Thread: Defragment

Defragment

how often should you defrag your computer?

They say at least once a month. If you have a fast enough hard drive with cache you really won't see much of a difference. I just defraged my 100GB hard drive two weeks ago before I purchased a new drive and it took about 20 minutes. (Unlike the old Windows which can take overnight.) I didn't see any changes for the better. It doesn't hurt to do it once in a while though.
    Don't look for a way out.

When you need it.

You can just "Analyze" the hard drive and it will tell you if you should defrag or not.

Defrag?

Who bothers?

Haven't defragged mine since 1997.

Any performance hit is easily compensated with Quaaludes.

Originally posted by etLux
    LOL!

I haven't defragged in a while either, there is'nt much point in my eyes, although I think people with small hard drives (under 12GB) should
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company

Depends on what you're up to. If you're constantly revising stuff, or juggling and adding stuff, more often. Six months between is probably about average. Since defragging rewrites most of your files, the more often you defrag, the more risk of contaminating some files.

Originally posted by 4 Degrees
    ...although I think people with small hard drives (under 12GB) should
    Sure, sure.

Next we'll be talking about penis envy.

Defrag every two years.

what program do you use to defrag under Linux? I've never really looked for it

I am once a month. But I have all sorts of performance software. Run 2 anti virus softwares, 2 spyware/adware softwares, 1 firewall (software), one hardware firewall, and make sure I always defrag at least once a month (sometimes twice)
    http://www.pcshopper.org <- PCShopper is so easy to navigate your grandmother could do it. Some of the best computer deals on the net are contained there.

Well perhaps I am being a bit to judgemental and do appologise however it appears that so far nobody in this thread knows what the hell they are talking about.

Firstly "defrag" is a windows program. I prefer to use Norton's "speed disk" essentially they do a similar job, that is they take all the data that is scattered everwhere through out the hard disk and put it all back in order. I believe there is a couple of programs available that work in the background doing this on the fly, however I am yet to try them. Unfortunately as windows accesses data it doesn't put it back in the same place it got it from. It is bit like having a secretary that keeps getting documents from the filing cabinet and putting them back any old where.

I would advise if you use your computer once or twice a week then monthly would be fine, if you use your computer nearly every day then once a week would be better. The longer you leave it between defrags the longer it willl take, if you get into a habit of running it regularily it will be very quick.

If your the sort of person that has there computer going 24/7 then I would be defraging it every day or atleast every second day.

If you have Norton system works and decide to run "speed disk" ..which I recommend then under NO circumstances run defrag.

NEVER run two different programs that do the same job i.e. Defrag and speed disk ... it's one or the other.

Now for that individual that said they run two virus checkers, that is one of the worst ideas I have ever heard. It is a well know fact that one virus checker will treat the other virus check as a VIRUS.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

Originally posted by TheDoctor
    Well perhaps I am being a bit to judgemental and do appologise however it appears that so far nobody in this thread knows what the hell they are talking about.
    Hmmm...
    Firstly "defrag" is a windows program.
    "Defrag" is short for "defragment." Sure, there's a Windows program with the same name, but that doesn't mean it's still not a valid term to use generically. When you use a program to eliminate or reduce fragmentation, you are "defragging," whatever program you use. So I wouldn't take someone's recommending that you "defrag" to necessarily mean that you use the specific Windows utility called defrag.
    Unfortunately as windows accesses data it doesn't put it back in the same place it got it from.
    Huh? Accessing data doesn't move it, and you don't have to "put it back." But I suppose what you mean is that if you re-save, say, a word processing document it won't be saved in the same postion on the disk where it was... which is certainly true.

But you could have a huge database file, for example, and access it all day long without writing anything, and none of that file would be moved. It wouldn't become any more fragmented than it was to begin with.
    Last edited by JayC; 03-25-2004 at 10:21 PM.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

Originally posted by etLux
    Defrag?

Who bothers?

Haven't defragged mine since 1997.

What has defraging your hard disk got to do with Drug.

Quaaludes are a group of CNS depressants classed as "hypnotic sedatives"

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

I run my computer every day, 24hours a day. I have found once to twice a month being fine. There is always gonna be disorder on your hard drive. It doesn't do a whole lot to organize it beside speed up access time. So from a Computer Science and Computer Engineer standpoint I have found that running scandisk everyday, creates a ton of wear on your HD. Just my opinion.
    http://www.pcshopper.org <- PCShopper is so easy to navigate your grandmother could do it. Some of the best computer deals on the net are contained there.

*hugs his HFS+ volume which never gets fragmented*
    Gone.

Originally posted by phision.com
    *hugs his HFS+ volume which never gets fragmented*
    We don't want to know about some pretend computer system thank you kindly

Anyway what sort of name is Apple .. Apple is meant to be a fruit.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

Quote: If your the sort of person that has there computer going 24/7 then I would be defraging it every day or atleast every second day.

No offense but that is just being stupid, I use my computer 24/7 and that is not needed, infact you risk corrupting files with excesive defraging because when you defrag files are re-written