Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How to spot a reseller

Hi!

I was wondering... how exactly (and I must emphasize "exactly")can one find out if a host is a just a reseller? I know it has to do with whois, dns, reverse IP and things like these, but what has to be done exactly?

I would need the steps and tools to find each bit of info that is required to complete this task.

Could someone that has this kind of knowledge help me?

Thank you very much.

There really is no concrete way.
    You can check the server name in a google search and see if it comes up under another established host.

I find the best way is to ask.

I'm not a reseller but what does that matter to you if you want shared hosting. Most hosts will tell you who's network they use if its a good enough network, as often it adds to their own credibility.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Just ask

I can understand why someone would want to know.

As a reseller, even if you have the best intentions in the world, you can only be as good as your host.

In terms of network but resellers can and have offered better support than their main host.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.

What you say is true, but say I just found out a host and I think it's just a reseller, the server name leads to no results in Google and I want to find this on my own (without asking them).

How should I go about it?

I'm not looking for general information. I want a clear method. I know that some resellers can be even better because they provide a more personal approach.

All I want is something like: Go to whois.sc and do this. Take the IP/server name or whatever and put it in the "dhfkjsfdh" field at "this website". Take this other info and do this.

I'm sure you understand what I want...

just look at the nameservers the domain uses from the whois entry. Should give you a hint as to who is hosting it. Course this is only one of many methods.

If you ask a reseller if they are a reseller, they are going to usually say no. And it is hard to tell if they are a reseller, because they get they own IP and NS.
    Golden Globe Hosting | It's Time To Get Online.
    www.goldenglobehosting.com
    info@goldenglobehosting.com

Hmm... that's too easy I'm talking about cases where some steps were taken to keep things anonymous...

traceroute will give you the datacenter the sites in if you know how to read ip tags.

Originally posted by gghosting
    If you ask a reseller if they are a reseller, they are going to usually say no. And it is hard to tell if they are a reseller, because they get they own IP and NS.
    What are you basing this on?
    Most resellers I know have no problem with admitting that they resell.

This isn't perfect but it will help.

Visit http://www.dnsreport.com/
    Type in the hosts website address. (I'm gonna use hostinglite.com)

First check the name servers...

NS records at parent servers
    Your NS records at the parent servers are:

ns3.hostinglite.com. [66.197.146.229] [TTL=172800] [US]
    ns4.hostinglite.com. [66.197.146.230] [TTL=172800] [US]

[These were obtained from a.gtld-servers.net]

----
    That check out. Look a little lower and you will see...

NS records at your nameservers
    Your NS records at your nameservers are:

NS8.hiyacorp.com. [TTL=14400]
    NS9.hiyacorp.com. [TTL=14400]

----------
    Theres an indicator that hostinglite is a reseller of HiyaCorp (thats wrong though, HostingLite is owned by HiyaCorp). But lets say that comes out good.

Then look at...

SOA record
    Your SOA record [TTL=14400] is:
    Primary nameserver: NS8.hiyacorp.com.
    Hostmaster E-mail address: admin.hiyacorp.com.
    Serial #: 2004030600
    Refresh: 28800
    Retry: 7200
    Expire: 3600000
    Default TTL: 86400

-----------
    Notice the Hostmaster E-mail address.

Finally, look at...

Mail server host name in greeting
    hostinglite.com claims to be host cpanel.hiyacorp.net.

---------------
    Those are really the huge indicators. If you also want, grab the nameserver IP and go to http://www.dnsstuff.com/ and run a Tracert or an RDNS lookup.

Good Luck,
    Fred

that's a good question, but I don't think there's any way to know for sure, ldcdc.

I have often wondered the same thing about someone, as well as who they were a reseller of, and I found out the hard way, after signing up and a month or two later found out through support forums.

why not just have someone else ask him anonymously, in case you don't want them to know you were asking. I would be willing to email them for you and reply here with the results, just PM me.

gd

Thank you very much Fred. This is the kind of thing I was looking for. Nice job!

Does anyone have other things to add? I want to know as much as possible about this.

globald, I'm just trying to learn how to do it, I don't actually need it right now. Thanks for the offer though. I appreciate it.

Where exactly are you trying to go with this?

Where exactly are you trying to go with this?
    Nowhere in particular. As I said, I'm just trying to learn it. This seems to be the right place to get answers to a question like this. Sure, there is another method: "learn all the theory and read all that was ever written about DNS", but that would take a bit too much time.

As I said, can anyone add more to what Fred posted? Thanks!

Are you sure you aren't going somewhere in particular?

It is crazy what all you can find out about people on the net.. Hell i found a picture of the house that the owner of my reselling company runs... of course that is pretty lame, but you get bored every once in a while.

Im still trying to figure out where exactly you are going with this.

As I said, this is pure research. I have no real aim yet. I read somewhere that pretty much 99% of resellers can be spoted so I want to know how. That's all. Don't worry, I have no real target.

Im still trying to figure out where exactly you are going with this.
    I find this particular phrase a bit aggressive because I already answered your question. If I were asking about the plans to build an atom bomb I could understand, but the info I asked for is not that sensitive.

Back to the topic: How to spot a reseller?

Sorry... not trying to be agressive. my apologies

2 tests that reveal results in quite a few cases...not all, but quite a few...

telnet ip 25
    telnet ip 21

The hostname, if its a fully qualified domain name can be then further queried in whois and google

In my case...if you ask me...I would just send you a screenshot of my APC switch screen...because I haven't got my network upstream to photograph my equipment yet. That's a great thing to put on site...so reading this thread makes me think I should be doing it fast, ...people get ideas otherwise and we may be losing sales.
    Last edited by nipl; 03-24-2004 at 09:41 PM.

OK... thanks for the tip Anand.

Sorry... not trying to be agressive. my apologies
    No problem. Sorry if I misinterpreted it.

Originally posted by ldcdc
    Thank you very much Fred. This is the kind of thing I was looking for. Nice job!
    No Problem

Originally posted by ldcdc
    As I said, this is pure research. I have no real aim yet. Don't worry, I have no real target.

Back to the topic: How to spot a reseller?
    hmmm, but the name of your website suggests otherwise!

especially this page

http://www.whreviews.com/upto.htm

and this!

http://www.whreviews.com/reseller-hosting.htm
    Last edited by Project X; 03-24-2004 at 10:16 PM.
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

hmmm, but the name of your website suggests otherwise!
    hmmm... I do not "do reviews". I merely search for them and basically let people draw their own conclusions. This "spotting" knowledge will not be used to review companies. I only want to satisfy my curiosity.
    Offtopic to the offtopic: I downloaded a movie from the website that you used to link to in your signature. Interesting stuff... Thanks for pointing me to it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast