Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Do what I do.

"Hey, you know, that sounds great. I'm really interested and I'd like to hear more. But hang on. My doorbell just rang. Let me take care of that and I'll be right back, OK?"

Then put them on hold and go back to work (or whatever you were doing).

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Originally posted by vito
    Do what I do.

"Hey, you know, that sounds great. I'm really interested and I'd like to hear more. But hang on. My doorbell just rang. Let me take care of that and I'll be right back, OK?"

Vito
    now that is just being a tight ***

The longest any one of them ever stayed on hold was 20 minutes.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Telemarketer: Hi would you like to buy... blah blah blah

You: Oh yes!! But can you give me your home number? I'd like to buy it later tonight, when you're off shift, but I want you to do the sale.

TM: Sorry, I can't give out my home number?

You: Oh, you don't want people calling you at home?

TM: Nope.

You: Good, neither do I. ::HANGUP::
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat
    MSN=xshare101@hotmail.com
    EMAIL=Use the board's email system, please.

well, if I ever get a telemarketing call (which is very unlikely) then that's what I will be doing

The only call I know of was when my aunt recieved a call about a phone survey, but that was when I was 6 and I think she opted in for it

Well, this may be a bit shady, but whenever a telemarketer called (ever since I registered on the Do Not Call list I haven't gotten but one call), I'd answer, without listening to their initial sales pitch, "911, What's your emergency?" (For those WHTers not from the US, 911 is what we dial for an emergency.)

Needless to say I would instantly hear a click - the sound of the call ending right away. One time I had a nice young woman say, "Oh my gosh I'm soo sorry, wrong number! There's no emergency!" and then she hung up.

I do feel bad about that sometimes, but they really began to annoy me, calling during dinner and whatnot and so I started answering with the 911 thing and the calls stopped becoming so numerous.

Best Regards,
    Waylon
    Last edited by peersignal; 03-24-2004 at 10:27 PM.

Originally posted by Bub Host
    in AUS nobody gets any telemarketing calls not one.....
    Rubbish.

We used to get several a week. In fact I get less here in The States than in Oz.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Re: So..I get a call..Telemarketer..Gets out of hand

Originally posted by JWise
    So.. the supervisor comes on, asks for Credit Card # , Bank account # and all that.
    Sounds more like you were in the process of being ripped off.

-B
    iptables -I INPUT -s 64.88.128.0/19 -j DROP
    iptables -I INPUT -s 66.111.192.0/18 -j DROP
    iptables-save > /etc/sysconfig/iptables

Sounds like "Matchstick Men" to me.
    Know It All Solutions Incorporated
    Web Design, Web Development and Web Hosting

Originally posted by vito
    Do what I do.

Vito
    I did that at work the other day (they wanted to sell us new long distance plan), the other line rang, I put them on hold, and "forgot" to come back to them. Oh well.

When I used to have a home phone, I used to tell the poor people that Id be right back, I had to get the cat outta the washer or dryer, and Id be back shortly...come back 30 min later and they werent there anymore, I guess they weren't interested. =P
    Happily hosting @ Dathorn.com (Since 3/2003), Ispeeds.net (Since 2004), & Quadspeedi.net (Since 7/2005)!
    Hosted @ FDC for 9 Years

Originally posted by Vamp22
    I did that at work the other day (they wanted to sell us new long distance plan), the other line rang, I put them on hold, and "forgot" to come back to them. Oh well.

When I used to have a home phone, I used to tell the poor people that Id be right back, I had to get the cat outta the washer or dryer, and Id be back shortly...come back 30 min later and they werent there anymore, I guess they weren't interested. =P
    what do you mean when you used to have a home phone how can you live without a home phone? Surely you don't just use your mobile?

Here are some useful tips

Three Little Words That Work !!

(1)The three little words are: "Hold on, Please..."

Saying this, while putting down your phone and walking off (instead of hanging-up immediately) would make each telemarketing call so much more time-consuming that boiler room sales would grind to a halt. Then when you eventually hear the phone company's "beep-beep-beep" tone, you know it's time to go back and hang up your handset, which has efficiently completed its task. These three little words will help eliminate telephone soliciting.

(2) Do you ever get those annoying phone calls with no one on the other end? This is a telemarketing technique where a machine makes phone calls and records the time of day when a person answers the phone. This technique is used to determine the best time of day for a "real" sales person to call back and get someone at home. What you can do after answering, if you notice there is no one there, is to immediately start hitting your # button on the phone, 6 or 7 times, as quickly as possible. This confuses the machine that dialed the call and it kicks your number out of their system. Since doing this, my phone calls have decreased dramatically.

(3) Another Good Idea:
    When you get "ads" enclosed with your phone or utility bill, return these "ads" with your payment. Let the sending companies throw their own junk mail away. When you get those "pre-approved" letters in the mail for everything from credit cards to 2nd mortgages and similar type junk, do not throw away the return envelope. Most of these come with postage-paid return envelopes, right? It costs them more than the regular 37cents postage "IF" and when they receive them back.

