Thread: High risk order

* High risk order

I've been getting a lot of high risk orders and decided to start a new policy. Anything over $100.00 of service is considered pretty high risk with our new policy so i've decided to do phone verification. Recently I received a dedicated server customer through one of our leads, now due to privacy policy nothing about this customer will be displayed. Anyways the customer ordered via our automated process and I received the order, but my merchant said that the user appears to be in Toronto however the billing address is coming from Illinois. I decided to call the user and the person had no idea what I was talking about except the number seemed to be in Illinois as well. I'm guessing maybe the person may have moved and possibly their number was not moved over? I don't know what I should do, I took one step so far and e-mailed the user to please call my tollfree number within 24-48 hours and state their name, address, and what they ordered. Anything else I should do? Does this order sound suspiscious?
    Nationhosts, LLC
    http://www.nationhosts.com
    "Nationwide hosting solutions"

how did you get their phone number?

IF they gave you a number which was incorrect, then id say hold off.
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

Yes - very suspiscious. When in doubt, always best to err on the side of caution

I use WHM Autpilot. Lately I've been very suspiscious of people abusing the scripts WHMAP uses as well. People have tried to fake the output to try to go with a incomplete order yet send fake strings to try and get a domain created free. So far no one has bypassed it, is it possible for someone to bypass WHMAP without paying?
    Nationhosts, LLC

I also use WHM Autopilot and I sure hope not NH! I have also been getting a lot of fraud orders (Like 1 a day). I found a Vietnamese forum where they were talking about how WHM was good for fraud when it had instant setup and they even linked to my site so people could try to fraud me. Anyway, I reported the forum to the FBI and their server host, it got pulled half a week later. I still get all these Vietnam and Estonia orders and its really annoying getting fraud orders Every day... I have called some that I found suspicious and when the person finds out, I have to go ahead and tell them to contact their CC Company and get the card canceled because its been compromised.
    Web Hosting: BlueCapacity.com
    Image Hosting: iownjoo.com
    AIM: bluecapacity | Email: Webmaster at bluecapacity.com

i've only recieved one fraud order, some guy from Saudi Arabia, he didn't end up paying though so no harm done

I personally would shoot an e-mail off to someone at iNet concerning this since you got them through their program.
    Advanced Forum Hosting
    http://www.boardnation.com
    Easily build a community today!

This is why we process and setup every order by hand and verify by phone.

I don't want to deal with customers that want to be cloaked in privacy. I only want real customers that understand the risks of running a real business and also understand that i am not only protecting our interests but also protecting thiers too.
    Know It All Solutions Incorporated
    Web Design, Web Development and Web Hosting

Also helps to block free email addresses on those orders in access of a certain limit you set.

Anyone can pretty much presume that if you have a Dialup or Cable/DSL connection then you're connected through an ISP. If you have an ISP then you can surely bet you have an email address. Therefor, anyone who has a need to purchase a higher priced item should have no problem ordering from an email address that is not included in a "Free Email" type verfication script.

Saves us from the fraudulent orders which were at one point very persistent.
    - Tim

Just ask him to supply you with a correct telephone number. If the phone number is a fake, then it's most likely fraudulent. If he's concerned with his privacy, ask him to pay with some other irrevocable payment method.

For anything over $100 I request a signed authorization prior to charge the Credit Card
    ^_^

Originally posted by pjs
    Just ask him to supply you with a correct telephone number. If the phone number is a fake, then it's most likely fraudulent. If he's concerned with his privacy, ask him to pay with some other irrevocable payment method.
    but what does privacy have to do with doing business with someone?

one should expect that the person you do business with will require information.
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

Originally posted by KIAHost
    This is why we process and setup every order by hand and verify by phone.

I don't want to deal with customers that want to be cloaked in privacy. I only want real customers that understand the risks of running a real business and also understand that i am not only protecting our interests but also protecting thiers too.
    ditto

We personally review every order. It is time consuming but it is worth it not to have 5 or 10 or more chargebacks every month.
    Keith Gallant
    JustHosting.ca
    http://www.justhosting.ca

Originally posted by Bub Host
    i've only recieved one fraud order, some guy from Saudi Arabia, he didn't end up paying though so no harm done
    Wow, a fraud order where no money money changed hands. I wish we had more like that.
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.

Is it even fraud if they didnt buy anything?? Interesting :-)
    The Hostworks:: Offering Managed and Unmanaged VPS
    Shared Web Hosting and Managed E-Mail security services.
    24/7 Support :: 10 year anniversary coming soon!

This is what happens to me the most, is all the information lines up, except its a free email from yahoo/hotmail, and the IP is from the phillipines, or vietnam. The name/address/phone all match on the billing info. Since the country IP code does not match the country code of the billing address, I call to verify. Then usually the person says "No I never ordered that, I dont even know what hosting is."

Then I say "Well, it looks like someone has your credit card information, you may want to call your credit card company and cancel your card just to be safe, here is the information I have:" And then I give them all the info I have. Then I send an email off to the email address given and say "We are having a problem processing your credit card, please call us at (phone number) or email back so that we can get this cleared up" In hopes of striking up a conversation with the fraudster to improve the chances of having a trail to follow to bust them.

The following order was manually reviewed by the 2Checkout Fraud Department and was determined to be fraudulent.

This DOES NOT mean that the order has to be fraudulent. It means that the order was reviewed by a 2Checkout fraud analyst who determined there were sufficient grounds to cancel the order immediately.

2Checkout endeavors to accept every possible order while at the same time protecting you and ourselves from fraud. If you are confident the order is valid please contact the buyer and obtain a signature and copy of their card statement
    or provide additional justification as to why you believe this order should be billed.

2Checkout Order Number: ********
    Order Amount: $199
    Card Holder Name: Linda ******

The 2Checkout fraud analyst had the following additional comments:
    Cardholder address is Illinois, IP location is Canada. Same e-mail with different names

You can view this order here:

If you have any questions regarding this order please fill out an online contact form here
    https://www.2checkout.com/contactus.htm

Thank You

2Checkout.com Inc. Fraud Department
    Nationhosts, LLC

Most of our fraud seems to come from Vietnam and Singapore and in fact, we don't accept orders from those countries or orders with IPs originating from those 2 countries.
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.

I hate to say it but generally a female name on the order form can be a sign of fraud. Of course there are female customers for all companies but majority are male so female names always cause us to look a bit deeper.

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

Good policy, I should start a policy like that also.
    Golden Globe Hosting | It's Time To Get Online.
    www.goldenglobehosting.com
    info@goldenglobehosting.com

Originally posted by jvds
    I hate to say it but generally a female name on the order form can be a sign of fraud. Of course there are female customers for all companies but majority are male so female names always cause us to look a bit deeper.

Rus
    Yeap, but I highly doubt there would be any female would be interested in your VPS

However, it is very possible for a female to sign up for a small account for blogging or personal usage,.