. Beware of their indian technical staff, they will ask for $$ for solving any of your problem.

we have 5 windows servers for gaming from them, and 1 linux box for webhosting and the servers are good, network is good, i havent really ever dealt with support, find a reseller on these forums and im sure you could get a better deal. superbservers is pretty much superb..

So where are they located i take it they are good for gaming servers?
    eXeGaming : Professional Gaming Organization

Well, I ran Counter-Strike from them - heh, these days I still see people run off IPs I used to own, Amazes me.

Clarification: web hosting / IRC / counter-strike / byond platform server.

Originally posted by 2webhost
    Their network is good but the support is average. Beware of their indian technical staff, they will ask for $$ for solving any of your problem.
    We do not have any support staff (or anything at all) in India. Our two NOCs are (DCA1) Georgetown, Washington, DC, (DCA2) Tyson's Corner, McLean, VA, and also a support office (YVR1) Vancouver, BC, Canada. All three locations are 24x7x365 live staffed and reachable via phone and tickets. So, all support is provided out of the US or Canada, always.

Some things to note regard SuperbServers

Hi,

I would like to add a few points of clarification to the comments above.

Originally posted by 2webhost
    - As we have always prided ourselves on quality support - when we learned that people were unhappy with support from India, we moved our support back to North America. Now all support is being done from one of our data centres in Vancouver, Canada, McLean,Virginia or Washington, DC.

- As for charging for fixing technical problems, we try to be helpful and answer any questions regarding the customers management of their SuperbServers but if it requires more than a few minutes (usually less than 15) then yes we do charge but our support costs are very low, usually less than $30 per resolution. We do clearly market the fact that SuperbServers are self-managed thus the low pricing.

- Regarding the IP issues our Abuse department is working very hard to clear up any issues arising from improper usage of our IPs - see AUP:
    http://www.superbservers.net/support/p-csu.php

We hope to have these all cleared up shortly.

Finally I did noted that someone here mentioned IRC hosting - this too is covered by our AUP (Section 14.1), which does not allow it (however existing customers who are already running them, if no problems then we are allowing them to continue with us until such time as problems arise).

Thank you to all for the kind words.
    Curtis

I doubt those guarantees apply to value bandwidth.. i'd be curious to know. last time i've seen 300ms they told me they had no SLA on their value bandwidth and I promptly got rid of my servers there, only have 1 left @ superb.

humm wierd, curtis used to do the support for me, the person who got my OS issues solved, heh, well SLA or no SLA, when i was with superb, I was happy.

Yes, they are good... bandwidth is good and I hear only good comments from our European web visitors (good peering)
    Last edited by apollo; 03-27-2004 at 05:02 PM.

Well, I received my server today.. with the WRONG OS! It's got Linux Fedora installed, not FreeBSD 4.9 like I requested. This is useless to me. To make it even worse, I havent been able to get anyone on the phone or via email for quite a while now! So much for 24/7 support - NOT a good start.

I know this isn't going to mean anything to you guys because I don't really have any proof, but once i was browsing around wht for east-coast servers, and somebody had said superb

so i tracerouted their site superbservers.net and i was getting 300ms when it hit the last 2 hops.. on hopone

again, i don't expect anyone to believe me - so take it for what you want. but this is just what i have noticed.

in any case, i decided not to go with them not because of that but just becuase i couldn't seem to find too much info about them

Originally posted by JSH-John
    Well, I received my server today.. with the WRONG OS! It's got Linux Fedora installed, not FreeBSD 4.9 like I requested. This is useless to me. To make it even worse, I havent been able to get anyone on the phone or via email for quite a while now! So much for 24/7 support - NOT a good start.
    I have just checked and your order was completed flawlessly as far as I can see. Your server is in fact FreeBSD 4.9 as requested.
    # uname -a
    FreeBSD sls-XXXXX.dca2.superb.net 4.9-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE
    In order to receive prompt support, information was given to you via the welcome email sent upon your account setup being completed. The email clearly states:

Support:
    - Please note that you will need the Full Host Name and the Location (shown above) when you contact us for support or a ny other inquries. Please keep it handy!
    - For all support queries and if you have any questions on this set-up, please enter your support request at mycp.superb.net
    While telephone support is available for SuperbServer accounts it is limited since all issues are handled via our ticket system. Telephone calls to the department regarding SuperbServer issues will, in essence, preclude and delay other customers who have already entered tickets. The only reason you would not be able to contact technical support is if all the representatives were on the phone and you did not leave a voicemail when given the choice to hold or leave a voicemail. Our turn around time on a ticket is averaging at 2 hours for first response and total resolution within 18 hours. This is based on the current average as of the writing of this reply for the past 200 tickets handled by the department.

Please contact me directly if you have any further concerns or wish to speak with me about our performance. You can reach me directly via email at lstewart[at]superb.net.

I'd just like to add that superb contacted me to resolve the issues and they are actually standing by their new SLA now, so things do seem to look better for me. Hopefully this turns out good and perhaps I will have more business with them in the future.

well i dont think their support is very good , although their server superbservers.net was hacked by a guy and noone observed , i sent an e-mail to abuse , so they kindah god owned by a 17 years old kid . i got a thank you e-mail though and now i get emails with new offers although they should try to increase their support and security ps. the thing with the hacked server is not an april joke

Originally posted by JSH-John
    In response to this post (of my own) I would just like to update you all on the situation.

In my original post I said "my server" - My company actually administrates dedicated boxes for people who have servers but don't know how to use them. Sort of a managed hosting sort of solution but with some bells and whistles. Anyhow, the actual cause of this problem was the fact that my customer who ordered the server selected Linux accidentally on the order form. He was certain that he selected FreeBSD, but after I spoke directly with Jose Castro @ Super Servers - he clarified everything for me. I apologize to Superb Servers and you all here at WHT for jumping the gun before I knew what actually happened.

Since then, Superb Servers installed the correct OS for us FREE OF CHARGE, a service which is not normally free (once we spoke with them directly, it was literally less than an hour before we had our new box ready, I was happy about that) - When I had my tech start working on the box however, we realized that the partitions were setup a bit wonky for what we needed to do and submitted a ticked to have them repartitioned. Within about 15 minutes we had a response to the ticket, and by morning (it was late at this point) the box was ready to go with the partitions setup exactly as we requested. Superb also did this FREE OF CHARGE, another service that normally has a charge.

I'd like to give a personal thanks to Jose Castro @ SS for taking care of us, I had a bad feeling until he took the time to call me and clarify everything.

I've now had time to test the box, and network and I must say I am very pleased. The customer only paid for a 10mbit port, but I'm able to max it it out at over 1200kB/sec to any of my other boxes that I've got running on expensive networks. (NAC, Above, Internap, and more).

To sum it up, at this point I highly recommend Superb Servers for their Dedicated Server services, they are taking care of us very well now and their price to quality ratio is truly outstanding.
    Last edited by JSH-John; 04-02-2004 at 07:46 PM.

Our experience with superb has been nothing short of, well.. Superb!