It costs them nothing if you throw them away! The postage was around 50 cents before! the last increase and it is according to the weight. In that case, why not get rid of some of your other junk mail and put it in these cool little, postage-paid return envelopes. One of Andy Rooney's (60 minutes) ideas. Send an ad for your local chimney cleaner to American Express. Send a pizza coupon to Citibank. If you didn't get anything else that day, then just send them their blank application back!

If you want to remain anonymous, just make sure your name isn't on anything you send them. You can even send the envelope back empty if you want to just to keep them guessing!

Eventually, the banks and credit card companies will begin getting their own junk back in the mail.

Let's let them know what it's like to get lots of junk mail, and best of all they're paying for it...Twice!

Let's help keep our postal service busy since they are saying that
    e-mail is cutting into their business profits, and that's why they need to increase postage costs again. You get the idea !

If enough people follow these tips, it will work----
    WCSWEB.NETWORKS - 24x7 Support We're here to help anytime, day or night!
    WCSHOST.Net <- Call us (800) 590-0017 ->
    Linux based Cpanel Shared and Reseller premium Hosting with Fantastico & rvskin
    Windows based Helm Shared Premium Hosting / Remote Backup solutions

Thats... EVIL! but damn good gotta do that mail thing muahahahha

I was about to mention that. Good thing I read to the end of the thread

Anyone ever tried selling their web hosting to a telemarketer who phones?
    --

lol, I'll try sending junk mail back with postage paid envelopes but since i'll never know what happened i'll probably lose interest quickly

My favorite part of a telemarketer calling, is listening them for 5 minutes explainging their product (with short breath) and then quizzing them on it.

Say, for example, they are trying to sell house insurance. Ask them if it covers odd things, like if a chunck of turds disposed out of an airplane landed in your chimney and knocked your fire out in the middle of the night, causing your house to go cold, freezing all your water pipes and making them burst. They get a "little bit confused" at the end of explaing that to them.

Add to the end that this happened once in the past and you had to sue your insurance company for damages, and wouldn't want "that" to happen again!

If you've got a couple free minuted and have a good sense of humour, just toy with them.

you can just act like you don't speak english

Or speak bad english as well.

Or give it to them with a bad fake accent. If you're from america, pretend your british, or vice versa!

Originally posted by blue27
    As soon as I sense it's a sales call I tell them I'm not interested and hang up
    Exactly what I do too. Feel bad the first time, feel good afterwards
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - Enterprise Cloud Infrastructure: Cloud Shared and Reseller, Cloud VPS, and Cloud Hybrid Server

what do you mean when you used to have a home phone how can you live without a home phone? Surely you don't just use your mobile?
    Just my moblie, that's it. About $5 cheaper per month, and free long distance. Free nites/weekends, what's not to love? Oh yah, the fact telemarketers don't call your cell phone!!!
    Happily hosting @ Dathorn.com (Since 3/2003), Ispeeds.net (Since 2004), & Quadspeedi.net (Since 7/2005)!
    Hosted @ FDC for 9 Years

I think it would be funny as hell to start mimicing them!!

Caller: Hello,this is mike from asd calling,how are you today???"
    You:"Same as above"
    Caller:No,I am MIKE,how are you?????
    You:"Same"
    Caller: SLAMS PHONE DOWN (HEHEHEHEHE)

The Dude

Originally posted by MStar
    Anyone ever tried selling their web hosting to a telemarketer who phones?
    Something that I have planned to do over the last few months but has never gotten to the point of actually doing it. For some reasons, just hanging up seems to be a better alternative for me. Though I must admit that telling them to hold one (as suggested above) is more appealing now
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - Enterprise Cloud Infrastructure: Cloud Shared and Reseller, Cloud VPS, and Cloud Hybrid Server

I don't understand the big stink some people make that telemarketing companies take some of charitable donations made over the phone. How else do the charities pay the telemarketing companies to pay the people to call you and ask for donations? In most cases, the percentage is barely enough to cover costs and turn a small profit, because the industry is a rather narrow-margin industry because of the low response rate. Don't bore me with why, I know. So the company making the calls gets a cut, depending on the company and the campaign, it could be over 50%, but it's usually nowhere near that -- any way, why does it really matter when the charity would've gotten $0 otherwise? You are still helping the charity, and no matter how they got your money, part of it would've gone to paying their expenses, whether for advertising, direct mail marketing, and all the other methods they use. Telemarketing is just one of them, and another place some of the donations go to covering.

Hundreds of millions per year that gets raised for charities in response to phone soliciations (hundreds of millions they actually receive, after paying for the telemarketers that do the calling, yes it's that much, and they use that much). I have donated several times in response to calls, and I am selective as to what telemarketers I allow to call me and who I don't ("please add me to your do not call list" really does work).

It's really not that hard to understand.
    Dan Grossman - dan @ awio.com
    My Blog | Affiliate Program for Web Hosts

Hmm I might ove to AUS and start a tellemarketing company then

Where do live? On a remote island in the Bass Strait without phone access?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast