What are the best referral programs?

Hey All,

I have a friend that helps small businesses and others to setup websites and is looking for hosting companies with high referral payouts.

Most companies I know offer their customers 10-20% for referring new customers. I'm just curious if this is the norm? What are some of the best deals that you guys have seen?

Thanks.
    Cam T.

10% is roughly the norm for referral programs.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

I dare to say that the best referral programs are not those that pay the highest commissions, but those from companies that provide quality hosting services.
    Find great hosts and then see which run affiliate programs. You may select on commision afterwards.
    So your question should be reformulated: does anyone know a great hosts that have an affiliate program? How much do they pay?
    On a side note: Were you talking about reoccuring commisions?

ldcdc,

Great point. I was more curious as to finding out what kind of programs are out there - ie: anything innovative instead of just the standard 10%? I think my friend would be more interested in getting a month or two of hosting than the cash itself.

But yes, reliable and quality hosting is definetly a must
    Cam T.

Here's a stupid question. How much is it going to cost to administer this referral program vs. the % paid out?

I know with some of the larger programs, the IRS is demanding bookkeeping now.

go to shareasale.com they have hosting offers with big payouts! real big! like 100%

affiliate programs usually pay about 30% of the commissions they pay out to the network
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

I give all my clients a free months worth of hosting for referring a new client. I don't care if they're a $20 package and they only refer a $5 package. It's made up to me in the long run and they get a benefit too

I've been running this system for a while now and it's worked well, both for bringing in new clients and keeping existing ones fans of the company.
    Former owner of A Small Orange
    New owner of <COMING SOON>

I think IPowerweb and ****** give good referral commissions..something to the tune of $60 per account.. but then you have to first find out how good a web host they are?
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

we are planning to launch referal program in few days/weeks with 100% of first month
    Pro-net-hosting.com - www.pro-net-hosting.com
    Pro hosting solutions since april 2003.

Usually the comissions are 10%. But they are paid not once but every month, while the payments from the referrer are accepted (as for our company does). So affiliate partner will receive stable income from their referring. And I think it fair and profitable for both - company and affiliate partner

Originally posted by HQHost
    Usually the comissions are 10%. But they are paid not once but every month, while the payments from the referrer are accepted (as for our company does). So affiliate partner will receive stable income from their referring. And I think it fair and profitable for both - company and affiliate partner
    yep but in 100% case they get 10 months at once and it doesnt matter if client will go somewhere else for hosting after 5 months
    Pro-net-hosting.com - www.pro-net-hosting.com
    Pro hosting solutions since april 2003.

Yes, there a different models out there. Which is better depends on each person's preferences.

I'm hard pressed to think I'd sign up for an affiliate program that didn't at least give me $50 for the sale. If a hosting plan is $10 a Month and I get 10% that's only $1. Even if it's reccurring that's only $12 a year. WTF am I going to do with $1. Even if I make 1000 sales I only get $1000. Not only that... But do you know how long it takes to make 1000 sales? I've been doing this for three years and I don't even have 1000 customers. Fuggetaboutit.

That being said... I think a one time payment is the best route to go.
    Compare prices and features of over 100 different web hosting plans with the IceIsHot.com Web Hosting Comparison.

From the affiliates point of view I think 10% is a little low. As Iceishot says it really is not much on normal hosting accounts. How much does the average web host spend on advertising? A well run affiliate program can be all the advertising you need.

I think recurring commissions is the best scheme in theory, but it's very hard to beat $50~ one-time commissions. A mix of one-time and recurring would be nice. F.ex. 100% of first month, then 10% every month after. I think affiliates deserve more than $1 up front for a new customer, and for the web host the risk will still be low.
    Good Web Hosting Info - Information about web hosting

10% is a standard for almost all big boys out there
    http://forum.sumrise.com All About China Forum: trips, business, stocks and more!

The best!

Check out my link. It goes to resellerspanel. I've been with them for 2 years and I make between $180-$340 per client. The best part is it costs me $0 per month! They take their fee when your client pays them.

<CL edit - link removed>

Oh, clients get a free domain and one free month with no set-up fee's.
    Last edited by Odd Fact; 03-26-2004 at 05:35 PM.