any other americans annoyed with the new FCC junk?

radio people are saying that they are being inflicted with retroactive fines for things that happened up to and including 5 years ago. At $500,000 an offense it doesn't take a lot to see this is going to literally kill a lot of smaller stations. As far as I knew the first ammendment was pretty clean cut and clear, why did we allow this to happen?!

...all from a little nip.
    jubba joo!

If they don't like the fine, they shouldn't have committed the offense at the first place. Mass media is an extremely powerful tool and can have immense repercussions if abused.
    Have you Floble'd today?

thats just it, they CHANGED the fine this year to something like 5-10x what it was in the original occurence and then went back and charged them with the new fine! thats like Ford motor coming up to you and being like...well, a lot of people are having accidents now with our cars, so wed like to charge you an extra 50,000 for that car you bought from us in 1996.
    jubba joo!

What's funny you can say the same things overseas and not be an issue. The FCC are very lame.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

Originally posted by Fujiwara Takumi
    thats just it, they CHANGED the fine this year to something like 5-10x what it was in the original occurence and then went back and charged them with the new fine! thats like Ford motor coming up to you and being like...well, a lot of people are having accidents now with our cars, so wed like to charge you an extra 50,000 for that car you bought from us in 1996.
    Well, that's probably unethical, but it's perfect legal AFAIK.

The radio station can probably try appealing to the courts.
    Have you Floble'd today?

Originally posted by KimmiKat
    What's funny you can say the same things overseas and not be an issue. The FCC are very lame.
    as far as im concerned words are a lot less damaging than some of the **** ive seen on 24.
    jubba joo!

Put it in this light. You park in a timed area. Your timer runs out, you get a ticket. You ask what the fine is, ok, $25. You go up a week later to pay it, they say "Ops, sorry, the fines went up to $150 yesterday, your gonna have to pay the new rate....not the rate it was at the time you got the ticket.

A few of you may still say that's fair, but I dont think you would still be saying that if it actually happened to you...

from another board i post on:

Somewhat related....

I worked on a lawsuit involving a law EPA had issued. An environmental group challenged the law, which had dropped an older law off the books 5 years earlier. One arguement that EPA made was that, if they lost the suit, then the 1,000 or so factories that followed the new law for the past 5 years (as required by law) would then be found in violation of the old law for the past 5 years. The court said "so what?" on this issue.

Luckily, EPA won the suit on other grounds. If they hadn't, I would have had to explain to Management why we were paying a fine for following a law and could have avoided the fine if we didn't follow the law (though we could then have been fined for not following the new law).

Man, it must be fun to be a lawyer.....
    jubba joo!

Well,

If your tired of how f***ed up the FCC is becoming,simply VOICE YOUR OPINION!!.

Help stop the FCC!!!!!!!!

The Dude

It is getting out of control I think
    http://www.pcshopper.org <- PCShopper is so easy to navigate your grandmother could do it. Some of the best computer deals on the net are contained there.

Hehehe,

There has been @ least 100 entries since mine!!!!!!!!!!!

It shows the last 5 and its amazing!!!!!!!!!

The FCC thinks they OWN everything,thjats why they like busting pirates and such cause THEY ARENT GETTING ANY $$ (losers)

Lets try and stop them!!!!!!!!!

The Dude

Originally posted by The Dude_
    Hehehe,

There has been @ least 100 entries since mine!!!!!!!!!!!

It shows the last 5 and its amazing!!!!!!!!!

The FCC thinks they OWN everything,thjats why they like busting pirates and such cause THEY ARENT GETTING ANY $$ (losers)

Lets try and stop them!!!!!!!!!

The Dude
    Haha...st..op...the....FCC!?!

No offense to any of you, but the FCC is one of the very few government organizations who actually somewhat do thier job, the other possibly being the FAA...
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

Anyone sign that petition yet?????? (Besides MUA)

The Dude

i think it is stupid. one boob and now they clamp down on everything. it is like people have never seen boobs before. plus, it was for such a short time.
    Alvin