Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So..I get a call..Telemarketer..Gets out of hand

Alright, not to long ago, probably no more than 15 minutes ago I get a call about being entered into some contest.

The guy starts talking and was like You get this and you get that, you also get this, at a very very good price and all that.

Asks me for my credit card type and asks me a couple of questions. Im riding along and answering.

So.. the supervisor comes on, asks for Credit Card # , Bank account # and all that.

I say, I don't want this, I didn't ask for this, and I don't even know who yall are.

Then, this guy gets mad. So I spent 10 - 15 minutes on the phone with him trying to explain because I don't feel right just hanging up in their face, cause their trying to do what their hired for. But, the amount of tone and attitude he was giving me, I just blew off the top.

Just had to blow off steam...

Experienced anything like this?
    Money is the root of all evil. So if you don't want to go crazy, give it all to me

Nope, I just say how did you get this number? Then they hang up
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company

Nope. I never let it get to the point of them upsetting me.

As soon as I sense it's a sales call I tell them I'm not interested and hang up.

Actually the first time I received one of these. So, im a rookie to the telemarketer world haha

edit: thanks for the link
    Money is the root of all evil. So if you don't want to go crazy, give it all to me

I had to do telemarketing back in the student days, so I have a tiny bit of sympathy.

Very tiny.

I've found that hanging up on them - but quietly, o so quietly placing the receiver in the cradle - gives me a few moments of gladness picturing their face when they realise that no one's been listening to the last few no-pause-for-interruptions-hardsell-sentences.

If they're optimistic enough to call back again, I hang up earlier - and a wee bit louder.
    Lesli Schauf, TLM Network
    Linux and Windows Hosting: Scribehost

lol, if you're ex - directory, just ask how they got it, they shouldn't have it
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company

Just say "not interested" and hang up.
    I don't understand why people think it's necessary to be polite to telemarketers who are invading my home on a system I pay for.
    I consider it the same as Spam. People delete that without responding. Do the same with telemarkets.
    I am on both state and national do-not-call lists, but still get some, particularly from charities.
    Laura K.
    http://www.madmousergraphics.com
    graphic design for grownups

be wary of charities, because ususally they work out a deal with the telemarketers, that $20 you donate, the charatie only gets $4 of it (IE: 20%), the telemarketer gets the rest

yea, im aware of it now. I would have just said Im not interested and hung up. But when the guy said $100,000 Grand Prize something I just had to listen a little , little , bit more.

what you have to do when a telemarketer calls you, is try to sell them something!
    For example.. hosting! haha

I've had telemarketers try to argue with me, but I also usually dont let it get to that point. I just say, sorry not interested but thanks for calling and hang up before they can say anything.

Originally posted by ilyash
    what you have to do when a telemarketer calls you, is try to sell them something!
    For example.. hosting! haha
    Sounds like a plan.

Just tell them you're busy right now, and that if they give you their number, you'll call them back.
    nu-metal.org :: coming soon

I've always liked telemarketers calling, I've made it a hobby of coming up with ways to get THEM to hang up on you. So far the most effective way is to pull the phone slightly away from your face about 6 inches or so, and then say

"Quick detective start the trace it's them again"
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

Thats a good one!
    Also you could be like...
    Sure ill think about buying it, but ill have to consult my lawyers first, i mean the last guys who tried to scam me.. they ended up doing 5 years in jail and a million dollars poorer [laugh goes here]

Keep in mind that saying you're not interested or busy is an invitation for them to call you back. This does not remove you from their sales list and does not prevent you from getting future calls.

If you don't want to hear from them again, just say "Please put me on your do-not-call list." Then hang up. It is then illegal for them to call you again; if they do, you can file suit for a fine of $500 or more per instance.

Remember those words the next time a telemarketer annoys you.
    Erica Douglass, Founder, Simpli Hosting, Inc.
    I founded Simpli Hosting, and sold it in 2007 to Silicon Valley Web Hosting after over 6 years in the business.
    Now I'm blogging at erica.biz!

Ask 'em for their company name, their name, their supervisor's name, and phone number. City/state may be good too. Once they give you this info you tell them you are on the national do not call list and that their information will be reported. They usually hang up instantly. One time I called a company back and asked for the person...they acted like they weren't a telemarketing co and didn't know who I was and what I was talking about when I asked why they call me when I'm on the do not call list. It's hilarious.

When I get calls, I usually let them talk a little bit to make sure its not something important to me, then when I know its an obvious waste of time, I say "I'm not interested". If they try and continue talking I hangup. Its quite simple.

RMF

I have friends who did telemarketing for a while. From what I've heard, they LOVE the customers who just hang up. They meet their quota faster, and dont have to deal with someone who knows they wont buy. If you know you wont buy, just tell them and hang up. They just need a job, like you. It's not their fault.
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat
    [email protected]
    EMAIL=Use the board's email system, please.

Originally posted by madmouser
    Just say "not interested" and hang up.
    I don't understand why people think it's necessary to be polite to telemarketers who are invading my home on a system I pay for.
    I consider it the same as Spam. People delete that without responding. Do the same with telemarkets.
    I am on both state and national do-not-call lists, but still get some, particularly from charities.
    Saying "not interested" IS being polite, it's what I say when I'm NOT being polite that's funny.

My wife hates telemarketer calls more than I do, because she feels sorry for them once I get ahold of them on the phone, she's even been known to disobey my "hand me the phone now" command and just hang up on them instead to spare them whatever treatment I have in store for them.

Though the worst you can usually do is just string them along, ask questions, etc, then when you've drug it out as long as possible just politely tell them "I have no desire at all to buy the $#!7 you're selling, telemarketing calls piss me off but making you waste time talking to me means maybe 3 or 4 other people were spared your crap, and that's my good deed for the day, do you have anything else you'd like to add or am I done wasting your time now?". I rarely get to finish this sentence they usually hang up ON ME.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Originally posted by Xshare
    I have friends who did telemarketing for a while. From what I've heard, they LOVE the customers who just hang up. They meet their quota faster, and dont have to deal with someone who knows they wont buy. If you know you wont buy, just tell them and hang up. They just need a job, like you. It's not their fault.
    They need a job that doesn't piss off people, they need to quit calling PURPOSELY around dinnertime because they know people will be home to answer their #$*!(! call. I have no sympathy for someone who takes a job as a telemarketer, there's always something honorable like shoveling crap at a horse farm.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Originally posted by Xshare
    They just need a job, like you. It's not their fault.
    That's like saying you shouldn't get mad at terrorists appointed to commit crimes.

Equating calling someone to KILLING someone is despicable.
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat
    [email protected]

in AUS nobody gets any telemarketing calls not one.....

Do what I do.

"Hey, you know, that sounds great. I'm really interested and I'd like to hear more. But hang on. My doorbell just rang. Let me take care of that and I'll be right back, OK?"

Then put them on hold and go back to work (or whatever you were doing).

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Originally posted by vito
    Do what I do.

"Hey, you know, that sounds great. I'm really interested and I'd like to hear more. But hang on. My doorbell just rang. Let me take care of that and I'll be right back, OK?"

Vito
    now that is just being a tight ***

The longest any one of them ever stayed on hold was 20 minutes.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Telemarketer: Hi would you like to buy... blah blah blah

You: Oh yes!! But can you give me your home number? I'd like to buy it later tonight, when you're off shift, but I want you to do the sale.

TM: Sorry, I can't give out my home number?

You: Oh, you don't want people calling you at home?

TM: Nope.

You: Good, neither do I. ::HANGUP::
    AIM=IQPhat
    [email protected]

well, if I ever get a telemarketing call (which is very unlikely) then that's what I will be doing

The only call I know of was when my aunt recieved a call about a phone survey, but that was when I was 6 and I think she opted in for it

Well, this may be a bit shady, but whenever a telemarketer called (ever since I registered on the Do Not Call list I haven't gotten but one call), I'd answer, without listening to their initial sales pitch, "911, What's your emergency?" (For those WHTers not from the US, 911 is what we dial for an emergency.)

Needless to say I would instantly hear a click - the sound of the call ending right away. One time I had a nice young woman say, "Oh my gosh I'm soo sorry, wrong number! There's no emergency!" and then she hung up.

I do feel bad about that sometimes, but they really began to annoy me, calling during dinner and whatnot and so I started answering with the 911 thing and the calls stopped becoming so numerous.

Best Regards,
    Waylon
    Last edited by peersignal; 03-24-2004 at 10:27 PM.

Originally posted by Bub Host
    in AUS nobody gets any telemarketing calls not one.....
    Rubbish.

We used to get several a week. In fact I get less here in The States than in Oz.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Re: So..I get a call..Telemarketer..Gets out of hand

Originally posted by JWise
    So.. the supervisor comes on, asks for Credit Card # , Bank account # and all that.
    Sounds more like you were in the process of being ripped off.

-B
    iptables -I INPUT -s 64.88.128.0/19 -j DROP
    iptables -I INPUT -s 66.111.192.0/18 -j DROP
    iptables-save > /etc/sysconfig/iptables

Sounds like "Matchstick Men" to me.
    Know It All Solutions Incorporated
    Web Design, Web Development and Web Hosting

Originally posted by vito
    Do what I do.

Vito
    I did that at work the other day (they wanted to sell us new long distance plan), the other line rang, I put them on hold, and "forgot" to come back to them. Oh well.

When I used to have a home phone, I used to tell the poor people that Id be right back, I had to get the cat outta the washer or dryer, and Id be back shortly...come back 30 min later and they werent there anymore, I guess they weren't interested. =P
    Happily hosting @ Dathorn.com (Since 3/2003), Ispeeds.net (Since 2004), & Quadspeedi.net (Since 7/2005)!
    Hosted @ FDC for 9 Years

Originally posted by Vamp22
    I did that at work the other day (they wanted to sell us new long distance plan), the other line rang, I put them on hold, and "forgot" to come back to them. Oh well.

When I used to have a home phone, I used to tell the poor people that Id be right back, I had to get the cat outta the washer or dryer, and Id be back shortly...come back 30 min later and they werent there anymore, I guess they weren't interested. =P
    what do you mean when you used to have a home phone how can you live without a home phone? Surely you don't just use your mobile?

Here are some useful tips

Three Little Words That Work !!

(1)The three little words are: "Hold on, Please..."

Saying this, while putting down your phone and walking off (instead of hanging-up immediately) would make each telemarketing call so much more time-consuming that boiler room sales would grind to a halt. Then when you eventually hear the phone company's "beep-beep-beep" tone, you know it's time to go back and hang up your handset, which has efficiently completed its task. These three little words will help eliminate telephone soliciting.

(2) Do you ever get those annoying phone calls with no one on the other end? This is a telemarketing technique where a machine makes phone calls and records the time of day when a person answers the phone. This technique is used to determine the best time of day for a "real" sales person to call back and get someone at home. What you can do after answering, if you notice there is no one there, is to immediately start hitting your # button on the phone, 6 or 7 times, as quickly as possible. This confuses the machine that dialed the call and it kicks your number out of their system. Since doing this, my phone calls have decreased dramatically.

(3) Another Good Idea:
    When you get "ads" enclosed with your phone or utility bill, return these "ads" with your payment. Let the sending companies throw their own junk mail away. When you get those "pre-approved" letters in the mail for everything from credit cards to 2nd mortgages and similar type junk, do not throw away the return envelope. Most of these come with postage-paid return envelopes, right? It costs them more than the regular 37cents postage "IF" and when they receive them back.

It costs them nothing if you throw them away! The postage was around 50 cents before! the last increase and it is according to the weight. In that case, why not get rid of some of your other junk mail and put it in these cool little, postage-paid return envelopes. One of Andy Rooney's (60 minutes) ideas. Send an ad for your local chimney cleaner to American Express. Send a pizza coupon to Citibank. If you didn't get anything else that day, then just send them their blank application back!

If you want to remain anonymous, just make sure your name isn't on anything you send them. You can even send the envelope back empty if you want to just to keep them guessing!

Eventually, the banks and credit card companies will begin getting their own junk back in the mail.

Let's let them know what it's like to get lots of junk mail, and best of all they're paying for it...Twice!

Let's help keep our postal service busy since they are saying that
    e-mail is cutting into their business profits, and that's why they need to increase postage costs again. You get the idea !

If enough people follow these tips, it will work----
    WCSWEB.NETWORKS - 24x7 Support We're here to help anytime, day or night!
    WCSHOST.Net <- Call us (800) 590-0017 ->
    Linux based Cpanel Shared and Reseller premium Hosting with Fantastico & rvskin
    Windows based Helm Shared Premium Hosting / Remote Backup solutions

Thats... EVIL! but damn good gotta do that mail thing muahahahha

I was about to mention that. Good thing I read to the end of the thread

Anyone ever tried selling their web hosting to a telemarketer who phones?
    --

lol, I'll try sending junk mail back with postage paid envelopes but since i'll never know what happened i'll probably lose interest quickly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast