Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1and1.com

It can't be in NYC - i think it might be in philly too - or maybe outside of the city in hudson valley

Their datacenter is in Manhattan. Their sales and support office is located outside Philadelphia.

I have a dedicated server with them. No real complaints... but I will note that 1) their tech support is almost useless for getting assistance with regards to any apps, services, features, or OS running in the box - they assume you know what you're doing. 2) You can be on hold for a while before getting through to support during the day. 3) Their web control panel is clumsy. 4) 500GB transfer is on the low side. 5) They have no provisions or plans for upgrading server hardware memory, HD, bandwidth, etc. 6) They took over a week to get our server online, and left us in limbo after ordering. (My biggest gripe with them.)

There are a number of good things about them: low prices, low and consistently steady pings for game servers, money-back guarantee, they're a big company which translates into things like toll-free phone support, well financed infrastructure, large datacenter, and hopefully the ability to handle and prevent problems that a smaller company wouldn't be able to deal with as well.
    Last edited by evilelmo; 08-26-2004 at 01:44 AM.

where iN Manhattan aer they ... i called them up and they just said they're not in Manhattan

is 1and1 the same as stargateinc.net? seems to be. The server that 1and1 is on hosts 27,450 websites.
    Best Wishes,

Blake L. Smith - blake@xtremebandwidth.com
    XtremeBandwidth.com, Inc. - Wholesale Tier1 Bandwidth!

Originally posted by The Broadband Man
    where iN Manhattan aer they ... i called them up and they just said they're not in Manhattan
    Beats me. When I spoke with them and asked if my server was going to be located in Paoli, PA (very close to me actually), they told me no - only their headquarters and sales and support staff were there. The datacenter was in Manhattan.

1and1 is horrible right now, has been for the last few days. My (free) site is hosted at 217.160.226.66 and has not been working well at all for the last few days. Sometimes it loads, sometimes it time outs. 217.160.226.65 and 217.160.226.67 work for me perfectly, it is just the server that MY site is no (as usual). Anyone know what's up?

Edit: FTP and mail works fine.
    Last edited by f00kie; 08-26-2004 at 07:02 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12