Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1and1.com

1and1.com

I looked at their dedicated servers today, I was interested in ordering the Pentium 4 3.06 GHz (Managed Server III). Any comments on this compay? Please specify the pros and cons.

What are you going to be using this server for?
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz
    Connect: linkedin.com/in/brendandiaz

I've considered 1and1 at one time, but there were so many mixed reviews about them I didn't know what to expect. Do their servers make good hosting servers (non gaming)

According to reviews I have read, no they do not.

Example: http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/Ser...a?__frame=_top

You must use their control panel on their managed servers. Their control panel is not designed for webhosting, it's designed to have control of your server, and not over many user accounts. Root servers are another story...
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz
    Connect: linkedin.com/in/brendandiaz

If I were to get one I'd get a Root Server 3, the only thing I don't like is the fact you would need to get a cpanel license on your own from what I understand they don't off cpanel at all. What are some good cheap places to get cpanel licenses from?

I experimented with their Managed hosting and you basically rely on their control panel. You can't even pay them to install plesk, ensim or cpanel for you. You can't do very much with a 1and1 managed server. You have no root access. The only good things I liked about it was that they provide firewall and daily backup for free. Support via email is bad. Phone support is okay, although sometimes you may wait up to 10 minuites for an answer.

Guess that depends on what you mean by "you can't do very much". You'll certainly be able to run ressource intensive web sites, but you won't have root access. If you need that, you would go with an unmanaged server or have a look elsewhere.

1and1.com's control panel sucks.

That's not to say that everything about their company sucks, because it doesn't.

Actually, I had already read that thread you provide the link to, before you provided it.

I will stand by what I said before, though.

Not everything about 1and1.com sucks.

My experience with them is limited to using a promotional 3-year free web host package. The fact is, there are a number of positive things that I can say about that package.

The amount of disk space and bandwidth that that promotional package provides is more than many paid web host packages that I came across.

One of the reasons that i decided to try a paid host, however, was to see if, when I rebuilt my website on the new host, whether the pages would load faster or not. Having not tried a paid host, I am not presently in a position to blame the speed at which my site loads on 1and1.com.

1and1.com's support was actually pretty decent, when I firsts tarted using the promotional package. In the several months since then, I have e-mailed their support people a handful of times, probably a half dozen times or so in all.

At this point in time, I would not rate their support very highly, where the free promotional package is concerned. The package, itself, however, I would rate fairly high. It was not simply a good deal at the time that I came across it, it was a very good deal. My feelings regarding that remain unchanged.

What you get with that promotional offer (which I believe ended in January) was a good bit of stuff.

If 1and1.com's online documentation was better, then customers like myself wouldn't even need to bother them as much as we do. When the documentation is deficient, and the support is deficient, then the end result for the web master is problematic, to say the least.

Some of their documentation is helpful. Not all of it is, though. Overall, I would rate 1and1.com's online documentation at a D. When I have needed it the most, it has failed me. That is not to say that all of their online documentation is deficient, however, because it isn't.

I opted to register my first domain name with 1and1.com primarily because I felt that their promotional offer was a good deal. My experiences with their deficient documentation and deficient customer support, however, persuaded me to look elsewhere, other than 1and1.com, when I began looking at paid web host providers.

Not having a paid web host account with 1and1.com, though, I cannot speak to their performance and support issues, where paid web hosting by them is concerned.

I just ordered one today but the conf# didn't go through so
    I ended up ordering another one w/a confirmation therefore
    I should have one up.

I called their Tech Support and they answered within 3 minutes
    which I was surprised but all I needed as a PDF (form) to
    fill out and fax back; second time I called I hung up the
    phone after 10 min. of wait.

The server was up within few hours and that's pretty good
    for a weekend.

So far so good. Anything other than NHICOLO is better so
    for the price of 1and1, to me they are better by far.

I just hope they won't charge me for the format.

I will go ahead and load some MRTG stuff and see the
    bandwidth bursts in and out and see how good they are.

lack of support

My experience with their 3 year free account was an extremely slow control panel although that seems to get a bit better. A corrupted email account for the last 3 months and still no response after several support attempt.

The server runs ok but no email support as most large hosting companies and very bad control panel.

I made the mistake of ordering a "managed" server from 1and1 last month and am still crying to this day. DON'T--repeat DO NOT--get a managed server from 1and1 you'll be sorry!

As far as I'm concerned, I agee with the comment that 1and1 sucks. I have one of their free professional package, which despite the slow and clunky control panel, was pretty good. Until now. They had a server crash and after almost a week they have been unable to bring it back online. No warning and no help from tech support. Complete incompetency.

If need a server for hosting you shouldn't get it from another hosting company like 1&1. First, they're too big, and secondly their server have low traffic allowance and lack the features needed for hosting.

Getting a reseller account is of course a different case.

The managed boxes I'm not sure. I got the cheapest root server on their site for my website and haven't had one problem yet. Box runs really well, and when I call (only twice so far) I get answers.

I can't complain.

I mostly agree with blockcipher. We have the same thing from 1 & 1 and have had no major problems.

Their email support needs some help though - I think the techs are offshore and need some help in English. But the phone people seem top nothch.

As for billing - I ordered the incorrect server at first. Lesson learned here, order things at the BEGINNING of the day instead of the end. The next morning after I learned I goofed, I called the billing department and was told to order the correct one and cancel the wrong one and you'll get 2 charges and 1 credit. I expected the charges to go through immediately and the credit to take a month or so. But I was surprised at seeing only one charge, the correct one, on the bank statement.

Howard J. Brubaker
    Wizcom, Ltd

i recently picked up a few customers from 1&1 they said that the service was the worst they had ever had and that support actually hung up on them at one time. (whether i know this is true or not i cannot say) but it's what i heard.

1 and 1 sucks - no flexibility at all

Although funny thing is 1and1.com seems to have very very low ping - lower than voxel and ezzi ... hrm

The service from 1&1 is slow and unresponsive. For the most part they provide non-helpful generic responses. I went for 8 days where I could not get any access to my Web space, although e-mail still worked. Is it unreasonable to expect that a reasonable host would move my domain to a different server in less than 8 days? I've since switched to Pixiehost -- what a difference. Fast, helpful support and, knock on wood, stable. Better ping time than 1and1 as well. IMHO, 1and1 is just a big out of control mess.

where is the physical location of their dcs?

1and1 is an excellent company, i have a a server with them.

No complaints

Oh, and to answer the above question, their datacentres are located in Manhattan, then there is another brand new one in germany, which is the one they advertise on their website.

I was told their dc is in Pennsylvania, by Philly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast